Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 6, 2017   #1
NewbieGrower
Tomatovillian™

Default Set up 2nd EarthTainer using EVERGREEN SOIL CONDITIONER

Could never find "pine bark fines" of any type. Then was told that EVERGEEN SOIL CONDITIONER is just ground up pine bark. So did 3:2:1 ratio with Miracle-Gro. The ground up bark is smaller than mini nuggets but variety of sizes including splinters 2 inches long. It made mixing and wetting harder as it took longer to really get the ground bark wet. And the resulting mix felt really heavy. Didn't plant anything in it today because wanting to stabilize sogginess. But I do think the addition of the ground bark will provide better aeration in the EarthTainer. So I recommend using EVERGREEN SOIL CONDITIONER (at Lowe's) if you can't get pine bark fines.
NewbieGrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I know it is a bit late for me to float this recommendation, but small Orchid Bark will also work well for aeration in an EarthTainer:

https://orchidsupplystore.com/rexius...size-1-gallon/

Not cheap, but if you can find it locally from a trade supplier of flower growing materials, it is an alternative.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #3
NewbieGrower
Tomatovillian™

The black plastic barrier is keeping mix really hot in direct sun and temp is only mid 70s and low humidity. Time to mulch I guess and add insulating wrap around tote.
NewbieGrower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earthtainer mix