Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 23, 2017   #16
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Can you post what kind of ticks these are when you find out? Tick-checks are necessary in my part of NY State, too. Over the weekend I caved and bought more lawn granules that kill ticks, ants, etc. While I hate to potentially kill beneficial bugs, a bad experience with the antibiotics that prevent Lyme disease taught me to embrace bug poison.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #17
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Can you post what kind of ticks these are when you find out? Tick-checks are necessary in my part of NY State, too. Over the weekend I caved and bought more lawn granules that kill ticks, ants, etc. While I hate to potentially kill beneficial bugs, a bad experience with the antibiotics that prevent Lyme disease taught me to embrace bug poison.
I have learned the hard way. I got bitten by a tick in early April. About two weeks later, my knees started hurting (arthritis like). Then my neck tightened up. I went to the doctor and they put me on a heavy duty antibiotic-the Dr. said the tests were not always conclusive and many insurance plans do not cover the test, so I don't really know whether I have Lyme disease or not, but two weeks after taking the antibiotic, I still have knee pain and can't get my garden caught up. I get really sore after a couple of hours of work.

Although I grow organically, I wouldn't hesitate to use bug sprays on me. I still won't put any pesticides around my garden.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
I have learned the hard way. I got bitten by a tick in early April. About two weeks later, my knees started hurting (arthritis like). Then my neck tightened up. I went to the doctor and they put me on a heavy duty antibiotic-the Dr. said the tests were not always conclusive and many insurance plans do not cover the test, so I don't really know whether I have Lyme disease or not, but two weeks after taking the antibiotic, I still have knee pain and can't get my garden caught up. I get really sore after a couple of hours of work.

Although I grow organically, I wouldn't hesitate to use bug sprays on me. I still won't put any pesticides around my garden.
Sorry to here about this.
It is getting wide spread in many areas.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #19
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Have not heard back yet. Pretty sure it is this one...
Attached Images
File Type: png tick spotter.png (348.2 KB, 89 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #20
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry to hear about anyone with a tick transmitted illness. I know many friends
over the years with it. In NY a Medic friend has attend support groups to give and
receive help with endless troubles related that some Doctors do not understand...

A very active skinny lunatic crazy great energy fun loving good friend with no real
symtoms that were obvious but some minor aches he just thought were related to just being a nut....had a bad fall skiing and needed knee surgery. He tested positive for Lime
and had to postpone the surgery to treat the Lime. Only then did it make sense.

I do think what helped is my oil spray since they never attached. Just two on one pup
and three we found on the other near the face and inside ear where they eventually
found a less aromatic spot. That was last years recipe. I made a new one last night that
is more for ticks.

I just ordered Permethrin 10%. Not used for skin but i'll soak some cable ties i use for
tomato ties and loop around shoe laces etc. It is used for a clothing soak but i don't
want it on my skin at all. Nasty stuff. We are organic and i don't plan to use it on the
lawn or near the garden but i want it around just in case.

I expect the upcoming long weekend will be another battle. I have a few dozen jars i
plan to drop in live ones to test what might work organically. DE, etc.
Old May 23, 2017   #21
oakley
Tomatovillian™

We do have a mass murderer, probably a pack of coyotes, that slayed a deer near the
barn. Pups found a pile of leg bones and another skunk tail and fur near the garden.
Possibly a fallen deer could have led to the overpopulation. I doubt the mountain lion
is still around. They tend to move on.
Old May 23, 2017   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I pulled a tick off of our 4 year old grandchild's head a week ago right after they got to our house. It had just attached itself. He, his brother, and parents live in town in an older section that has about an acre of land per home. Just about everyone there has a dog, so ticks and fleas are be expected.

Now, my head itches! I've got some pesticide called Worry Free that I'm going to give them. http://www.worryfreebrand.com/All-Pr...rate/Overview/ I couldn't find anything about ticks on the site, but it says it kills ticks on the instructions manual. The product is supposed to be safe to use up until the day before harvest, so it should be safe for them to use on their yard.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Mineral oil and kerosene works big time on man and beast.
Worth
Old May 23, 2017   #24
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I realize it is your favored bathing fluid, though in all my years i know of only one
other person ever using such a thing...to get pipe dope off his crotch on Penrod 64 out
in the gulf...after a hazing ritual.
Old May 23, 2017   #25
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Use a permethrin formulated for clothing. They will still crawl on you but are less likely to attach.
A lot less likely.

Sawyer is what I use.

From the link:
"Subjects wearing Insect Shield treated clothing had a 93% reduction (p<0.0001) in the total incidence of tick bites compared to subjects using standard tick bite prevention measures."

https://www.insectshield.com/Tick-Study.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A...6uL&ref=plSrch
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #26
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Use a permethrin formulated for clothing. They will still crawl on you but are less likely to attach.
A lot less likely.

Sawyer is what I use.

From the link:
"Subjects wearing Insect Shield treated clothing had a 93% reduction (p<0.0001) in the total incidence of tick bites compared to subjects using standard tick bite prevention measures."

https://www.insectshield.com/Tick-Study.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A...6uL&ref=plSrch
That's the one i'm familiar with but i don't want to soak my clothing. An up-coming
BBQ is my concern. Everyone likes my oil spray and i'll have to make a big batch as they
will be asking for it. I'll cancel the party if i can't get this under control. Once the lawn is
cleaned up they should move to the tall field grass.
Old May 23, 2017   #27
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

I spray clothing, not a fan of soaking either.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
I realize it is your favored bathing fluid, though in all my years i know of only one
other person ever using such a thing...to get pipe dope off his crotch on Penrod 64 out
in the gulf...after a hazing ritual.
Did you know hair oil and baby oil are both mineral oil with perfume added?
Mineral oil will knock those critters out they cant breath.
Same goes for lice.
I use ISO 46 hydraulic fluid for skin oil.
Worth
Old May 23, 2017   #29
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I don't even want to go outside after seeing those pictures!
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #30
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the follow-up, Oakley. I was guessing they were dog ticks.

The lawn granules mentioned in my earlier post won't go in or near the garden beds; I only use chrysanthemum-derived insecticides and BT there when necessary. (Salt, I believe that Worry Free is one of the chrysanthemum-based ones, and I like it a lot.) But the lawn, well... The neighborhood herd of deer use it more often than I do, so I'll stick with the strong stuff. This part of NYS is riddled with ticks, and Lyme is widespread. My secretary has chronic Lyme, as do several other colleagues and acquaintances. It's not pleasant.

Urbanheirlooms, I wish you a speedy recovery!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote