Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 24, 2011   #136
BradS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlzbn View Post
I saw a 100 gallon rubbermaid storage container, I almost bought 2 to do just that!
WOW! I've seen 50 gallon, but never anything close to 100... where did you find them, are you sure they are rubbermaid?
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011   #137
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if it was rubbermaid but out was a "patio" storage box. It was pretty sturdy. At home depot. I had the thought to get it, but it was 30 dollars, and I would of had to buy 2.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011   #138
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

A 3' x 5' system would weigh at least 1000 lbs. You'd need an Engineering Degree to design it so it wouldn't collapse from it's own weight. The current system works fine for me. The plastic containers are sagging as it is now. A 100 gallon container? Forget it. I think even a 50 would be too big.
duckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011   #139
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I don't think it was quite that big. I think it was 2x3 or around that.
I don't remember the actual size. It may have been 75 gallon. It did cross my mind that it would be a good swc
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011   #140
VitaVeggieMan
Tomatovillian™

Gardener's Supply makes a 58 gallon self-watering raised bed for $169:

• 39-1/4" x 39-1/4" x 16" H
  • 8-gallon water reservoir
  • Holds 9 cubic feet (230 dry quarts) of Container Mix
  • 12" planting depth
I don't have one, but I've seriously considered it.

You can add 16 casters (for $40) to it to make it movable, but I imagine it's still pretty heavy.

Last edited by VitaVeggieMan; May 25, 2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Add info on casters
VitaVeggieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011   #141
BradS
Tomatovillian™

VitaVeggie - that's exactly what i was thinking! The casters seem a bit rediculous - put it where you want it and leave it there.

That same things with 2x6 construction and a 1/4" separator between the water and the soil. It's completely unnecessary for a raised bed, but I still find it appealing.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011   #142
espiegel123
Tomatovillian™

I am about to buy trellis netting the Earthtainer III-style pea-fence cages (I am doing tall ones ). Does anyone know about how many panels you you can cut from 5' * 30' 7-inch netting? I.e. how many cages will one of these trellis nets serve.

Thanks,

Edward
espiegel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011   #143
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Edward,

First, to calculate the number of finished 14 inch by 28 inch trellis panels you will need, while there are 8 horizontal cage rungs, I don't attach the trellis panels to all of them (not necessary). Therefore, starting from the bottom, put them on rungs #2, 3, 4; then after attaching the upper cage extension, place only one at rung #6. This will do a good enough job to train the stems up through the 8 vertical sub-channels you've just created with the netting.

In terms of the cutting size, permit me to use the phrase "good strings" to define the final cut product. Thus, to create a finished 14 inch by 28 inch rectangular panel, you need a panel of 3 good strings by 5 good strings. With the 5 foot wide trellis bulk piece, you will have 9 strings going in the long direction. This will cut perfectly into three of the 3 good string widths. So, you will make 5 cuts between string #3 and string #4. Next cut between string #6 and string #7. This will leave a third remaining 3 string section comprised of strings #7, 8, and 9.

Next, go down the long length and then cut across between strings #5 and #6 all the way over the 5 foot width. Repeat this process throughout the rest of the bulk trellis net to make three of the 14 inch by 28 inch panels per section. Make sense?

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011   #144
espiegel123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Edward,

First, to calculate the number of finished 14 inch by 28 inch trellis panels you will need, while there are 8 horizontal cage rungs, I don't attach the trellis panels to all of them (not necessary). Therefore, starting from the bottom, put them on rungs #2, 3, 4; then after attaching the upper cage extension, place only one at rung #6. This will do a good enough job to train the stems up through the 8 vertical sub-channels you've just created with the netting.

In terms of the cutting size, permit me to use the phrase "good strings" to define the final cut product. Thus, to create a finished 14 inch by 28 inch rectangular panel, you need a panel of 3 good strings by 5 good strings. With the 5 foot wide trellis bulk piece, you will have 9 strings going in the long direction. This will cut perfectly into three of the 3 good string widths. So, you will make 5 cuts between string #3 and string #4. Next cut between string #6 and string #7. This will leave a third remaining 3 string section comprised of strings #7, 8, and 9.

Next, go down the long length and then cut across between strings #5 and #6 all the way over the 5 foot width. Repeat this process throughout the rest of the bulk trellis net to make three of the 14 inch by 28 inch panels per section. Make sense?

Raybo
Thanks Ray. It looks like the 5' by 30' trellis that I have is 9 strings by 51 strings. So, if my math is right it looks like that net will provide 30 panels.

Does that sound right?
Old May 26, 2011   #145
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Edward,

Yep, I had only one string left over at the end, so 51 strings sounds spot on!!! Therefore, you will get 30 finished panels from the trellis fabric. This will be enough for 7 EarthTainers.

Raybo
Old June 16, 2011   #146
espiegel123
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone have a source for the pea fence other than Gurney's? I am a bit frustrated as they seem not to stock it and it took a month for me to get one order and the other order seems like it is also going to take that long before they ship it.

Thanks,

Edward
Old June 16, 2011   #147
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Edward,

Have I got a solution for you!! (Yep, I should start a business as a "Personal Shopper")

I have found an even better Pea / Cucumber fence product from Burpee. It is 40 inches tall rather than the Gurney's 32 inch tall section. Therefore, with the Gurney dual sections, the cage would total 60 inches in assembled height. The Burpee dual 40 inch panels will yield a cage of 76 inches in height.

Order 2 or more and the price drops to $28.00 per cage system:

http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supp...Id=2320&trail=

If you order before June 30 and enter this code: LSJ5, you will save about $13.00 in shipping.

I am changing the Guide right now to recommend the 40 inch Burpee cage panels as the better (available) solution. I placed an order for 6 on Friday, and on the following Tuesday had the UPS Tracking Code from Burpee.

I guess Gurney's was not prepared for the large number of Pea Fence orders due to those building EarthTainers!

Raybo
Old June 16, 2011   #148
espiegel123
Tomatovillian™

Awesome. Thanks for the info Ray!
Old June 17, 2011   #149
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Edward,

Just for reference, I placed an order for 4 more pea / cucumber fence units from Burpee yesterday June 16, and received a UPS shipping confirmation number just now (June 17) which was about 22 hours after placing my order. Not too bad......

Raybo
Old June 17, 2011   #150
espiegel123
Tomatovillian™

That's great. Gurney's has been giving me the runaround about pea fences ordered in May which they are now saying they won't have until July.