Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 19, 2017   #1
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Default Juliet , A Good Canning Variety !

I have one Juliet plant (Bonnie product).
Needless to say it is productive.
I am doing some canning and noticed that Juliet is very meaty in comparison to other varieties, as I slice them int the pot.
I think it is good for canning whole. The next time I am going to can couple of quarts.
It is a perfect cooking tomato in Roma and San Marzano class.

Anybody cans Juliet ? Or what is your favorite for canning whole ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #2
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Juliet is one of my wife's favorites for canning whole, because she says the skins slip off easily. I like them because they are so productive and disease resistant. We both like them best for pico de gallo, or any fresh uncooked tomato-based salsa, because they retain their texture so well. We do, however, prefer them quite ripe, and find they are not necessarily ripe just because they turn red; it takes a few days after that for them to get nice dark red, and much more tasty.
Old June 20, 2017   #3
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

We've canned them. They make a pretty product. The biggest problem is they are so vigorous & productive they can become a volunteer weed. My wife still complains about the over-ripe ones I tossed into a flower bed. Now if I see a Juliet looking fruit developing on a stray tomato plant, I pull it out.
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Shawn and Bill.
So it confirms my thinking about Juliet.
They also make good fresh sliced (length wise ) sauce on past. It is a departure from ordinary tomato sauce.
Probably they can be dehydrated better too.
How about on the grill. Make a kebob skew of 3, 4 of them and trow it on the grill . Most juicy tomatoes won't hold when grilled.
More ways to cook with Juliet .....

Happy Gardening !
Old June 20, 2017   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Juliet is one of my wife's favorites for canning whole, because she says the skins slip off easily. I like them because they are so productive and disease resistant. We both like them best for pico de gallo, or any fresh uncooked tomato-based salsa, because they retain their texture so well. We do, however, prefer them quite ripe, and find they are not necessarily ripe just because they turn red; it takes a few days after that for them to get nice dark red, and much more tasty.
that is interesting that you mention they need to ripen literally off the vine. I grew them last year and thought they were awful. no flavor what so ever. maybe i will try them again.
Old June 22, 2017   #6
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

I grow Juliet every fall. They are very productive in the fall. I do not grow in the spring. They will start setting fruit in Sept., and continue until a freeze. It is the only variety worth growing in the fall. Also very good for canning.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Juliet kept on producing for us in 2015 when it rained 73+". I could absolutely see it being a whole canning tomato.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #8
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

I used to grow 50 juliet's out in my tomato garden mainly for canning. I agree they are great for whole toms when canning. The skins really do slip off very easy in one piece once the stem end is cut off. The plants are very productive. It took me a while to realize they were really not ready when I first thought they were. Once I let them hang the flavor was much better and the cool fall nights seemed to help as well. I would eat some fresh but when they started falling off the vines from reaching into the plant I knew they were ready to be canned.
Old June 22, 2017   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks ye all.
I have already harvested enough from my lone plant to can maybe 2 quarts, in short notice. Few of them are as big as Roma ( @ 1.5 oz ) but most are smaller.
I am going to do it by water bath method.
Some people complaint that Juliet is acidic. But That is good in cooking. Why do they add wine in cooking ? Partly because to add some acidity. Alcohol evaporates anyway.

Happy Gardening !
Old June 23, 2017   #10
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Last year, I would cook them down in the oven until they were kinda carmelized, then blend them up and make paste for the freezer. That stuff was the best, but it ran out too soon, had to plant more tomatoes this year. Someone on another forum gave me the idea to do this on the barbecue (charcoal). I'm going to try it.
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

There are two different Juliet versions

https://www.google.com/search?q=Two+...&bih=788&dpr=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bree...&bih=788&dpr=1

Thislastone fromJohnny'smakesitveryclear

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetable...-seed-707.html

Carolyn
Old June 24, 2017   #12
WaltRoos
Tomatovillian™

Default "Sun Dried"

OK then, dehydrated.

Juliet is my go to tomato for drying. I only know of the one I use, the hybrid F1. The plant grows very large, very fast, making lots and lots of very early tomatoes. They are attached lightly to the plant with a very thin stem. Touch a ripe or semi- ripe one and it falls into your hand. All of mine for the past 3 years have been blemish free. I do pick them when red and then let them further ripen in the kitchen for a week or more. They do usually have a bit of white/green inside near the stem which I have been taking out, but I'm pretty sure that that is a waste of time when drying them.

The dried taste is the excellent semi-sour taste of good sun dried tomatoes. No growing problems growing in a double 5 gal. "Global Bucket" system. Seems very healthy no diseases so far, great production, long living plant. Taste ok fresh, but not up to some other early tomatoes like 4th of July etc.

Fantastic Drying Tomato IMO.

walt
WaltRoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #13
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn, likely my aged brain is just missing something obvious, but I don't see anything in those links about two Juliets? Just Juliet F1 1999 AAS Winner -- which is, I think, the only one I've ever seen seed for or grown.

I have seen some of your discussions of two Santas -- Andrew Chu Santa F1 and the Procacci Brothers and Santa F1/Santa Sweets?

And I have seen Juliet F1 referenced as a larger fruited sister variety to the Santas . . . but are there two tomatoes named Juliet?
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My internet service is slow tonight. So I could not check the links Carolyn posted.
What I have is a Bonnie plant. Fruit size range from 1/2 oz to 1 1/2 oz, average about 1 oz.

in this picture you see couple of them on the far right and Sungold in the middle along with Esterina. There are some much smaller red grapes that are not Juliet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ch-grp.jpg (56.3 KB, 77 views)

Happy Gardening !
Old June 25, 2017   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Carolyn, likely my aged brain is just missing something obvious, but I don't see anything in those links about two Juliets? Just Juliet F1 1999 AAS Winner -- which is, I think, the only one I've ever seen seed for or grown.

I have seen some of your discussions of two Santas -- Andrew Chu Santa F1 and the Procacci Brothers and Santa F1/Santa Sweets?

And I have seen Juliet F1 referenced as a larger fruited sister variety to the Santas . . . but are there two tomatoes named Juliet?
Check the Johnny's link again where it says that Juliet F1 is a larger version of Santa,meaning Santa Sweets.

Two variety names but one, the F1, just larger than the other, Santa Sweets.So essentially two Juliets.

I am NOT the first person to talk about two Juliets and if you do a search here or at Google (add Tville to your Google search) no doubt you'll come up with the same answer.

Carolyn