Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 28, 2017   #1
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Fish emulsion dilution rates

I have some liquid fish from Peaceful Valley (2-3-0.5) that I wanted to use to lightly feed my seedlings.

When I looked at the bottle, I was surprised to see that it recommended 6-8 Tbs per gallon. I thought that 1 tbs per gallon was a typical dilution? Why does my bottle recommend such a steep ratio? Which dilution would you recommend?

Wasn't sure how to dilute for the seedlings (the math got odd as I only needed 2 cups). What I did was bottom water as usual but I didn't leave the plants in for their full soaking period, so they weren't totally moistened. I then added a squirt of diluted fish (a splash of emulsion in 2 cups of water) around the base of each little plant.
Hope I didn't really mess things up?
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #2
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

The first time you put fish emulsion on plants they should have at least 1 set of true leaves.The solution should be very weak.I just put some on mine the other day and I mix it in a bucket and put enough fish emulsion to just barely make the water look dirty.The water is still clear and you can see the bottom of the bucket, but looks a little dirty.

And from my experience with it it seems to build up in the soil every time you use it even if you use the same amount every time.You will know if you put to much as the plants will wilt in the sun.The good thing with fish emulsion is you can flush them with fresh water and put in the shade and the next day they are fine.Mix it weak and be on the safe side.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but don't measure anything.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017   #3
henry
Tomatovillian™

If you are going to spray it on 50 to 1 or more and not in the heat of the day. 5 gallons before dilution per acre is the rate we have used.

1 to 160 is the dilution we are using on garlic with no problems.

Last edited by henry; March 30, 2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: adding to.
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017   #4
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARgardener View Post
I have some liquid fish from Peaceful Valley (2-3-0.5) that I wanted to use to lightly feed my seedlings.

When I looked at the bottle, I was surprised to see that it recommended 6-8 Tbs per gallon. I thought that 1 tbs per gallon was a typical dilution? Why does my bottle recommend such a steep ratio? Which dilution would you recommend?

Wasn't sure how to dilute for the seedlings (the math got odd as I only needed 2 cups). What I did was bottom water as usual but I didn't leave the plants in for their full soaking period, so they weren't totally moistened. I then added a squirt of diluted fish (a splash of emulsion in 2 cups of water) around the base of each little plant.
That does seem high. I believe Alaska fish fertilizer is 2 tbs per gallon. Last season I did 1/2 tbs per gallon when I first potted up, and then 1 tbs per gallon on mature seedlings. My wife didn't care for the smell in the lower part of our house so this year I am using an organic powder fertilizer from tractor supply. They recommend 1 tbs per gallon for mature plants and 1/2 that rate for seedlings. BTW, I quickly distract her when she asks what that smell is..
Old March 29, 2017   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARgardener View Post

I looked at this page https://www.groworganic.com/pvfs-liq...305-5-gal.html and it states that the 6-8 TBS if for side dressing. I would not be soaking your grow medium with that strong of a dose.

I would try adding 1/4 of a teaspoon to your 2 cups and then check to see how your plants respond in 3-5 days. Adjust the mix as necessary.
Old March 29, 2017   #6
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Ive used fish emulsion for several years. 6-8 tsp is for a full sized tomato plant. For seedlings I use about a half tsp to start and up it 1/2 tsp for each new leaf set. I wouldn't recommend using fish emulsion as a foliar, every time I tried to it would cause discoloration and/or damage to the leaves. At fruitset I apply 8 tbs per week.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote