Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2017   #16
jillian
Tomatovillian™

JLJ, I bought two of the fiskar 2.6 gallon pails last year and I love them. Sure makes watering with fish emulsion or compost tea much easier. Maybe this should go in products we are happy with thread. I ordered mine.....I think from home depot.

Last edited by jillian; June 23, 2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Typo
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #17
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Lowes #339042 2.6gal can, $16.98, then also save 5% every day with yer Lowes charge. lol
Now I might have to go buy this high dollar can.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #18
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
. . . could have made some hooch with all that molasses . . .
Maybe you did . . . and the alcohol was the angel of death.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #19
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That too Swellcat!

Thanks for the mention of the Fiskars watering cans. I always wondered about them (with that extra handle). I have to wiggle them under the rain barrel to fill. Not sure they are available in Canada any more.

We get some horrid $6 plastic jobs with a small hole on top (difficult to fill without a hose) and a great big blob on the end that holds the rose, making it difficult to pour accurately when the rose is removed. The $10 job that I bought from Cdn Tire looked good, but leaked. I haven't found anything half-decent around here, even though I'm willing to pay more! May have to import a Fiskars one from the US!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #20
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I have used molasses in the past - but for some reason I can't remember why - it might have been for a natural insecticide. It's been so long I can't remember. I still have some and was debating about throwing it out. I do remember that it might have also been used as a nutritional supplement. In any event, it was too messy for me to use so it has sat in my garage for several years! But if it's a weed killer, then it has found a reason to be used!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #21
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
I purchased a vintage galvanized watering can at an estate sale because the modern plastic ones don't do a good job distributing water. I had about seven 72 count trays of tomato seedlings that died out after using that watering can. I had to start all over. Yes, I did thoroughly rinse the can out before using it. Lesson learned.
I don't understand why using a galvanized watering can would be a problem, unless seedlings are very susceptible to the minuscule amount of zinc that may be released. I've surfed the internet, and most agree with this article: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/spe...containers.htm Galvanized containers are sold specifically for vegetable growing. I use a galvanized watering can for my tomato plants. Maybe your can was once used to apply Roundup.

Last edited by sjamesNorway; June 25, 2017 at 03:22 AM.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote