Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 15, 2017   #1
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

Default Spraying schedule and the elements.

Ive stepped up my game this year and finally added rewire cages and black garden covering over the ground. I have also gotten a new sprayer in hopes of keeping with a solid schedule. Ill be spraying thuricide for hornworms, daconil and neem oil for the various pest and diseases. Im wondering how spraying after rain is worked in to schedules. Do you just start a new cycle after it rains? How do people handle multi day on and off rain? For instance I sprayed last wednesday and I had planned on doing next week (every two weeks), but it rained the past two days straight and will rain again tomorrow. Is it best to just wait until the weather report shows a solid block of clear or non rainy days? Should I have sprayed today, no rain today but will tomorrow and the next few possibly, then after the showers let up?

Thanks for all the advice!
Emeoba69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #2
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I almost started a thread today addressing these questions as well. I am trying to be as proactive as possible this year. I will add another question if I may. Does neem, spinosad, daconil remain effective say if it rains 24 hrs. after application? I get conflicting info on Internet searchings.

I too will be watching this thread for input.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #3
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

There is also another similar thread just started so there seems to be more than just my passing interest in this topic. Hope to hear more!

My garden is 10-15 minutes away from me and spraying after every rain is just not pratical as frequent as we get rain. Ive settle on just spraying all three neem, thuricide, daconil, once a week immediately after rain (and hopefully before a stretch of nice weather). So more than reccommended, given nice weather, but not as frequent as reapplying after every rain.
Old June 21, 2017   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I use a 1/2 tsp or so of Dawn dish soap as a sticker in my sprays. It will help keep the spray on the plants through a couple of mild rains. With big downpours, theres not much you can do.
I always look at it like this. If you spray and it rains the next day, at least you have had a days worth of protection you didnt have before. Or bug zapping. Depending on what you spray.
Old June 22, 2017   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have been unable to apply my usual fungicide sprays for most of the past three weeks. I did get in one copper spray that got to stay on almost 24 hours before the downpours started back. I use the diluted bleach spray when frequent rains are a problem to lessen the disease problems. It can be used frequently and applied between rains even with just a few minutes to work it helps.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...t=bleach+spray

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #6
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

https://www.groworganic.com/nu-film-p-gallon.html https://www.groworganic.com/nu-film-17-gallon.html

Someone directed me to these, and from what I can gather online, they are very effective. I am ordering some myself.

Last edited by BigVanVader; June 22, 2017 at 08:26 AM.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #7
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
https://www.groworganic.com/nu-film-p-gallon.html https://www.groworganic.com/nu-film-17-gallon.html

Someone directed me to these, and from what I can gather online, they are very effective. I am ordering some myself.

Thank you guys, I'd never even thought/known about sticking agents to tackle this issue! Are their any highly recommend brands people here use (50 gallons is a bit much)?

Last edited by Emeoba69; June 23, 2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old June 23, 2017   #8
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I've been eyeing this up as a spreader/sticker. Anyone use FarmWorks 80/20 Surfactant, 1 Gal.
from Tractor Supply?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=-10005
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #9
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
I've been eyeing this up as a spreader/sticker. Anyone use FarmWorks 80/20 Surfactant, 1 Gal.
from Tractor Supply?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=-10005

Never heard of it until you linked it. I found this label info but I can't find any info according to vegetable use. It says you can use it on vegetables, I just don't see anything past that.
http://cru66.cahe.wsu.edu/~picol/pdf/WA/66038.pdf

Here's another 80/20 but I think it's a different manufacturer Plant Agra?
http://www.plantagraproducts.com/pdf...SURFACTANT.pdf

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; June 23, 2017 at 08:46 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #10
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I use Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap or a drop of Dawn as my spreader.
Old June 24, 2017   #11
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I have use Dr Bronners Peppermint Soap. Cheap, easy to find, smells great. Can use the leftovers for showers.
Also have used Dawn Dish Soap. Cheap, easy to find. Can use leftovers for dishes.

Last edited by Barbee; June 24, 2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Adding info
Barbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #12
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

Anyone know any good charts availible, my google fu is failing me, on what fungicides, insecticides, etc can be mixed in the same sprayer? Could I mix the daconil and thuricide? Save me some time.
Old June 24, 2017   #13
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I have always heard not to mix. It sure would make things easier, but I don't want to take chances and negate the effectiveness of one or both.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
I have always heard not to mix. It sure would make things easier, but I don't want to take chances and negate the effectiveness of one or both.
Corrrect. !!!!!

Never ever mix anything with Daconil,I just wrote a long post about this a couple of weeks ago.

The attachment sites for both EB and Septoria are on the upper leaf surface, what Daconil does is to block those sites. If you dilute anything else with Daconil it reduces the number of chlorothalonil molecules so they can't block all the sites.

I'd do a search for my post,it's longer,but I don't have the time.

Carolyn
Old June 24, 2017   #15
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Corrrect. !!!!!

Never ever mix anything with Daconil,I just wrote a long post about this a couple of weeks ago.

The attachment sites for both EB and Septoria are on the upper leaf surface, what Daconil does is to block those sites. If you dilute anything else with Daconil it reduces the number of chlorothalonil molecules so they can't block all the sites.

I'd do a search for my post,it's longer,but I don't have the time.

Carolyn
Thanks for the info!