Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

View Poll Results: what do you do with finished compost
Leave it outside 31 59.62%
store it out of the elements 10 19.23%
if its finished its in the garden already 11 21.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 10, 2012   #16
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

I finally got to the store and picked up a bag of bloodmeal 12-0-0. That should work good on the compost in the garage. I'll put it in one of the tubs, not in the second one and see which one works the best in the spring.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #17
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
I finally got to the store and picked up a bag of bloodmeal 12-0-0. That should work good on the compost in the garage. I'll put it in one of the tubs, not in the second one and see which one works the best in the spring.
Which worked best?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #18
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Always cover your compost pile, always. Otherwise the nutrients leach out. Also, I started digging a hole and filling with hardwood charcoal before starting a new pile. This will absorb any leeching and can be dried, pulverized and scattered after the pile is used.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017   #19
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I selected "leave it outside" on the poll but I always till the entire pile into the garden in the fall and then start a new one.

I only till once a year and this is when I add compost and any organic matter that I have laying around like leaves or grass clippings. Tomato vines are never tilled under to avoid keeping disease spores in the garden. I also remove any dropped tomatoes because I do not want the volunteer plants the next season.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote