Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 6, 2016   #61
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Awesome view Hudson.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #62
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Wildcat !!!
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #63
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Brandywine Sudduth is the first variety to ripen in our GH this year with Big Brandy coming in a very close second. We planted the seeds on January 1st and this tomato will be ripe by the end of April - I think. That's 120 days from seed. We will be eating our first ever Brandywine Sudduth very soon!!

April 30 (assuming it is ripe by then) is a new record for the earliest ripe tomato (not including cherry tomatoes) for our GH in Wyoming, Zone 3! The old record was June 10th I believe. It is nice to have a heated GH for the first time this year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0868_1024.jpg (258.8 KB, 204 views)
Old April 24, 2016   #64
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Hudson, awesome... I love the variety, and those are darn perdy too
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #65
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Brandywine Pink Sudduth is an impressive Heirloom! I should have read Carolyn's book years ago - I am surprised at the yield to be honest with you. Can't wait to taste it - won't be long now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1042_1024.jpg (280.4 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1034_1024.jpg (277.5 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1035_1024.jpg (328.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1039_1024.jpg (346.2 KB, 164 views)
Old April 28, 2016   #66
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
While you're trying Brandywine Sudduth, don't forget to try Brandywine OTV, too.

OTV is a big red beefsteak, instead of Sudduth which is pink, but oh man does it produce!

Last year (which is the first year I tried it) it produced two-fisted picture-perfect red tomatoes. Wish I had a scale, because some of them had to weigh over 2 lbs. They looked like the poster child for heirloom tomatoes.

Both are awesome!
Great to know Manhattan, as I am growing this for the first time this year. Sudduth's has always been a great tomato for me, but yes, rather stingy. How is the flavor on the OTV? Carolyn raves about it in her book and here.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #67
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Great to know Manhattan, as I am growing this for the first time this year. Sudduth's has always been a great tomato for me, but yes, rather stingy. How is the flavor on the OTV? Carolyn raves about it in her book and here.
And all should know that OTV is not pureBrandywine, and in retrospect,perhaps Craig and I should not have called it OTV Brandywine, but we did.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w..._(Off_The_Vine)

Craig had sent out seeds of Yellow Brandywine and one person sent back to him seeds and I think a picture of a very large red fruit.

Craig didn't have the space to try and dehybridize it so he sent it to me, and as Tania said,it took me 5 years to get it stable.

Regardless of the naming,it's a darn good tasty tomato as others said in the link,and also others say for SSE annual Yearbook listings as well.

Carolyn
Old April 29, 2016   #68
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
OTV is a big red beefsteak, instead of Sudduth which is pink, but oh man does it produce!

Last year (which is the first year I tried it) it produced two-fisted picture-perfect red tomatoes. Wish I had a scale, because some of them had to weigh over 2 lbs. They looked like the poster child for heirloom tomatoes.
TC - When you say "oh man does OTV produce" do you mean that OTV produces a large quantity of tomatoes or that OTV produces large sized attractive tomatoes - or both. Is OTV more prolific than Brandywine Sudduth? Do you have some photos you will share so we can see what the poster child for heirloom tomatoes looks like? I'd really like to see what yours look like with the awesome experience you had with OTV !!

Last edited by Hudson_WY; April 29, 2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old April 29, 2016   #69
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson_WY View Post
TC - When you say "oh man does OTV produce" do you mean that OTV produces a large quantity of tomatoes or that OTV produces large sized attractive tomatoes - or both. Is OTV more prolific than Brandywine Sudduth? Do you have some photos you will share so we can see what the poster child for heirloom tomatoes looks like? I'd really like to see what yours look like with the awesome experience you had with OTV !!
Here are some pictures of OTV Brandywine

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/B..._(Off_The_Vine)

And where I grew Sudduth/Quisenberry and OTV I'd say medium to high yields for both which is great for such large fruited varieties. Taste? they taste differently but for me and many others the taste of both is great, but I will say that Sudduth has a more winey kind of taste.

As always,many variables to consider when assessing the taste and yields of varieties grown in different areas here in the US and also in other countries based on which specific season,how grown,and on and on and on with so many variables.

Carolyn
Old April 29, 2016   #70
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Respectable weight for this Brandywine Sudduth - even with the crack!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1052_1024.jpg (213.0 KB, 123 views)
Old April 29, 2016   #71
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Oh man those are good, the best of Brandywine, or any combination of it, and I have grown every single one I could find.
Old April 29, 2016   #72
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Oh man those are good, the best of Brandywine, or any combination of it, and I have grown every single one I could find.
Mark - your success with Brandywine Sudduth has given me an optimistic view with this variety. What is your opinion of Brandywine OTV? Is OTV one of the Brandywine you have grown?
Old April 29, 2016   #73
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have grown it more than once, and it is also very good, I think you will like it.

Last edited by AKmark; April 30, 2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old May 1, 2016   #74
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

The taste of Brandywine Pink Sudduth is awesome!! I agree with all of those Brandywine lovers out there - We have never tasted anything better!! The photo of the sliced tomato is Brandywine Sudduth.

Below are Big Brandy, Brandy Boy and Brandywine Sudduth. Big Brandy and Brandy Boy inherited the Brandy wine taste and size - IMO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1055_1024.jpg (329.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1056_1024.jpg (232.6 KB, 102 views)
Old May 1, 2016   #75
travis
Tomatovillian™

http://www.liseed.org/brandy.html
travis is offline   Reply With Quote