Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 27, 2017   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Info for Not Purple Strawberry

I am growing this and was wondering the fruit size, shape and color. I've only picked one fruit and it is orange-red in color, probably 4 oz.. Shape is maybe beefsteak, but not globe.
Plant is regular leaf, indeterminate.

Thanks
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2017   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

NPS is a 4-6 oz beefsteak with a purple color. Cross of German Red Strawberry with Cherokee Purple. Highly productive, RL., indet. Very delicious.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2017   #3
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Mine are averaging around a pound each. I removed my first one just today, here's a pic. Left to right: NPS, GGWT, Barlow's Best Black
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NPS GGWT BBB.JPG (157.2 KB, 328 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Spart... those are beautiful!
Old June 28, 2017   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

update

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30391

From Bill Jeffers,aka Travis,about what to expect for this variety.

He also sent me lots of seeds for NPS along with many more, most of which he bred himself, and Little Dixie was my fave.

Another link I pulled up was new for 2017 from Marianna's
also the beefsteak one,not a heart.

Carolyn
Old June 28, 2017   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Because if it is a heart, then its just Purple Strawberry.
Old June 28, 2017   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Because if it is a heart, then its just Purple Strawberry.
You are confusing me Marsha, but that's uncommon for me sometimes at all for there are lots of things that confuse me,such as why is it raining in the backyard and the sun is shining in the frontyard..

If you go back up to my post above and look at the link and see what Bill Jeffers had to say,as well as what was said at Marianna's,at least that helped me what to expect with this variety. And my plants are out and NPS is not one of them.

Carolyn
Old June 28, 2017   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
You are confusing me Marsha, but that's uncommon for me sometimes at all for there are lots of things that confuse me,such as why is it raining in the backyard and the sun is shining in the frontyard..

If you go back up to my post above and look at the link and see what Bill Jeffers had to say,as well as what was said at Marianna's,at least that helped me what to expect with this variety. And my plants are out and NPS is not one of them.

Carolyn
What's the confusing part? Not Purple Strawberry was named that by Susan Anderson, because the fruit are not heart shaped, but rather they are boat shaped purple beefsteaks.

There is also Purple Strawberry from this cross, (German Red Strawberry X Cherokee Purple) which is heart shaped.
Does that help?
Old June 28, 2017   #9
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Picked 3 NPS today.They were about baseball size and had excellent taste and texture. I did notice the skin seems a little thicker than the Cherokee Purple and Indian Zebra which were both amazing.

Cherokee Purple and Indian Zebra are almost identical in every way. Cherokee Purple was a touch bigger but I have one Indian Zebra on another plant that is just as big. Identical color which was brick red.This is a little unusual as the Cherokee Purple I had from another source was darker, but this may resolve itself later. Too early to tell. Also one Indian plant had more tomatoes on the bottom truss but one just had 3.

Arkansas Traveler are small but they taste great. Romana Plum is no better than a supermarket tomato. Ripe tomatoes on everything but Cherokee Green which is loaded with green tomatoes( not ripe) and Brandywine from Croatia with only four small green tomatoes

Full review later
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #10
creister
Tomatovillian™

I think I have photos attached of what I'm getting. If not will try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0191.JPG (45.7 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0201.JPG (47.2 KB, 226 views)
Old July 5, 2017   #11
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Creister- not sure what you have, but that is definitely not NPS! See pics above. Good luck!!

D.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Creister,please see my link in a post above as well as what Travis,Bill Jeffers, said about getting a heart or a beef as well as the link to Marianna's,with same.

Carolyn
Old July 14, 2017   #13
creister
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

I got the seeds from you two years ago. Maybe I grabbed the wrong packet when planting seeds. So does it look like anything else you have grown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0203.JPG (33.2 KB, 176 views)
Old August 6, 2017   #14
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I did a taste test with Not Purple Strawberry, Cherokee Purple, and India Zebra yesterday and results kinda surprised me. I tried Cherokee Purple and Indian Zebra first and struggled to tell any difference in the taste. Both tasted great.

Last one I tried was Not Purple Strawberry and it was the clear winner. Not even close really on this day. Another day might yield different results as it did the first part of the season. NPS has many small tomatoes on it and is setting really good in the heat. All the tomatoes are perfect. Short compact plant in my garden, but I didn't plant but one. The tomatoes are good size, not quite as large as Cherokee Purple or Indian Zebra. Those Indian Zebra are huge
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2017   #15
kath
Tomatovillian™

Creister, I don't have any ripe ones atm but the first pic shows NPS, all slightly under or over a pound. The second pic shows a ripe one, cut- NPS is the 3rd tomato down from the top on the right side of the photo. Let me know if you'd like some seeds.

kath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170806_172259118.jpg (164.3 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7517.jpg (444.7 KB, 134 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote