Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 4, 2009   #1
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Default Fusarium and Seeds

Tomato Folks,

Is Fusariam transfered to the seeds of plants? Should seeds from plants that died of this or other systemic diseases be scraped?

I am not sure if my plant had Fusariam Wilt but it is still an interesting question anyway

What do you think?

Greg
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflynn View Post
Tomato Folks,

Is Fusariam transfered to the seeds of plants? Should seeds from plants that died of this or other systemic diseases be scraped?

I am not sure if my plant had Fusariam Wilt but it is still an interesting question anyway

What do you think?

Greg
''

Greg, there are many tomato diseases that can be seed borne, ranging for the foliage disease pathogens such as the two fungal ones, Early Blight and Septoria Leaf Spot and two bacterial ones Bacterial Speck and Bacterial Spot, to systemic ones such as Fusarium and others.

Without typing a lot I'm linking you to an article about tomato seed production/diseases done by Dr. Jeff McCormack, the former owner of SESE and I'll let you read about seed borne diseases which starts, I think on page 12 but good info before that.

Methods to disinfect seeds and lots of other good information are in this article. And the list of known seed borne diseases is not complete but should give you a good idea of their prevalence.

http://www.savingourseed.org/pdf/Tom...onVer_2pt6.pdf
Old March 5, 2009   #3
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Carolyn,

Thanks, it's a good article. It seems that they don't want folks to keep seed if there is any suspision. That makes sense because keeping things clean in an environment where their is disease could be difficult. The article seems to imply, however, that the disease would be on the outside of the seed and not the inside necessarily. I am not sure though.

I am going to dig up one of my gardens and put the dirt in a trash can with some boiling water and keep it at 120 for 5 minutes and then dump it back in the hole, one trash can at a time. I have beer brewing equipment so I can boil lots of water fast!

This may give the garden a good year. I lack space so all of it is precious.

Greg

Last edited by gflynn; March 5, 2009 at 05:12 PM.
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote