Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 7, 2016   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPeppa View Post
OK! I'm in the desert so its all a crapshoot
I'm not understading why you said you are in the desert so it's a crapshoot. Haven't you grown tomatoes before,I thought you had. And when I look at your user name with chili as part of it I know that chilis and all sorts of other hot to blistering hot peppers are grown in dry areas.

And you said above that my explanation above was like mud to you.

Please tell me what was muddy and I can try to perhaps explain your questions in a diifferent way.

Carolyn
Old March 7, 2016   #17
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I've grown tomatoes before with only a bit of success but I'm in real desert here and its always a crapshoot no matter. Mostly I've grown cherries and other smaller types. I guess from reading here and there I assumed that the larger tomatoes grow with difficulty in the hotter areas. Not sure if thats actually the case, but it is an experiment for me. I'm growing about 20 or more varieties that are new to me partly to see what will do well here in my desert garden. And all the sort of arbitrary naming of the different brandwines is what I meant by clear as mud. No worries.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #18
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Update: Brandywine Pink Sudduth is leading the pack with growth. I love potato leaf plants and ribbed tomatoes! They just look like they will taste great and the fruit is so attractive!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0594_1024.jpg (224.6 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0596_1024.jpg (311.8 KB, 200 views)
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #19
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Based on what I have read...I am planting Brandywine SS this year. My seedlings are looking strong. Last year I was literally "over the moon" about my Brandywine Cowlick's. It's productivity and taste surpassed all of my high expectations!
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #20
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

First year growing heirlooms. I picked up two potato leaved plants labeled "Brandywine - pink". One has four sets of blooms on it already. Hope it's not a low producer.

I am really liking the TTF. Set a few plants out last week and fertilized them, there is a three inch difference in them and the ones still in containers.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #21
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
First year growing heirlooms. I picked up two potato leaved plants labeled "Brandywine - pink". One has four sets of blooms on it already. Hope it's not a low producer.

I am really liking the TTF. Set a few plants out last week and fertilized them, there is a three inch difference in them and the ones still in containers.
As far as I know the generic "Brandywine", sold at nurseries is PL and grows PINK Fruits. That is the same as Sudduth Strain.
You might end up having Sudduth Strain !!

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #22
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
As far as I know the generic "Brandywine", sold at nurseries is PL and grows PINK Fruits. That is the same as Sudduth Strain.
You might end up having Sudduth Strain !!

Gardeneer
I guess there is no real way of knowing. Those two plants are growing like crazy. It's like how eggplants grow when they get in their growth phase. I have seen tomato plants grow quickly, but never put on this much "weight" like these have. We'll see what they do...
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had about the same luck with Sudduth's and Cowlick's last year and it was pretty good. Great tomato with wonderful flavor. It does have a tendency to crack on the bottom sometimes which shortens the shelf life and it is also prone to poor fruit set when the temperatures and the humidity get high; but despite that I usually get good production out of both. Due to illness the past two weeks I was later than I wanted setting my plants out but managed to get 38 plants set out yesterday. To show how much I like Sudduth's and Cowlick's I set out 4 of each so nearly a quarter of my first bed are Brandywines. I just hope to get some good fruit set before the real heat sets in. I too have found that using TTF increases fruit set especially on these two Brandywines which can be a bit fickle at times. Good luck to all this new season.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #24
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I'd got 2012 Cowlick's seed in the MMMM swap and it's on Gary's 'get seed' list. Humidity is no problem, I will give the Brandywine a try if they germinate.

I don't see Brandywine listed at the tasting events much, might be a distinct reason for that.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #25
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
I'd got 2012 Cowlick's seed in the MMMM swap and it's on Gary's 'get seed' list. Humidity is no problem, I will give the Brandywine a try if they germinate.

I don't see Brandywine listed at the tasting events much, might be a distinct reason for that.
Despite being beaten out by one variety or the other most years in my own personal taste test Brandywine Sudduth's is always in the top five for flavor and they are absolutely beautiful tomatoes that can be quite large at times.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #26
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I had about the same luck with Sudduth's and Cowlick's last year and it was pretty good. Great tomato with wonderful flavor.
Bill - Rick,
Will you guys post some photos of Brandywine Cowlick? I'd like to compare with Sudduth. I may have to plant some next season!
Thanks!
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #27
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Cowlick's in Smoot, Wyoming, those seedlings would sell themselves at market.
Old March 13, 2016   #28
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I've not grown any of the Brandywines, but here's a link to another thread on taste comparisons and yet another Brandywine, Glick's.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15395
Old March 13, 2016   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson_WY View Post
Bill - Rick,
Will you guys post some photos of Brandywine Cowlick? I'd like to compare with Sudduth. I may have to plant some next season!
Thanks!
I think it's good to remember that Camo (Mike) bought his plant at Cowlick's Nursery which is why he called it Cowlick's Brandywine.

No way to know if it really was the Quisenberry/Sudduth one from the get go.

Especially since opinions are divided between Sudduth and Cowlick and have been ever since Mike started sending seeds everywhere.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...e,_Cowlick%27s

What you have is Mike's opinion about it but as I said above,opinions have been split for well over a decade now.

Carolyn

Carolyn
Old March 13, 2016   #30
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
I've not grown any of the Brandywines, but here's a link to another thread on taste comparisons and yet another Brandywine, Glick's.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15395
Glick's is yet another example of a Brandywine where a name was attached to it and doesn't say it's the same or different than most other Brandywines.

It was named Glick's b/c it originated with the GLick's Seed Co of Lancaster,PA.

I have tried many times to distinguish between the two meanings of what a strain is,or is not.

And there are many other Brandywines that just have a person's name attached when they first SSE listed it,and no way to know what it really was,or is.

I treasure all my back issues of the SSE YEarbooks b/c histories can be found there that you can't find elsewhere.

One main problem with later issues is that folks who relist a variety don't carry forward the previous info as to who first listed it,that first description,etc.

Not a problem for me at all since I have all the SSE yearbooks going back to the first year that SSE started,which was 1975,except the 1982 issue which had Glenn Drowns of Sandhill Preservation on the cover. I joined SSE in 1989 but was given those back issues for a reason.

And one can do an online search at SSE,for members only,to get back info,which I don't do since I don't need to.

Carolyn

Carolyn