Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 21, 2010   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Pressure cooker recipes from RecipeZaar

I copied these from Recipezaar until I got tired of copying. There were more than 300 recipes. some have reviews, most got 5 star rating
I haven't tried them yet but will soon. some are for canning

Risotto in a Pressure Cooker By: RSHDiva May 17, 2005
This risotto is reason enough to buy a pressure cooker. Forget all those wive's tales about these things blowing up... they have a new, safer generation. This is a no-stir risotto that could compete with the best! I serve it as is, but you could add a cooked vegetable or bits of meat after the pressure has fallen and the rice is cooked. From "Cooking Under Pressure" by Lorna Sass
SERVES 4 -6 (change servings and units)
Ingredients
2 tablespoons sweet butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup finely minced onion
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
3 1/2-4 cups chicken stock
1 cup grated gruyere cheese (4 oz)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt, if desired
Directions
1Heat the butter and oil in the cooker. Saute the onion until soft but not brown, about 2 minute Stir in the rice, making sure to coat it thoroughly with the fat. Stir in 3-1/2 c of the stock (watch for sputtering oil).
2Lock the lid in place and over high heat bring to hig pressure. Adjust the heat to maintain high pressure and cook for 6 minute Reduce pressure with a quick-release method (see below). Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow any excess steam to escape.
3Taste the rice, and if it's not sufficiently cooked, add a bit more stock as you stir. Cook over medium heat until the additional liquid has been absorbed and the rice is desired consistency, another minute or two. When the rice is ready, stir in the Gruyere and Parmesan, add salt to taste and serve immediately.
4NOTES: Adding some sort of fat is critical when cooking rice and grains so that the liquid/starch doesn't foam and plug up the steam vents. I'd also keep a close eye on it toward the end as I imagine that if you use less water the rice might dry out in the last minute or so. Also, Cooking Under Pressure is a nice reference book with a number of modern/gourmet- type recipes such as this one.
5For better taste and texture, it's essential to use an Italian short-grain white rice such as Arborio, Carnaroli, or Maratelli. Traditionally the rice is not rinsed before cooking since the water would wash away starches that contribute to the velvety sauce enveloping each grain. The perfect risotto should be slightly soupy and properly chewy, with the rice offering just a pleasant resistance to the bite. For this reason, the pressure is always quick-released and the risotto must be served as soon as it is finished -- Leftover risotto can also be shaped into pancakes and warmed or pan-fried in a little butter, or heated in the microwave.
6Using the basic formula of 3-1/2 to 4 c of liquid to 1-1/2 c Arborio rice you can create your own recipes and also use traditional recipes.
7Although classic risottos usually contain wine, the above recipe(s) are flavorful without it.
KnoxFam On Jan 25, 2010 This recipe is just terrific. I had not had risotto before (at least, I had not had good risotto before), and got a pressure cooker for Christmas. Wow! (I have to admit, I even forgot the gruyere cheese, using only the parmesan, and it was wonderful. I had about a cup of baby portabella mushrooms left over and on their last day, so I chopped them up and tossed them in before cooking. Can't say enough about this very flavorful recipe.
We thought this was fantastic. I have always made risotto using the traditional method and this was easily as good! I didn't know what sweet butter was (probably known as something else in the UK) and, not having the gruyere, used only parmesan. It was great. Have made also throwing in some diced chicken and substituting a half cup of the stock for dry white wine - not for children obviously. Thanks x
Perfect! I played with this recipe to serve 2 and also to lower the fat. I sauteed the onion in 1 TBS. of olive oil, used 3/4 c. of arborio rice, and 1 14 oz. can of fat-free chicken stock. I stayed with the steps in the instructions. I used the 6 minute timing on my pressure cooker and then added a sprinkling of shaved romano cheese (omitting the gruyere altogether). This came out delicious, creamy, and with the rice still having full texture. Thanks for a fantastic and FAST risotto.
Cook's Illustrated also says a pressure cooker is worth the money, just for the risotto alone! I use mine a couple of times daily. I couldn't survive without it! I've made this risotto several times and it works out perfectly. Any kind of rice turns out incredibly moist in the p. cooker and this is no exception. I vary the type of cheese. I've used Parmesan and Mozzarella with sundried tomatoes. This dish reheats nicely, too (still moist). Lorna Sass is a top-notch author; so is Pat Dailey, author of "The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook." I use it mostly for reference, since I can adapt any recipe to the cooker. Thanks for posting. Roxygirl in Colo.
Pressure Cooker Mocha Cheesecake By: appleydapply Oct 9, 2006
I adapted this recipe for the pressure cooker. It's fast, easy, and very impressive for guests. The small size (7" springform pan) is just right if you don't want a lot of leftovers to tempt you.
Ingredients
3/4 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee or espresso
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons Kahlua
sweetened whipped cream
Directions
1Prepare dish: Use a well-greased 7" springform pan or 7" 6-cup souffle dish lined with greased heavy-duty foil.
2In a bowl, combine chocolate wafer crumbs, melted butter & sugar. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Place in freezer until ready to use.
3In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat cream cheese & sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in whipping cream & vanilla.
4In saucepan over low heat, combine coffee, chocolate chips, and Kahlua. Cook, stirring, until melted.
5Pour into cheese mixture and beat until thoroughly combined. Spoon over prepared crust.
6Prepare a strip of foil to lower the cake into the cooker: Cut off a strip of foil at least 18" long. Double it lengthwise to create a long strip.
7Pour 1 1/2 cups water into your 6qt or larger pressure cooker. Set a trivet on the bottom to raise the cheesecake above the water.
8Center the cheesecake on the foil strip and lower it onto the trivet. Fold down the ends of the foil strip slightly so that they won't interfere with closing the lid.
9Lock the lid in place. Over high heat bring to high pressure. Reduce the heat to maintain high pressure and cook for 15 minutes.
10Turn off the heat and allow the pressure to come down naturally. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow steam to escape.
11After the steam escapes, lift the pan from the cooker using the foil strip and set on a rack to cool. If there is any condensed water on the cake, blot with a clean paper towel.
12Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve each slice with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.
sherrilljoy On Jan 31, 2010
One of my best friends made this for me last night for my birthday. This is THE best cheesecake I've ever had. It was so moist and creamy. My 6-year-old said it was "ridiculously awesome". I got a pressure cooker for bday, will make this again asap!
Divine, very rich and looks impressive. For the crust I used Chocolate Ripple biscuits which are available in Australia and 150g melted butter. This made a slightly chewy, nougat style crust. This does not have a typical cheesecake flavour as it is overruled by the mocha. I will be making this many times. It was a hit at my morning tea at work and I had requests for the recipe.

Oh My God These Are The Best Potatoes In The Cosmos!
By: Charishma Ramchandani Oct 30, 2003
These really are 'THE BEST' potatoes I've had in all these 23 long long years of my life! You have to try these sometime. This is a very easy side-dish to put together. You can serve it with white bread as well. You can pack it for a snack for yourself/a family member by spooning in some of this vegetable on a slice of bread and topping it with another slice. If you have a kid who loves potatoes(I'm thinking of the kid in me in my school days), then, spread a layer of the vegetable on a bread slice and put a layer of Heinz Tomato Ketchup over it and top it off with another slice of bread. You'll love it! I like food with minimal masalas(spices). This is one of my most prized recipes. When you do try these, think of me. We make these at home on the days we are fasting, we make these alot when we are potato crazy I wish this recipe gets alot of good good reviews!!
SERVES 4 (change servings and units)
Ingredients
1 tablespoon oil
4 potatoes, washed,peeled and cubed
5-6 sprigs of fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
2 teaspoons salt
3 medium green chilies, washed,ends removed and finely chopped
1 cup water
Directions
1Wash potatoes under plenty of running tap water.
2Peel them and then cut them into cubes of about an inch in size.
3Put'em in a large bowl and keep aside.
4Now, heat oil in a skillet on medium-high flame.
5When hot, put in the cumin seeds and allow to crackle for 15 seconds.
6Then, add the green chillies and the curry leaves (tear the curry leaves with your fingers before you add them to bring out the best flavour out of them).
7Saute lightly on low-medium flame.
8Now, gently fold in the potatoes and mix well.
9Allow to cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
10Add the turmeric powder and salt.
11Mix well.
12Allow to cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes on medium flame, mixing occasionally (every 3-4 minutes).
13Stir in water, then cover with a lid, and allow the potatoes to cook on medium flame till all the water has been absorbed by the potatoes and they are tender and cooked.
14Remember to stir the potatoes while they are cooking, every 5 minutes, to avoid them sticking to the bottom of the skillet (since it will be covered).
15It will take 20-25 minutes for the potatoes to cook.
16Remove from flame.
17Serve immediately (hot) with puris (recipe number: 44025 [below) or with rotis or with rice and yogurt on the side.
18I JUST LOVE THIS, I HOPE YOU DO TOO!
Delicious Homemade Puri!
By: Fandoos Oct 25, 2002
Great, easy to make, soft puri that go well w/Aloo or Chanae or even Charisma's amazing Semolina Halwa (I think by the name Heavenly and Sinfully divine Semolina Halwa-if I'm correct). I've never made puri in my life, and I've sneaked this recipe from a professional cook, you cannot possibly go wrong with this one. Trust me!
SERVES 4 -6 , 20 approx. (change servings and units)

Ingredients
2 cups sifted whole wheat flour (Atta)
1 cup sifted flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons yogurt
1/2 cup milk
Directions
1In a large mixing bowl combine the whole wheat and regular flours.
2Make a well in the middle of the mixture, and add the liquid ingredients, and combine everything together using your hands to make a firm dough.
3Divide the dough into 20 small balls approximately.
4The balls should be small enough to make small sized tortillas.
5Roll out each ball on a floured surface.
6Deep fry, keeping the top side of the puri on top, until lightly golden.
7Ready to be served,enjoy!
KFC Extra Crispy (Copycat)
By: JustaQT Apr 8, 2003
After he perfected his original he made a crispy recipe that was marinated first then fried the conventional way. This one is double dunked into the coating to give it its great taste.
1 whole chicken (change servings and units)

Ingredients
1 whole frying chicken, cut up and marinated
6-8 cups shortening (for cooking)
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon msg
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
Directions
1Trim any excess skin and fat from the chicken pieces.
2Preheat the shortening in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees.
3Combine the beaten egg and milk in a medium bowl.
4In another medium bowl, combine the remaining coating ingredients (flour, salt, pepper and MSG).
5When the chicken has marinated, transfer each piece to paper towels so that excess liquid can drain off.
6Working with one piece at a time, first dip in egg and milk then coat the chicken with the dry flour mixture, then the egg and milk mixture again, and then back into the flour.
7Be sure that each piece is coated very generously.
8Stack the chicken on a plate or cookie sheet until each piece has been coated.
9Drop the chicken, one piece at a time into the hot shortening.
10Fry half of the chicken at a time (4 pieces) for 12-15 minutes, or until it is golden brown.
11You should be sure to stir the chicken around halfway through the cooking time so that each piece cooks evenly.
12Remove the chicken to a rack or towels to drain for about 5 minutes before eating.
13Note: I suggest (CopyCat) Kentucky Fried Chicken Marinade #75408.
(CopyCat) Kentucky Fried Chicken Marinade #75408
By: JustaQT
Nov 4, 2003
A delicious KFC (CopyCat) Marinade! This makes the chicken taste like KFC's!
15 pounds chicken marinade (change servings and units)
Ingredients
2 tablespoons potassium chloride
2 tablespoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons msg
1/8 tablespoon garlic powder
1/3 cup bottled chicken base
5 cups water
Directions
1Mix above marinate and soak the chicken in it for 24 hours under refrigeration.
2The Original Recipe is not packaged in three different places.
3The way it is cooked and the process makes it taste like it has eleven herbs and spices when in reality there is not.
4The way it is done in the restaurant is using dried eggs and milk in the flour along with box of breading, salt and the seasoning bag and a bag of breading flour.

Mom's Beef Stew (Pressure Cooker)
By: Curlee827 Oct 14, 2006
I grew up with this recipe and now I make it for my family...my picky hubby and kids gobble it right up...and it can be made so quickly in the pressure cooker. To make an easy Beef soup, omit the potatoes, add more water and a few boullions and serve with egg noodles or rice.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 lbs rump roast
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large onion, cut up
4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
4 celery ribs, peeled and cut into chunks
4 potatoes, cut into chunks
salt & pepper (to taste)
1-2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 1/2-2 cups water
1-2 beef bouillon cubes (optional)
Directions
1Cut the roast into chunks, about 1 inch (or larger if that is your preference). Heat oil in bottom of pressure cooker until hot and add the meat all at once (do not turn for at least 1 minute - you really want to let the meat sear - this gives the stew such yummy flavor.
2Stir the meat, letting it brown on all sides. Add the chopped garlic, stir for 1 minute, then add the onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, salt, pepper, parsley, water and optional beef bouillon(the bouillon gives a stronger flavor - you can also wait to see how it comes out, and if you feel that it's not flavorful enough, you can add the beef bouillon and boil the stew for a minute or so).
3Lock the pressure cooker lid in place and bring to high pressure over high heat.
4Cook 15 minutes.
5Cool pot immediately and serve. ENJOY!
6Optional ingredients - you can add some chopped tomatoes if you'd like before cooking, or after bringing it to pressure, you can throw in some canned mushrooms or frozen peas and heat thoroughly.
7 Reviews of Mom's Beef Stew (Pressure Cooker)
by Curlee827
OK, this was one of the best beef stew recipes that I have made. It was cold here today and I just wanted some comfort food. I did screw this up though...I forgot to lock my pressure cooker for the first 10 minutes, so it was more like beef and potatoes with carrots and celery, but man! It was SO good! My husband gobbled it right up! Thanks for the recipe!!!
FAST!! I doubled the meat and used close to 2 cups of water. It was fabulous and my picky kids gobbled and asked for seconds!!
very good.
Made this tonight. It is delicious. It will be on the top of my list for beef stew. Quick and good.
oh wow... i borrowed a pressure cooker, and, as always, came straight here for recipes... this is the first one i have done, and i literally just finished and tsated... superb!! next time i want to add some red wine, and tomato paste too...
Added 2 t. thyme and a couple shakes of paprika along with a dash of red wine. Perfect and I only cooked it 10 minutes but then I like small dice of all the ingredients so that you can get more than one chunk on a spoon. Highly recommend!
I love my pressure cooker, always have. This recipe was perfect. the only change I made was salting and peppering the beef chunks before I braised them. Otherwise it was a perfect fit. They licked the pot clean and asked for more!!

Ham Hocks and Beans
By: Karen From Colorado Jan 15, 2003
Comfort food at its best. Many people will tell you to soak your beans first (however, I have been told that you should soak dry beans when using a pressure cooker. Please follow manufactorers instructions in this case). I never do. I just wash them and cook them as below. For a really hearty winter meal, serve these with a loaf of hot fresh bread or a pan of corn bread and a pan of old fashioned crisp fried potatoes. These may also be made in the pressure cooker and crockpot.
SERVES 8 (change servings and units)
Ingredients
1 bag dry beans (my favorite is a 15 bean mix)
4-6 ham hocks
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced (more if desired)
1 large bay leaf
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon pepper
salt
Directions
1Wash beans and remove all gravel and such.
2Place beans, ham hocks, onions and garlic in a large dutch oven filled with water.
3Add spices.
4Bring to boil.
5Simmer on med-low heat for 4 to 5 hours, adding more water as needed.
6Remove hamhocks when they are tender and falling apart; allow to cool so they can be handled.
7Remove meat from ham hocks (discarding fat and bones) and return to the soup.

Pressure Cooker Wild Rice and Barley Casserole
By: Tish Jan 3, 2003
This is a hearty casserole for the fall and winter months. Great to make ahead and reheat as needed.
SERVES 3 -4 (change servings and units)
Ingredients
2 large shallots
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup wild rice
1/4 cup barley (not quick cooking)
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 1/2 cups beef stock or beef broth
6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
salt
1 1/4 cups water
Directions
1Mince the shallots.
2Melt 2 Tbs butter in the pressure cooker.
3Add the shallots and cook over high heat until soft, about 2 minutes.
4Add the rice and barley and stir well.
5Pour in the sherry.
6When the mixture has stopped sputtering, add the beef stock or broth and water.
7Close pressure cooker and bring up to full pressure.
8Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 23 minutes.
9Release pressure.
10Most of the rice should be split open and tender but not mushy.
11Return the cover and cook longer if necessary.
12If there is liquid remaining after the rice is cooked, pour it off.
13The mushrooms can be cooked in the pressure cooker by removing the rice and after it is cooked, or they can be cooked in a skillet while the rice is cooking.
14Melt the remaining 2 Tbs butter in the pressure cooker or a skillet.
15Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat until they are soft and most of the liquid has been cooked away.
16Fold the mushrooms into the rice mixture and add salt to taste.
17This dish can be made several days in advance and refrigerated.
18Reheat on the stove or in the microwave oven before serving

Pressure Cooker Italian Chicken and Sausage with Peppers

By: Tish Jan 3, 2003
I love the restaurant Chicken with Sausage and peppers with pasta. This is a fast version of my recipe that basically takes all day!
SERVES 4 -6 (change servings and units)
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 Italian sausages (about 12 oz total)
1 frying chicken, skin removed cut into serving pieces
1 medium onion (about 4 oz)
2 medium green bell peppers (about 10 oz)
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
crushed red pepper flakes
salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions
1Heat the oil in the pressure cooker.
2♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ the skin of the sausages in several places with the tines of a fork.
3Add the sausages and chicken to the oil and cook until well browned on all sides.
4While the chicken is cooking, dice the onion.
5Cut the green peppers into 3/4" thick strips.
6Mince the garlic.
7When the chicken and sausages are browned, remove them from the pan and set aside.
8Add the onion, green peppers and garlic to the cooker to cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
9Add the vinegar and stir up the browned bits from the bottom of the cooker.
10Add the chicken and sausages, tomatoes, basil, fennel, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
11Close pressure cooker and bring up to full pressure.
12Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 10 minutes.
13Release pressure and adjust the seasoning.
Pressure Cooker Split Pea and Ham Soup
By: KEA Mar 3, 2003
This is my Mom's famous split pea soup recipe that I adapted to the pressure cooker. It really cuts the cooking time-from several hours to about 30 min. Great for cold winter suppers.
SERVES 6 -8 (change servings and units)
Ingredients
1 lb dried split peas
8 cups water
1 small ham bone or 1 lb ham, chunks
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
sherry wine (optional)
Directions
1Fill pressure cooker with water and other ingredients, except Sherry.
2Make sure the pot is no more than half full.
3Put lid on cooker, place rocker (if model has one) on vent pipe and bring to high pressure.
4When at correct pressure start timing for 20 min.
5Let cooker release steam naturally.
6If using a pork bone, remove and pull all meat off and add to soup.
7Adjust salt to suit your taste at this point.
8Serve with a splash of Sherry if you wish.
9Note: You can start this recipe with frozen pork hock by first covering bone with 8 cups water and pressure cook as directed above for about 30 min.
10then cold water release pressure and add all other ingredients.
11Replace lid, bring to pressure and time for 10 more min.
12and let pressure naturally drop.
Simple & Succulent Canned Whole Chicken
By: Gran D Nov 19, 2008
This is basically the recipe I use for all my canned meat. I grew up with no electricity so all our meat had to be canned or fresh. When any one shot a moose or elk it would be shared around the comminity (about 7 families) and the rest would be canned. Mom would go back to her family on the prairies and can all the old laying hens and bring them home. When my kids were growing up I canned chicken just for a treat. PLEASE BE SAFE AND USE A PRESSURE CANNER FOR ALL MEAT!
SERVES 4 -6 , 1 quart (change servings and units)
Ingredients
1 whole stewing chicken
1 teaspoon salt
Directions
1Remove any giblets which may be in chicken and scrub well.
2Wash one, one or two-quart canning jar (depending on the size of the chicken).
3Add 1 tsp salt to jar.
4Pack raw, skin-on chicken into the jar. If it won't fit you may have to cut it up a bit. Leave 1/2 to 1 inch head space.
5Put jar lids in hottest tap water.
6Clean the lip of the jar carefully to ensure a good seal and place lids and screw-tops on jar; finger tighten.
7Place in pressure canner filled with enough water (not hot) to come 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the jars.
8Process for 90 minutes after pressure has reached 15 lbs.
9Please note that it is not necessary to add any water to the jars- the chicken will make a delicious broth which will be gelled unless it is heated. Do not de-bone chicken as the bones are neccessary to make a good broth.
10* I often do chicken pieces in pint jars as I live alone. In which case I only add 1/2 tsp salt and reduce the processing to 75 minutes at 15 lbs pressure.
Canned Chicken With Broth
By: Montana Heart Song Aug 4, 2006
We used to raise chickens.I would freeze and can at least 75 to 100 per year for our personal use.Every one of our children know how to prepare food and live off the land. Some do not like it but some do. Living in the country has many advantages. One of them is knowing what you feed to animals and birds that you eat. Another is the pride you feel after seeing the fruits of your labor on the shelves in the canning room.
SERVES 32 , 8 quarts (change servings and units)

Ingredients
4 whole roasting chickens or 35 assorted chicken pieces
8 whole bay leaves
8 teaspoons lemon juice
8 teaspoons salt (optional)
8 teaspoons dried parsley or dried cilantro
Directions
1Remove fat and skin from chicken pieces.
2Have sterilized hot quart canning jars ready.
3Have damp hot cloth ready to wipe rim of jars.
4Seals should be hot in water.
5Lay out the chicken pieces in groups for each jar. Pack each jar half full.
6Add to each jar, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp parsley or cilantro. Fill the jar with hot water. Leave at least 1 1/2 inch head room.
7Wipe jar rim with damp clean cloth. Place seal and ring and tighten.
8Have the pressure cooker ready, fill the jars in the rack, lower the rack. Please the lid on the pressure cooker. Pressure cook 15 lbs pressure for 90 minutes.
9DO NOT LEAVE THE KITCHEN. You must adjust the heat to stablize the pressure and maintain the 15 lb pressure.
10This is not hard to do. When 90 minutes have passed. Turn off the heat, take off the burner or leave on, let it cool naturally. Do not remove the pettcock, the pressure gauge. Let the steam go out naturally. Take the jars out, place on a towel, out of drafts. Let seal.
11Note: I have canned thighs, breasts by themselves when there is a sale.
12Do not hot water bath.
Canned Dried Beans (Kidney, Pinto, Navy, Etc.)
By: UnknownChef86 May 30, 2006
While it's not difficult to use dried beans from their natural state, I find that I don't tend to remember that I need to soak/pre-cook the beans until it's too late to use them for dinner. The convenience of being able to reach in the pantry and open up a jar of beans that I've home-canned (without added preservatives) is worth the extra time and work. If desired, you can also make these beans salt-free; you can also add onions or jalapenos to the jar if desired, amounts will vary according to taste. Yield is only for one jar; your actual yield will depend on how many jars you can. Time is approximate and does not include soaking time for beans. This recipe comes from the Ball Blue Book.
1 quart (change servings and units)

Ingredients
2 1/4 lbs dried beans
salt (optional)
water
onion (optional) or jalapenos, to taste (optional)
Directions
1Cover beans with cold water; let stand 12-18 hours in a cool place. Drain.
2Cover beans with cold water by 2 inches in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil; boil 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
3Pack hot beans into hot jars, leaving 1 inch of headspace.
4If desired, you can add diced onions or jalapeños to the jar. If adding jalapeños, wear rubber gloves while handling to avoid contact; do not touch eyes while handling.
5Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to each pint jar, 1 teaspoon salt to each quart jar, if desired.
6Ladle hot cooking liquid or boiling water over beans, leaving 1 inch headspace.
7Remove air bubbles and adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 75 minutes, quarts 90 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure (once the pressure-cooker gauge has gotten to ten pounds).
Chicken or Meat Broth or Stock - Pressure Canned

By: UnknownChef86 May 26, 2006
This recipe works not just for chicken, but for any meat or fowl. I make this whenever I can a bunch of chicken, but I've also made pork broth. You can use the defatted drippings after roasting/baking meat or fowl. If the drippings are already salty, omit the salt. The salt is in this recipe for flavor, not for preservation. When I can broth, I add 1 tsp. salt per quart, but it's not necessary. If you are on a low-sodium diet, just omit it. Make sure and defat the broth (either by chilling and skimming, or use a gravy separator) or the fat in it could cause your jars to not seal properly. Note: A pressure cooker is required for this recipe. They're not hard to use (READ THE MANUAL!!!)...just don't walk away from it and leave it. You hear horror stories about people that have imbedded their pressure-cooker lid in the ceiling. I can tell you without even talking to them that it's because they've walked away from the pressure cooker and let the pressure build up to the point that it literally explodes. I started canning with my mother when I was a kid (30 plus years ago) and have never had or seen that happen. Just understand that you're going to have to babysit the pressure cooker and adjust the hot-plate (heat) accordingly to keep the pressure cooker gauge where it should be. It can be monotonous, but it's worth it. The yield is noted for 1 quart, but it will depend on how much you're making and how many quarts/pints your canner holds.
1 quart (change servings and units)

Ingredients
1 quart defatted broth or stock (made from meat or fowl)
1 teaspoon salt, per quart (or 1/2 teaspoon salt, per pint)
Directions
1Add the salt to clean, sterilized jars.
2Fill the jars, with broth that has been heated to the boiling point and kept hot, to the top of the "shoulder" of the jar.
3Carefully wipe rim with a damp cloth, using pressure to push down as you wipe.
4Put a clean, new seal (that has been heated in hot water) on the jar, and seal with a ring; don't tighten it too much.
5Pressure cook at 11 pounds pressure for 90 minutes for quarts, 75 minutes for pints.
6Do not start the timer until the pressure cooker has reached 11 pounds pressure.
Garden Tomato Soup-Canning
By: Sharon123 Sep 19, 2005
Posted in response to a request for soups to can. Adapted from The USDA Canning site. The source was told to come from The Best of Friends Cookbook.
6 -7 quarts (change servings and units)
Ingredients
36-40 ripe tomatoes (skins removed and quartered)
4-5 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
5 medium onions, chopped (If you have a food processor, use it to chop the celery, pepper, onions)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
8-10 whole peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
BUTTER SAUCE
1/3 lb butter
1/4 cup salt, to taste
BROWN SUGAR PASTE
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
Directions
1Put all of the ingredients in a large kettle. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and cook until the celery is soft, about 15 minutes; then add the butter sauce and brown sugar paste.
2Mix the sugar and flour together in a bowl. Add enough of the hot soup to make a paste, then stir this into the hot soup and bring to a boil until soup thickens, about 10-15 minutes.
3If the soup is thicker than you prefer, add a little water. Adding the red pepper flakes makes the soup zingier. If too sweet, add a little more salt.
4Pour soup into quart jars and can in a pressure canner for 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
5Yield: 6-7 quarts, depending on size of tomatoes.
Delicious Tomato Salsa (Recipe for Canning)
By: WJKing Aug 8, 2005
This amazing recipe is a family favorite, shared by my sister-in-law Rosanna. Great for those summer-fresh veggies! Wear gloves to avoid 'burns' from chopping peppers! ENJOY! Fabulous to add in some fresh cilantro and oregano also!
10 pints (change servings and units)

Ingredients
14 cups chopped roma tomatoes (you can substitute 'standard' tomatoes, but they will be juicier)
3 cups onions, chopped
1/2 cup jalapeno pepper, chopped or minced
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup tomato sauce
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
5 tablespoons Clear Jel, that will not break down in high heat during processing. don't substitute (Clear Jel is a modified food starch (powdered form)
5 garlic, buds minced (optional)
Directions
1After all veggies are chopped, place them into a saucepan.
2Add remaining ingredients, mixing clear jell with water before adding slowly to veggies. Bring to a boil. Cold pack for 10 minutes.
3Yields approximately 10 pints.
9 Reviews of Delicious Tomato Salsa (Recipe for Canning)
by WJKing order by date posted highest rated most helpful

From: Charlotte J On Sep 28, 2006 Voted the 'BEST SALSA RECIPE of 2006'. Really. Out of the two or three new recipes I tried this year and my back up recipes that I've made in the pass, this one is far the best. I peeled and seeded my tomatoes because my children are spoiled and ended up using 16 cups of tomatoes. Red wine vinegar was my choice of vinegar to use. I got 8 pints of salsa when it was all over. This was also the first time I used Clear Jel. I ordered some and it came in the mail 2 weeks ago. So I was happy I could use it in this recipe before my garden tomatoes were all gone. One thing I did learn about the Clear Jel is that you want to add it at the very end for your cooking time. As it makes it so very nice and thick and you could scorch your batch of salsa if not VERY CAREFUL! WJKing thank you so VERY much for sharing this recipe, I do believe will never use another recipe again but yours!
This is a SUPER EASY salsa to make. It has WONDERFUL FLAVOR!!!
After trying this out, WoW, worth the time and effort to do this. We did not use the clear jel, but just boiled the Salsa for a couple of hours to thicken it up. Great taste, can't wait to make more!
I love this salsa...and so does everyone else who has tried it. I have been canning salsa for quite a few years but never found a recipe that was "IT". Well....this one is "IT"! I have disregarded all of the other recipes I have and canned this recipe exclusively this year. (about 90 pints!) I use just the regular tomatoes since I don't grow the roma's and I don't use the clear gel. For a little more kick (since my hubby likes his salsa a little hotter) I will make a batch with a few more jalapeno's or serrano's added in. (or maybe a habanero or two) Since I don't like the veggies to be mushy, I don't cook this too long....Maybe simmer 5 or 10 minutes only before putting it in the jars. If you like your salsa with less liquid, you can take out some of the juice before canning (don't waste the juice...can it up too!). The best way to do this, I have found, is to push a strainer a ways down into the pot of salsa. That way, only the juice comes through the strainer and the veggies stay under it. Then you can just use a cup to scoop out the extra juice. Thank you so much for this recipe....I can finally stop looking for the best one.
My boys are salsa critics and this one passed the test with flying colors. I did tweak it a little. I substituted 6 oz of tomato paste for the Clear Jel (I used regular tomatoes so I had more juice), added a Tablespoon of sugar, misread Tbsp for tsp and put in 1 Tablespoon of cumin, and I added LOTS of cilantro. It turned out very flavorful. (I only put 2 T of salt too). (I had a few haberno chile's canned from the previous year and chopped up 3 which added lots of heat!!! Yummy.
Wear plastic or rubber gloves and do not touch your face while handling or cutting hot peppers. If you do not wear gloves, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face or eyes. Processing directions from the NCHFP: Peel and prepare jalapenos. Wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split. Dip in cold water, slip off skins, and remove cores. Coarsely chop tomatoes and combine chopped peppers, onions, and remaining ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat to boil, and simmer 10 minutes. Fill hot, sterilized jars; wipe rims and place lids. Screw on bands finger tight. Process pint jars in boiling water bath for 15 minutes at 1000 feet elevation; 20 minutes at 1001 - 6000 feet elevation; 25 minutes at higher elevations.
This salsa is a huge hit with family and friends! I made one batch, and ran out so quickly I had to make more. What a great way to put up the amazing abundance of this year's garden!
First, many thanks to the submitter of this recipe. Made it yesterday with farm-fresh Better Boy tomatoes and assorted hot peppers, and it lives up to its name. A few minor alterations (no Clear Jel used, also used a combo of lemon and key lime juice instead of vinegar, some fresh cilantro added), and it rocks! It made only 8 pints rather than 10, so maybe I made it thicker or seived it longer? I look forward to making this again and again.
Pressure Canned Stew Meat

By: Cat^..^atude Apr 4, 2006
Quart jars of meat, pressure canned and ready for a meal in minutes. I always have some available in my cupboard for quick meals. The addition of the soup, helps create its own flavored gravy.
SERVES 21 , 7 quarts (change servings and units)

Ingredients
4 lbs stew meat
1 (10 ounce) can mushroom soup (celery would also work)
3 1/2 teaspoons salt (optional)
Directions
1Fill quart jars with stewing meat.
2add 1/2 tsp salt per jar.
31 tbsp of soup per jar.
4Cap and ring each jar.
5Put in canner following pressure canner directions.
6Process 10 pounds pressure for 90 minutes.
7I am at 3000 ft altitude.
Canned Venison

By: barefootmommawv Jan 8, 2009
This recipes assumes you know and use the proper canning methods. This is the way my MIL, Mother and I have done it for years and years. I see in the latest Ball Blue Book that they list the proper way is to hot pack it. I truly don't see the difference between wild game and raw pack pork. I use the basic directions for stew meat.
5 -7 quarts (change servings and units)

Ingredients
10 lbs raw cubed venison
5-7 beef bouillon cubes
2 large onions, cut into thick strips (8ths)
canning salt
Directions
1Raw pack:.
2Add 1 tsp canning salt per quart jar.
3Add 1/2 beef bouillon cube to each jar.
4Pack with meat and desired amount of onion. (I add 7 to 10 pieces of onion to my jars). Pack meat tightly. I use a wooden spoon to jam the meat in tightly.
5Remove air bubbles leaving 1 inch head space. Affix two part lids.
6Process in pressure canner at 10 lbs pressure for 90 minutes for quarts.
Home Canned Cuban Black Beans
By: gahboo Sep 8, 2009
This is a home canned version of a Cuban Black bean soup. If you want it creamy, you can puree a portion of the beans after canning (when you heat for seving). I adapted this from a traditional Cuban recipe for use in home canning. It is pretty good, I think.
8 pints (change servings and units)

Ingredients
2 lbs dried black beans
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup bell pepper, chopped
6 teaspoons garlic, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 lb salt pork
Directions
1Sort dry beans.
2Soak overnight in water.
3Drain beans, add new water covering by 2", and bring to a boil. When boiling begins, remove from heat and set aside.
4Saute onion, pepper,and garlic in olive oil until onion is glassy.
5Add remaining spices, salt and vinegar to the saute pot.
6Sterilize 8 pint Mason Jars.
7Add 1/4 cup of saute mixture to each jar.
8Chop Salt pork into small pieces, and divide into eight "piles".
9Put one "pile" of salt pork into each jar.
10Add 1 slightly heaping cup of black beans to each jar. This should leave about 1 1/2" headspace in jar. Do not overfill with beans. They expand a lot during processing. Overfilling will cause jars to leak in canner.
11Top off each jar with bean juice, leaving 3/4" headspace.
12Put of lids and process 1 hour 5 minutes at 10 psi.
13After processing, remove from heat and allow canner to return to ambient pressure of its own accord.
14Remove and cool jars.
15Needs to age a month or so to blend flavors. When serving, it is normal to add a bit of water, since water boils out during processing. Serve ladled over rice and add a dollop of sour cream.
Pressure Cooker Hungarian Chicken

By: Mrs Goodall May 29, 2006
I adapted this recipe from "The Pressure Cooker Gourmet", by Victoria Wise. You can substitute any kind of chicken pieces, bone-in or boneless. You would just need to adjust cooking time based on your choice. I actually leave the skin on, I'm weird and kind of like the skin, even when its "soggy"!
SERVES 4 (change servings and units)
Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 1/2-4 lbs chicken leg quarters, bone-in and skinned
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons hot paprika, preferably Hungarian
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 medium tomato, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
6 ounces extra- wide egg noodles, cooked, drained and buttered
Directions
1Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat until beginning to smoke. Add the chicken pieces and cook until golden all around, 4 - 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2Add the onion, paprika, and broth and stir to mix. Return the chicken to the pot and add the tomato on top, but don't stir it inches Add the salt.
3Lock on the lid and bring to pressure over high heat, 4 - 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes to finish cooking.
4With steam vent pointed away from you face, gently release any remaining pressure and transfer the chicken to a plate. Set aside in a warm place while the liquid cooks in the pot for 15 minutes.
5Whisk the sour cream in a small bowl until smooth. Add 1/4 cup of the liquid from the pot and whisk until smooth. Pour the sour cream mixture into the pot and whisk to mix. Return the chicken pieces and any juices to the pot. Reheat briefly without boiling.
6Spread the warm egg noodles on a serving platter. Arrange the chicken over the noodles and pour the sauce over all.
PanNan On Sep 29, 2006 Great comfort food that's pretty quick and easy, too! We really enjoyed it. I used 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, and cut back the pressure time to 5 minutes. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly. The hot paprika gave it just the right amount of heat. When I make it again, I might saute some mushrooms while the chicken is cooking, and add them when the sauce is cooking down - just to give it more veggies. Thanks for posting - I know I'll make this winner again.
Outstanding recipe! I added chopped carrots, celery and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil until tender. This was my first recipe using paprika. It was a very big hit with the family, especially with my hard to please 8 year old son.
The best chicken recipe ever! I modified it a little bit, by not using the sour cream and I also used rice instead of noodles. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! You have to try it.
Loved this recipe and my husband declared it "excellent"! It was a taking off point for me because I like to use more veggies. I also substituted non-fat Greek yogurt for sour cream and served it over brown rice. Not sure why 3 1/2 to 4 lbs of chicken is supposed to feed only 4 people. I didn't brown the chicken to avoid drying it out. I diced a carrot and a parsnip and sauted them with the onion before adding the chicken. I used a can of tomatoes instead of fresh and layered thick shreds of green cabbage on top of the chicken before putting the top on the cooker. The cabbage was perfectly cooked, melting into the sauce but not overcooked — no"cabbagey" smell. The chicken was fork tender but not dry. Delicious!
Absolutely amazing! This was my very first attempt at pressure cooking and it turned out great. I did alter the recipe a bit..due to family preferance. I only used 1/2 tsp of paprika. I also didn't have a fresh tomatoe so I used a 1/2 a can of Rotel Tomatoes. I added mushrooms and chopped celery. This is definately a keeper! My husband even said it may have been the best meal I've ever cooked for him!!
We really enjoyed this recipe. I am always looking for opportunities to use my pressure cooker, thanks for a nice recipe!
There is simply not enough stars for this recipe. Easy and totally delicious. Everyone raved about this dish, and I really enjoyed cooking it. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. HUGZ
This is a great recipe!! I used skinless thighs and legs as we don't like soggy skin. It was very flavorful. A very nice winter meal.
Awesome recipe! I just prepared it for lunch and am inviting guests Sun night to do it again, with a little variation. Thanks you Mrs. Goodall
This is one great and easy recipe! I seasoned the chicken pieces with garlic, black and red pepper before browning. I also used 1 can of diced tomatoes instead of the fresh chopped (saved a trip to the store) and it still turned out great.
yummy! just got my pressure cooker, & this sounded great. i messed up, as i was nervous about using the PC the 1st time, and didnt cook down the liquid before adding the sour cream and chicken back, so i just made a roux & added the liquid to it to temper the sour cream, and then let is simmer a bout 5 minutes. will def make it again! oh! and i also used german parika paste- as i dont know where to get hungarian paprika. thanks!
I was skeptical, because of such few ingredients. But this dish was very flavorful! The only thing I added was some cracked black pepper. It was great!
Made this quick recipe and family loved it. The liquid was delicious and we ate the entire thing. Thank you!
Awesome - my DH and I really loved this dish! Such a simple recipe turned out so beautifully! I didn't peel my tomato because I am lazy, but I don't think it made a discernable difference. I used fat free sour cream with a small amount of easy blending flour mixed in to augment the thickening of the sauce. This was really delicious and I will definitely make it again!
This was terrific!! I used 1/2 bullion cube and 1/2 cup of water instead of the broth (it's all I had on hand) and lowered the salt a little because of this. I only used only 2 drumsticks and 2 thighs since it's just me and my husband and me, I left the sauce the same which was great for extra for the noodles. I also used plain yogurt instead of sour cream since I live where there is no sour cream....i worked just fine. I will definitely make this again...very different, tastey, and easy. I think this could even be made in a regular pan with a tight lid, a little extra liquid and increased cooking time. Thanks for sharing!!!
Take it from a Hungarian grandson, this is what it's supposed to taste like and this is what you want your kitchen to smell like. Spaetzle type noodles would be more traditional, but who's got the time? Don't miss out on trying this recipe because you think it's too spicy. If in doubt, make the paprika a 50/50, hot/regular mix. Szeged in the tin cans is a good brand. I made it with two large chicken breasts. Great leftovers that are better the second day. For traditional dumplings: http://homepage.interaccess.com/~june4/spaetzle.html
Rich and Creamy Tender Pork Chops (Pressure Cooked)
By: Wildflour Apr 24, 2006
SPOON tender pork chops in a rich and creamy mushroom gravy. Quickly done in the pressure cooker! Great for summer when you don't want to heat up the house!
SERVES 3 -6 (change servings and units)

Ingredients
6 pork chops, any kind
pepper
2-3 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder, or granules
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Directions
1In pressure cooker, heat oil over medium heat til hot.
2Lightly brown peppered pork chops on both sides, a few at a time, removing as you go onto a plate.
3When all are browned, add water and chicken bouillon to pot.
4Scrape bottom to de-glaze and remove bits from bottom of pan.
5Add chops back to pot.
6Place lid on pressure cooker and heat over medium heat til the regulator starts rocking.
7Cook for 8 minutes. Turn off heat.
8Let pressure drop on it's own accord.
9When no more steam, carefully open cooker.
10Remove chops to platter, cover to keep hot.
11Whisk in soup and heat over medium-low heat.
12Then whisk in sour cream and heat til just heated through over low heat. Do not boil! Might curdle!
13Stir in parsley.
14Pour sauce over chops.
15*For extra-thick gravy, pour out all but 1 cup bouillon before adding soup and sour cream.
16**Can garnish with more parsley.
Pressure Cooker Peas or Butter Beans
By: Shelley Lee Jul 26, 2009
This is my recipe for cooking frozen peas or butter beans (Lima beans) in the pressure cooker. We put up purplehulls, crowders and butter beans from our spring garden (yes, we are Southerners), but this recipe works with any frozen legumes, either home frozen or store bought.
Ingredients
16 ounces frozen peas (Lima beans, or any legume)
2 slices hickory smoked bacon
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt (mol to taste)
Directions
1Add all ingredients to 4 or 6 quart pressure cooker.
2Cover and bring to pressure, reducing heat when control starts to jiggle.
3Cook for 6 minutes, turn off heat and allow cooker to depressurize naturally.
Pressure Cooker Pot Roast With Mushroom Gravy - Easy
By: Shelley Lee
Jul 3, 2009
This is a super easy recipe and SO good! Makes it's own gravy. I adapted this from my favorite crock pot recipe for pot roast. Just cook and serve with steamed rice. I'm new to pressure cooking and I just LOVE it!

Ingredients
3 lbs chuck roast, 2-3 inches thick
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (1 7/8 ounce) envelope onion soup mix (or onion mushroom soup mix)

2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
1 cup water (or beef or chicken stock)
Directions
1Brown meat on all sides in oil in cooker.
2Mix all other ingredients and add to cooker, coating meat.
3Cover and cook 50-60 minutes after control jiggles.
4Cool cooker normally for 5 minutes, then place under faucet to depressurize.
5The gravy came out perfect for us -- thin with beef stock or thicken to your own taste.
On Oct 31, 2009
I had a 3 lb. roast that I cut into 2" inch chunks and I covered the chunks with flour and salt and pepper. Then I browned in the pressure cooker. I literally dumped all of the other ingredients on top of the meat chunks. I pressure cooked at 15 lbs pressure for 20 minutes. Let it cool down for about 10 minutes and carefully let the pressure off in increments. This is a "jewel" of a recipe. I will prepare again and again. I think I will add shredded carrots on top of the rest ingredients next time. Great on noodles, rice, potatoes or toast. I am using my pressure cooker quite a bit, both of my ovens went out at the same time!

Let me just start by saying this was the first time I have used a pressure cooker in my life and I was extremely intimidated. But this recipe was so easy, I couldn't believe it. I threw in some red skinned potatoes and chopped carrots. The flavor was unbeatable. Tasted like something Grandma would spend all day making. LOVED IT. Thanks so much Shelley.

On Oct 10, 2009

Since the flavor is unbeatable and we LOVED IT, giving it five stars instead of just four. Don't understand why folks hold back that last star when they LOVE a recipe. Used a vegetable steamer insert with peeled potatoes, onion cut into quarters, and whole shallots up out of the liquid. It keeps them from turning into mush. Easy and wonderful pressure cooker recipe! ****
Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken
By: LitaLou May 2, 2009
I've fallen in love with my pressure cooker and was anxious to try this. It's now my new favorite way to prepare a whole chicken. This recipe is a combination of ideas I found online, and you certainly could use any seasonings you want. The chicken turns out somewhere between roasted & stewed, and is delicous, tasty & moist. I served it with brown rice tossed with some dried basil & moistened with some of the juice from the chicken. You can have a real feast in 45 mins. tops!
Ingredients
2 lbs whole chickens
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper
1 1/2 cups water or chicken broth
Directions
1Rinse chicken & pat dry. Season with salt & pepper. Heat oil in uncovered pressure cooker; brown chicken on all sides in hot oil. Remove chicken; place rack in pressure cooker and place browned chicken in rack. Add water/broth around chicken. Place lid on cooker, seal, and bring up to pressure. Cook for 25 minutes. Release pressure by quick release method. Remove chicken to platter, pour accumulated juice into bowl & serve with chicken
Grandma's Pressure Cooker Pot Roast
By: 49flavours Oct 2, 2009
This makes the best gravy and the most tender roast. My grandmother makes this all the time for company. Everyone always loves it and it makes the house smell wonderful. My favorite part has always been the tender, gravy flavored vegetables.
Ingredients
1 tablespoon oil
2 lbs sirloin tip roast (or chuck)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 baking potatoes, peeled
4 carrots, chopped into 2-inch pieces
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
3 cups water
Directions
1Sprinkle salt and pepper on the roast.
2Warm oil in a pressure cooker over medium high heat.
3Add the roast and brown on both sides. Take it off the heat.
4Pour Worcestershire sauce over the roast, and place the onion slices on top. Add potatoes and carrots. Pour in enough water to cover 1" above the roast.
5Put the lid on and heat on high. When the pressure cooker reaches the proper temperature, the rocker will jiggle audibly.
6Adjust the heat to low, or enough to maintain pressure, and keep a slow, steady rocking motion. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check on it by lifting the pot and shaking gently to make sure it doesn't cook dry.
7Run the lid under cold water to help release the pressure before unsealing.
Lentil Soup in 10 Minutes (Pressure Cooker)
By: blucoat
Feb 16, 2009
This is a super-fast, filling, healthy, and delicious vegetarian soup. Note: you may add corn kernels when you remove the pressure cooker lid. Remember that this soup is hotter than any soup that you make on the stove so let it cool accordingly. Recipe adapted from "The Veggie Queen" Jill Nussinow, MS, RD, and is on her DVD, "Pressure Cooking: A Fresh Look".
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, cut into 1/8-inch half moons
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon fresh winter savory (optional) or fresh summer savory (optional)
6 cups water or all-natural vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups green lentils or brown lentils
1/2 cup red lentil
1 medium potato, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2-1 teaspoon kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions
1Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over medium heat.
2Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the carrots and sauté for another minute. Add the bay leaves, thyme, savory as desired, water or broth, lentils, and potato. Stir well.
3Lock the lid in place on the cooker and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat until you achieve high pressure. Reduce the heat to maintain pressure for 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the pressure come down naturally. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you. Remove the bay leaves and thyme stems, and add salt and pepper to taste. Top with grated Parmesan as desired.
Vegetable Beef Soup - Pressure Cooker Recipe- Bill Knapp's
By: Uncle 12 Feb 9, 2009
One of my memories of going to Bill Knapp's was looking forward to having a bowl of their delicious vegetable soup. This recipe is not spot on, but I feel it's close, but nevertheless satisfying. I use a pressure cooker when preparing this recipe. The beef nearly melts in your mouth and from start to finish in about an hour. I got the recipe from a newspaper article, I made a couple of minor changes to the recipe and use the pressure cooking method instead of conventional method.
Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck steaks, cut into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch cubes, trim fat
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup carrot, sliced
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 medium potato, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
6 teaspoons beef base
8 cups water
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons olive oil

1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper, to taste
Directions
1In 5 or 6 quart pressure cooker brown beef on all sides in oil.
2Stir in all ingredients EXCEPT tomatoes.
3Lock lid on pressure cooker and cook on high until the weight begins to "jiggle".
4Lower heat to a slow consistent "jiggle" and cook for 15 minutes.
5Remove from heat and let pressure release conventionally.
6Stir in tomatoes and return to stove and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes.
7I used a 5 qt pressure cooker at 12 pounds of pressure for this recipe.
Pressure Cooker Pork Loin
By: Chef #1007777 Oct 31, 2008
Ingredients
4 lbs pork loin (with or without bone)
2/3 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
1/4 cup oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 onion, peeled and quartered
3-4 tablespoons italian seasoning
3 tablespoons cold water
3 tablespoons cornstarch

1/3 (32 1/16 ounce) box chicken broth
Directions
1Prepare the pork loin by rubbing in the Italian Seasoning and crushed garlic. Heat the oil in the pressure cooker and put in a few of the onion pieces to flavor the oil leaving it just long enough to soften slightly, then remove it and set aside. Brown the roast on all sides and both ends. Remove to extra plate so that you can add 2/3rds of the chicken broth scraping the bottom of the pan to get up all the good bits; add the trivet and return the roast, fat side up. Add the onion. Pressure cook for 1 hour; remove from heat and let it the pressure come down on its own.
2Remove the roast and onions to a serving dish and tent with foil to rest for 15 minutes. In the meantime, mix the cold water and corn starch in a mixing cup or small bowl (I like to add a little pepper here). Remove the trivet from pot, add the rest of the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the water/corn starch mixture to the pot and remove from heat. This makes a wonderful gravy for the roast.
Excellent recipe. We like a lot of garlic so I used 5. I split one clove and sauteed it with the onion and removed it before it browned. I poked a few holes in the fat and pushed in some of the remaining crushed garlic cloves. I used a slightly smaller roast (3.6 lbs) so I reduced cooking time to 45 minutes. I colored the gravy with Kitchen Bouquet. My family thought this dish was very tender, flavorful, juicy, easy, and quick. What more can you ask for in a recipe?
Chicken Piccata for Pressure Cooker

By: KateL Jul 27, 2008
Italian chicken with full lemon flavor. It is important to use fresh lemons. When I follow Toula Patsalis in "The Pressure Cooker Cookbook", I never go wrong! Serve with sauteed green beans topped with toasted slivered almonds.
Ingredients
6 chicken breast halves
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup olive oil
4 shallots
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon sherry wine
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup pimento stuffed olive, minced
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon potato starch or flour
1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated (1 ounce) or fontinella cheese, grated
1 lemon, thinly sliced, to garnish
Directions
1Lightly dust chicken pieces with flour (easily done by putting flour in bag, then chicken and shaking; excess flour can be shaken off).
2In pressure cooker, heat oil. Add chicken breasts, two at a time, and saute in hot oil until brown on all sides, using long-handled tongs to turn. Set aside.
3Add shallots and garlic and saute in oil, scraping bottom of pan to loosen browned particles remaining from chicken. Stir in broth, lemon juice, sherry, salt, pepper, basil, and olives. Mix well.
4Add chicken pieces skin side down. Secure lid. Over medium-high heat, develop steam to high pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook 10 minutes. Release pressure according to manufacturer's directions. Remove lid.
5Stir chicken mixture, then transfer chicken to serving platter, and cover to retain heat.
6Whisk sour cream and starch together. Stir into cooking liquid and cook over medium heat 1 minute, stirring constantly.
7Spoon sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with lemon slices.
8Makes 6 servings.
I love using my pressure cooker and this recipe is a perfect reason why. I used white wine for the sherry and garlic jalapeno stuffed olives. I was impressed that the breading on the chicken stayed perfectly intact after cooker! I served over a wild rice blend and with a side a peas. THANKS for telling the book's author! I just ordered myself a copy. Roxygirl

Geat recipe- the chicken is amazing in the pressure cooker- Thanks for sharing
A very good recipe. I'll make it again, for sure. I was cooking for two and used just 1/2 of a Jurassic Park-sized, boneless-skinless chicken breast (16+ ounces). I used much less than 1/4 cup of olive oil since I was only browning 1/2 a breast. I made the full amount of sauce as I was serving it over spaghetti. One cup of olives seemed excessive, I used 1/2 C and it was just fine. Next time, I'll cut the lemon juice by 1 or 2 Tbs. and I think it'll be just perfect for my taste. Thanks for the recipe and I'll have to check out that slow cooker cookbook you mentioned.
This was amazing; my family raved about it! The only change I made was to add 1 tsp of dried thyme because I always add thyme to lemon-chicken. This is a definite keeper for us; thanks for sharing it! I am always looking for great recipes for my PC.
This recipe is incredible!!!! I just bought a pressure cooker from Wolfgang Puck and was worried about finding some recipes, considering the book they send you is a joke...I decided to try this one and I have to tell you,...I made it for my family of 5 and when dinner was done there was not a drop to be found!!!! My sons are very picky and never finish their dinner and it was GONE! The only things I changed were: I added more chicken broth (I like it to have more of a sauce) I used a whole can...and used two fresh lemons ( it was nice and tart) and added mushrooms. The compliments at dinner was definately note worthy and definate a do over! Thank you for this fantastic recipe, can't wait to try more!
Excellent recipe and very easy. I used bone in skinless chicken thighs. I seasoned the flour w/garlic, red and black pepper before coating chicken. I also used a whole can of roasted garlic chicken broth(what I had in pantry) and added some mushrooms. Served over rice. Will be making this again
This was so tasty, just loved it!!! I made this as written, except used 3 very large chicken breast halves but kept the same amount for the sauce, as I was serving it over pasta and left out the olives. I loved how it infused the flavor into the chicken. Will definitely make again, but will probably sub boneless, skinless chicken breasts and decrease the cooking time. Thanks for sharing a great recipe Kate. Made for 123 tag.
YUM! I followed this to the letter and used fat free sour cream - it was divine!! I even served it with sautéed green beans topped with toasted almonds. I had some brown butter in the fridge, so I mixed it with olive oil for the bean sauté - a very decadent taste. Mmmm... Next time (because I will be making this again) I will cut back on the salt, as I find the olives add quite an intense saltiness of their own. Thank you for posting this great, unique recipe!!
I love using my pressure cooker and this recipe is a perfect reason why. I used white wine for the sherry and garlic jalapeno stuffed olives. I was impressed that the breading on the chicken stayed perfectly intact after cooker! I served over a wild rice blend and with a side a peas. THANKS for telling the book's author! I just ordered myself a copy. Roxygirl
Geat recipe- the chicken is amazing in the pressure cooker- Thanks for sharing

I made this 3 times so far. Fantastic dish lots of prep time. Way more than ten min
Rolled Chicken N Dumplins
Feb 11, 2008
This recipes calls for bacon grease as the fat in the dumplins, and are the best I've ever had. They are not doughy or sticky. It was passed to me by my mom and she got it from a friend. I use split chicken breasts, just because I prefer white meat. Roll out dumplings while the chicken is cooking. I use a 6 qt pressure cooker.
Ingredients
2-3 lbs chicken (cut up)
shortening or other fat
water
salt & pepper
2-4 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 egg (slightly beaten)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons bacon grease
milk, as needed
Directions
1Brown chicken in preheated shortening in bottom of pressure cooker until it can be bumped loose (both sides).
2Remove chicken and pour a little water into cooker and loosen any of the pieces of skin stuck to the bottom.
3Replace chicken and cover with water up to about an inch or so from the rim of the pot and add salt & pepper and bouillon cubes.
4Put lid & seal on pressure cooker and follow cooker's instructions.
5Cook chicken 20-30 minutes (the chicken should be falling off the bone).
6Prepare dumplings-mix flour, powder, salt, egg, and bacon grease-dough will need milk-add milk a tablespoon (or less) at a time until soft dough ball forms.
7Splitting the dough in half makes it easier to manage.
8Roll dough onto smooth flour covered surface (I use my kitchen table) as thin as you can before it starts splitting.
9Cut the dough into whatever size you like-they will grown some (I make them about 1 x 2 inches & cut long rows first).
10Place them on a plate to wait to be added to chicken stock.
11Remove chicken and any skin or bones that might have fallen off from the stock.
12Let chicken cool in a bowl until you can handle it safely and remove all the meat from the bones and tear it into small enough pieces to serve.
13Bring chicken stock to a low steady boil.
14Separate as you add dumplins in a few at a time to prevent from sticking together.
15Stir dumplings a few times in between adding to prevent them from sticking.
16Cook dumplings at least 10 minutes to your texture taste. I usually cook them longer so as not to have doughy dumplings.
17Add chicken pieces and bring back to a boil, then remove from heat and serve.
18There is no need to add flour to the stock, the flour from the dough thickens it perfectly.
NiftyDeb
On Jan 18, 2009

This is how I remember the dumplins in Chicken & Dumplins! This is a great recipe especially on a cold winter/fall evening. I have never browned my chicken before cooking it for chicken and dumplings and I think it really made the difference. I added diced carrots, celery and Lawrey's seasoning salt to taste. And I have to admit, my DH likes his gravy heavy, so I did blend 1/4 cup flour in 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth. Thank you so much godsvip!
Grannydragon's Pot Roast in Peach Juice
By: Grannydragon Jan 15, 2008
This is a Pressure cooker recipe that I have been making for several decades. Try not to swoon when tasting the gravy. I never have measured, but I will make a guess.

Ingredients
3-4 lbs beef roast
2 tablespoons olive oil, for browning
1-2 onions, peeled & quartered
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
salt & pepper, to taste
1-2 quart peach juice
3-4 tablespoons cornstarch
3 ounces cold water
Directions
1Set the beef roast out to climatize to room temperature, at least 30 minute
2Heat the oil in the pressure cooker, until it starts to smoke. Season the roast. Gently and carefully put the roast in to brown. Do not be in a hurry, let it brown really dark, but do not burn, this will bring out the best flavor.
3When the roast is browned nicely on both sides, throw in the onion and garlic.
4Put in enough peach juice to cover the roast.
5Put on the pressure cooker lid. When pressure begins to escape is the time to start your timer. 45 minutes should make the meat fork-tender.
6At the end of 45 minutes, remove the pressure cooker from the stove. Allow it to rest about 15 minutes. Then remove the valve, when all pressure is released, remove the lid.
7Place your roast on a platter and allow it to rest, before carving.
8Gravy:.
9While the cooked roast is resting, it is time to make the gravy.
10Make a slurry of the corn starch and cold water.
11Bring the pot liquid to the boil, stir the slurry once more and pour into the pot liquid, using a (kitchen)whip, lash it gently until it thickens, to am obedient gravy. This being a very simple step.
12Carve the meat. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Chicken Cacciatore (Pressure Cooker)
By: BxChick Nov 14, 2007
Modified from "Pressure Perfect" by Lorna Sass. I got a pressure cooker last Christmas and until yesterday, it was still sitting in the box. I vowed to use it before this Christmas, and this was the first thing I made in it. I made a few substitutions based on what I had on hand, and I was so happy with the results. Serve with rice, pasta or potatoes.
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 shallots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
1/2 cup white wine (not cooking wine)
10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
3 lbs bone-in skinless chicken breast halves or skinless chicken thighs
2 cups crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (6 ounce) can pitted black olives or kalamata olives, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese
salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions
1Heat the oil in a 4-quart or larger cooker. Add the shallots and bell pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the shallots soften slightly, about 2 minutes.
2Stir in the wine and boil until about half evaporates. Scrape up any browned bits sticking to the bottom of the cooker.
3Stir in the mushrooms and garlic. Set the chicken on top. Cover the chicken with crushed tomatoes. Do not stir. Plop the tomato paste on top.
4Lock the lid in place.
5Over high heat bring to high pressure. Reduce the heat just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for 8 minutes.
6Turn off the heat.
7Allow the pressure to come down naturally. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow steam to escape.
8Stir in the olives, parsley, red pepper flakes, cheese, and salt and pepper, to taste.
Pressure Cooker Artichokes
By: Antifreesz Oct 11, 2007 A Simple way to enjoy artichokes

Ingredients
8 baby artichokes
3 garlic cloves (to taste)
1 lemon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions
1Trim tops of baby artichokes.
2Chop 1 or 2 gloves of garlic and put pieces between artichoke leaves.
3Put remaining garlic in pressure cooker.
4Place artichoke in steamer basket and place on trivet in the pressure cooker.
5Slice lemon and add a slice to steamer basket.
6drizzle olive oil over artichokes.
7Set to high pressure or 2 on the Optima T-Fal pressure cooker for 12 minutes.
8Serve with remaining lemon.
Mushroom Risotto in Pressure Cooker
By: CJ13 Sep 17, 2007
Easy Risotto recipe that will have everyone asking for seconds.
Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cups arborio rice or risotto rice
4 cups chicken broth
1-1 1/2 cup fresh grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese

Directions
1In a presssure cooker, heat 4tbs Olive oil and 2 Tbs Butter.
2Add onion and garlic. Saute until translucent.
3Add portabella and rice. Stir until rice is coated with oil.
4Add Chicken broth.
5Cover and cook under high pressure for 7 minutes.
6Release pressure and add remaining 2 TBS of butter. Stir in Parmesan cheese and serve.
Canned Meatballs
By: Wilmom
Aug 15, 2007
Sweet 'n' Sour Meatballs w/Rice; Spaghetti 'n' Meatballs; BBQ Meatballs--you name it! When you have them canned, you're only minutes away from a meal! (I'll post those recipes later-for now, we'll concentrate on meatballs. You don't need to use my meatball recipe: whatever is your favorite meatball recipe, make a quantity of it, form it into balls, place it in jars, and follow the canning directions I've laid out below! They're delicious and handy!
SERVES 28 (change servings and units)

Ingredients
4 lbs ground beef (85/15 mix)
1 (1/4 lb) package saltine crackers, crushed
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons salt
Directions
1Mix all ingredients, to combine well.
2Form into balls, packing ingredients together tightly.
3Hand-wash jars and jar lids and bands, then run them through dishwasher cycle to sterilize.
4Place meatballs in quart-sized canning jars that have been cleaned and sterilized. (Pack only to within 1" of top of jar.).
5Wipe rim of jar to remove grease or food bits.
6Place lid on jar. Screw on band.
7Place filled jars in pressure canner.
8Add water to canner, to about 2" deep.
9Place lid on canner and make sure lid is securely fastened.
10Open petcock.
11Turn on Medium-high heat.
12When steam is rapidly escaping through petcock, close petcock. Pressure will start to rise at this point.
13When pressure reaches 10 lb., start lowering heat, till the needle on the pressure gauge stabliizes at 10 lb.
14Start timing: 90 minutes for quarts; 70 minutes for pints.
15When timing is done, turn off heat, and leave the canner alone till pressure reaches zero.
16Open petcock to release any remaining steam.
17Remove lid.
18Remove jars, and set in a draft-free place to cool.
19When cool, remove bands, wipe down jars with a clean, damp-warm cloth.
20Label and place in pantry.
21TO USE: Remove lid, and Set jar in pan of hot water, to melt the grease, before removing meatballs, one at a time, with an iced-tea spoon; or place in microwave just long enough to melt the grease, then remove one at a time, using an iced tea spoon.
22NOTE: canned meatballs will always have a red center. They ARE cooked through, and you don't have to worry about the color. Now, they're ready to use in your favorite meatball recipe! ALSO, this recipe may make less or more than 7 quart jars full.
Chicken and Tortellini With Parmesan Cream Sauce
By: wackopatty May 28, 2007

Ingredients
3 slices bacon, cut in pieces
1/4 cup butter
1 onion, minced or 4 shallots, minced
3 tablespoons dry parsley flakes
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 small carrot, sliced thin
8 ounces cheese-filled tortellini
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
2 cups chicken broth
1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut in 2 inch pieces
1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces (optional)
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
2 teaspoons flour or potato starch
1/3 cup parmesan cheese (plus extra to serve)
Directions
1In pressure cooker, saute bacon for 2 minutes. Add butter, onions and parsley. Saute 2 minutes, stirring.
2Stir in chicken, carrot, tortellini,mushrooms (optional) and tarragon. Add broth and mix well. Secure lid. Over high heat, develop steam to high pressure. Reduce heat and maintain pressure and cook for 6 minutes. Release pressure and remove lid.
3Stir in asparagus. Over high heat, develop steam to med-high pressure and cook for 2 more minutes. Release pressure and remove lid.
4Combine milk, butter, 1/3 cup cheese in a bowl and blend thoroughly. Gradually add to chicken and tortellini mixture, gently stirring over medium heat until sauce thickens and becomes creamy.
5Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with additional cheese.
Mustang Sally 54269 Fabulous recipe. I was able to finally replace my electronic pressure cooker so I'm on the hunt again for good/great cooker recipes. I enjoyed the subtle, yet somewhat savory, flavour of the tarragon/parsley. We don't like real rich dishes so this was perfect with the broth/cream combination. As always I sub'd yogurt for the milk/cream & cut back the butter considerably. For the onion we used some green ones along with chopped leeks. Did 1 3/4 lb chicken breasts & it was a good balance between pasta/vegys & meat for us. Thanks so much for sharing.
5 Stars! DH begs for this. This was really good, similar to Campbell soup recipes, except that this was a cut above and had less salt. It came up to pressure quickly. With the exception of an onion substituted for 4 shallots and the addition of mushroom pieces, this recipe appears to be adapted from Toula Patsalis, "The Pressure Cooker Cookbook." This works fine in my Cook's Essentials 6-quart electric pressure cooker.
This is delicious! My husband and I both loved it. I used chicken tenderloin pieces and they worked great. Thanks!
Pressure Cooker Corned Beef

By: Always in the kitchen Connie Mar 13, 2007
The easiest and most tender corned beef. This recipe is for all of you that have that pressure cooker tucked away someplace. It makes the most tender corned beef brisket, in just over an hour. Cooking with the water tends to cut the salt down some also. Once you make it this way, you'll never go back to oven cooking. Just remember the key to a good brisket, is always cutting against the grain. The point cut may have two or more grains, so cut carefully.
Ingredients
1 (3 lb) corned beef brisket, flat cut preferred
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon pickling spices (optional)
water
Directions
1Place corn beef in pressure cooker. If, too large, cut in half. Add season packet, that comes with meat, along with bay leaf, garlic and pickling spices if using. Add water, so just even with top of meat.
2Turn burner on, and bring to a boil, put cover and rocker on, and cook until rocker starts rocking. Keep at medium to low rocking motion, and cook for 1 hour. Turn off burner. Allow pressure to escape on it's own. Carefully open pot and remove meat to serving platter. Let rest 5 minutes, and slice in thin slices, against the grain with electric knife.
Chef #1199757 On May 22, 2009 If you want New York Deli quality corned beef, this recipe is for you. It takes time to prepare using this method but there is almost no effort involved. Get yourself some rye bread, mustard and have at it. It's not Katz's in New York but it's about as close as you'll get at home.
I just found my mothers old mirro pressure cooker and since corned beef is on sale because of st. particks day I decided to try this recipe out. It turned out great
Have had my pressure cooker for a good 40 years. But never though to cook a corned beef in it.Oh my this is the only way to cook one.It was so tender you could cut it with a fork, not stringy like boiling does.And it did not shrink, like boiling does.I only added 2 cups water per my cooker instructions.And added the extra spice.I cooked the veggies in plain water, than drained and let them cook a bit in the juice from the cooker.My dinner was devine. Thank you so much, for this post.
I've been cooking corned beef the conventional way for decades. After receiving my first pressure cooker, I found this recipe and tried it, much to the delight of my family. It's true, the corned beef brisket shrinks less, cooks faster and is tender in a little over an hour. With the 4 pound roast at 10 psi, the increased cooking time (80 minutes) and conventional cool down made this the perfect recipe. Thank you!

Chop Suey Retro 60's Style
By: mama's kitchen Dec 4, 2006
This is Mama's Mama's recipe from 'back in the day'! I remember eating this as a kid and loving it. When friends came over on Chop Suey night they looked at it and said- No way, I don't eat that! but then tried it and LOVED it too! This was a great way to get us to eat some veggies we otherwise would have turned our nose up at. Hope you enjoy this retro recipe! My mother got it from an old Woolworth's Cookbook. There are lots of items readily available in our times so substitutions and additions are endless! I would add some canned baby corn, and use straw mushrooms and maybe even some fresh bok choy in place of the bean sprouts- i never did care for those anyway! I am also gonna try this now with turkey or chicken bc I don't eat pork or beef anymore. Please zmail me if you remember eating this recipe back then and we can compare hula hoop stats!

Ingredients
1 tablespoon shortening
1 1/2 lbs pork or beef, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
salt
pepper
flour
1 large onion, diced
3 cups celery, sliced
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons molasses
8 ounces mushrooms, canned reserve liquid
8 ounces sliced water chestnuts
bean sprouts, canned (optional) or bean sprouts, fresh (optional)
Garnish
white rice
chow mein noodles
soy sauce
Directions
1Chicken option: I sliced some chicken breast thinly and stir fried it then continued with the remaining steps and ingredients using sir frying rather than the pressure cooker. Worked wonderfully.
2Heat shortening in cooker. Dust meat with lightly with seasoned flour and brown meat in batches in hot, smoky oil.
3Add onion, celery, soy, molasses, and reserved liquids from canned vegetables adding water to equal 1 cup.
4Cover and set rocker. (The book doesn't specify a setting so I would use 10 lbs) Heat until you get a steady rocking and cook 10 minutes.
5Allow to cool.
6Stir in vegetables and heat through. If using fresh bean sprouts cook until they are done to your taste.
7Mom served this over rice with chow mein noodles on top and extra soy sauce.
kac2002 On Dec 1, 2008 This is great. This is the way my Mom made what we called chow mein back in the 50's. It was our favorite meal.
Pressure Cooker Chicken Fillets, Basis for Savory Pies Etc

By: kiwidutch Nov 15, 2006
I have experimented with this until I'm finally happy with it... no, delighted with it. I use chicken breasts because it saves the hassle of picking out the bones, bonus time saver. It makes a great chicken basis for fillings such as: chicken pastry pies, chicken ragout, chicken pasta and chicken potato dishes, and if followed until Step 9, also for my Chicken lasagne recipe... I use this to get great healthy and hearty flavour without too much time and effort. It makes a lot, but it freezes well.. if it ever gets that far because it never takes long to disappear ! My not-so-fussed-on-chicken-DH actually likes this too. The recipe is so much easier and illogically, faster... if you start it the night before (I have this on while I'm cooking dinner, then let it cool, refrigerate the lot overnight and next day all you have to do is discard any fat and the rest is easyville) If you have spring onions or leeks or zucchini that need using then throw them in as well. The instructions are long, but mega easy. Cooking time includes overnight refrigeration time. ZWT REGION: The Netherlands.
SERVES 4 -6 , 2 baking dishes (change servings and units)
Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
2 kg chicken breasts (4.4 lb)
3-4 celery ribs, roughly chopped
3 small onions, diced
3 carrots, peeled and very roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves (minced)
1/4 head broccoli
2 heads endive (roughly chopped)
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 bunch fresh thyme
3 tablespoons fresh tarragon (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper
Sauce
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons flour
chicken stock (will be self made from this recipe)
Directions
1Melt the butter in the bottom of the pressure cooker, toss in the onions, celery and garlic and sauté gently for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper.
2Add the carrot chunks, layer the fresh herbs on top (without removing leaves from the tough stalks), then place the chicken fillets on top of that, followed by the broccoli, endive and any other veggies I want to throw inches
3DO remember however, that the pressure cooker should not be more than 3/4 full. Fill pressure cooker with water about 1/3rd to 1/2 full. your chicken and veggies should *not* be swimming, but there should be enough water to make some decent stock so eyeball the amount of water that you think is about right according to your volume of chicken.
4Seal, and once it's up to pressure, cook on moderately high element for 30-40 minutes (depends on how much chicken I'm doing at once).
5Turn off the heat and let it de-pressurize as slowly as possible. this slow-er cooling seems to improve the flavour.
6Once the pressure is off enough, take off the lid and let it cool completely.
7Usually I refrigerate the whole lot overnight and the next day I can just disgard any hardened fat.
8Carefully remove the chicken pieces and roughly slice -- mine usually obligingly falls to pieces.
9Discard the woody bits of the fresh herbs.
10In a large saucepan, melt the butter, then add the flour, stir so that there are no lumps and add several cups of the chicken stock liquid. stir until sauce has thickened somewhat, adding as much chicken stock liquid as you need to make a firm but not overcooked sauce, you don't want rubber LOL. (Mine is approx 5-6 cups for the whole mix) using a ladle, scoop out all the carrot, onion, mushed broccoli etc and add it to the sauce, mixing well. Let it cool, then add the chicken and mix well, you should have a firm ragout type mixture packed with chicken pieces.
11This mixture comfortably fills TWO 23x23 cm (9 x 9 inch) baking dishes.
12I can now use this mixture to use in my Pressure cooker Chicken Pastry Pie, Pressure cooker Chicken Potato Bake and if made up until Step 9, for Pressure cooker Chicken Lasagne.

Old February 22, 2010   #2
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

earl in the other pc thread i asked if you pc dry beans without soaking them for 6 or 7 hours? i always soak then pc them but if i can pc w/o the soaking then that's better.

thanks,

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2010   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Tom,
The last beans I cooked in the PC I did not soak. They were great beans. All I did was wash the beans [2 cups of Great Northern] and add 6 cups of water and cook them for 25 minutes and let pressure drop on it's own. No salt until the beans are cooked. I added the beans to some Southwestern White Chili. I read a bean cooking tip today, bring the beans up to high slowly [on medium heat] and it will keep the skins from separating from the beans.
Earl
Old February 23, 2010   #4
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

thanks earl this is great news. i've pc dried beans since 1983 and i always soaked them meaning if i wanted to make something i had to plan ahead. i soak for 6-8 hours, drain, pc for 35 minutes with about 2/3 as much water as beans. this will make life alot easier!
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2010   #5
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad to see you two raving about the PC. I got mine a couple years ago, it's fantastic and I use it several times a week. I make chicken soup in it. It takes about 30 min. from start to finish. Actually so does beef stew. As long as you have some beef in the freezer, a good meal is never far away.

Keep telling people the new ones don't explode. People are so afraid of them.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2010   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I use a Fagor PC and have only used it a dozen times or so, Usually for some type of beef or risotto. I am making the northern beans in it tonight for a nutritious side.