Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 13, 2012   #16
salix
Tomatovillian™

Used to make our own yogurt years ago in my 8 cup sized measuring cup. The very first time used a commercial (Yogurmate) product, but afterwards used the "chain" method as described by Robin. Worked well, just covered with plastic wrap, bundled it in a towel and kept it in the microwave oven overnight. Then dispensed into smaller containers for refrigeration.

Unfortunately, after I turned 50, developed several allergies - one being dairy, and not just lactose intolerance. It was easy to give up milk, but I really miss the yogurt and cheese. Mudman, you are the first person I have found that has experience with the water kefir. Would you mind if I PM'd you for more information?
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #17
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Craig

I use a soy starter from Danlac in Canada. Only one 1 could find. You could use soy yogurt from the store, but I have read that the amount of culture is hit or miss.

I use a yogourmet machine, and its important that you let it work for 24 hours.
Old February 13, 2012   #18
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Salix,

I am so sorry to hear about your allergies...

I bought my yogurt and kefir cultured from 'Cultures for Health', and I am very pleased with the quality of the products (every starter worked perfectly) - they have water kefir grains too: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/wat...ir-grains.html

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #19
lurley
Tomatovillian™

You may actually be able to eat some hard cheese. Most have almost no lacoste left in them if that is the issue with dairy.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #20
O.P. Mater
Tomatovillian™

Hey Mudman,
We make about a gallon of yogurt every week or so. Everyone here loves it including the dogs and chickens......:-) Usually add 1/2 cup of powdered milk, 1/2 cup of plain unsweeted commercial yogurt to the milk, or "daisy-chain" like Robin mentioned. The powdered milk seems to thicken the yogurt up more. Making it after supper seems to work better for us.

We turn the light on in the oven, pour the mix into 4 or five quart jars with very loose lids, put the jars in a pan with some water in the bottom, pop it in the oven and wait until morning. Then you can take your jars of "yogurt" out of the oven and put them in the refrigerator. Those little acidophilus bacteria work all night for you while you sleep!
O.P. Mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #21
salix
Tomatovillian™

Tania, thank you very much for the link - a lot of my questions were answered right at the site with the reviews and FAQs. Not sure about the water kefir as I don't use sugar or fruit juices, but will give it a try anyway for coconut water. Will try the milk grains as well for coconut milk.

Lurley, thanks for your input as well - I have tried, but alas, it is NOT 'merely' lactose intolerance. Goat's cheese is occasionally tolerated, in small quantities and long intervals, unfortunately am not really fond of it or sheep's cheese. Probably just as well, pretty high calorie source of protein!
Old February 13, 2012   #22
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

My wife is lactose intolerant too, but she is able to eat milk products with the aide of "lactaid" (or the Costco version), have you tried that? It seems to work VERY well for her.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #23
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Salix- hope you found some info on the kefir water. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. I don't care for the stuff but my wife likes it.
Old February 14, 2012   #24
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Actually I am eating a full fat Greek yogurt right now. 10%. Wow it's rich, and won't do any favors for the midsection. In the US I used to like Dannon.

Anyway, I've made yogurt a few times. The last time I got creative and added Nescafe espresso powder and also powdered milk and I thought it turned out artificial and gummy. I think it was 1/4 cup for 48oz of yogurt (in 6 individual cups).

A Greek yogurt I like here is 0.9% fat and has both lemon flavor and chunks of softened lemon in it. It's awesome. I'll have to keep experimenting with homemade.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2012   #25
Tania
Tomatovillian™

feldon,

lemon flavored yogurt is a very interesting idea - thank you for mentioning it. I would like to try it.

I wonder what kind of effect the lemon acid make on the yogurt bacteria, is it safe to use when culturing or is it only safe to add after the yogurt is ready...

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 14, 2012   #26
salix
Tomatovillian™

Desert - thanks for the input, lactaid will not help as it is not L. I.
Mudman - thanks for the offer, a lot of my questions were answered at the link Tania provided. If I still have questions after I try it, will take you up on your kind offer. P. S. Did I see you over at the Fresh Loaf?
Old February 14, 2012   #27
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Desert - thanks for the input, lactaid will not help as it is not L. I.
Mudman - thanks for the offer, a lot of my questions were answered at the link Tania provided. If I still have questions after I try it, will take you up on your kind offer. P. S. Did I see you over at the Fresh Loaf?
Yep. I posted once but never got any replies. Good info, but not as friendly as TV.
Old February 15, 2012   #28
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
feldon,

lemon flavored yogurt is a very interesting idea - thank you for mentioning it. I would like to try it.

I wonder what kind of effect the lemon acid make on the yogurt bacteria, is it safe to use when culturing or is it only safe to add after the yogurt is ready...
Hmm I didn't even think of that. Citric Acid is a compound in lemons juice and is essentially a preservative/antibacterial. I will have to look online for some recipes then. Maybe they are just using the zest which should be mostly lemon oil and not acid.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #29
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Tania, both my yoghurts have taken off real well, one on the counter and one in a wide thermos..I have two cups of each finished..thank you

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #30
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Excellent! Did you like the taste/texture?

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase