Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2018   #1
anabri
Tomatovillian™

Default Can anyone tell me what’s killing my plants?

The lower leaves on a few of my tomato plants have started to roll and the plants are looking unhappy. The undersides of the leaves have shiny goldish-brown patches. I’m wondering if anyone can diagnose the issue. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1F945624-E579-484A-85D7-40FDFA22F8AB.jpg (281.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 3117ADA2-641C-45AF-9211-1C264CF00B8E.jpg (283.2 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 9DC04F85-0391-4FBE-85E0-F3B744EF6302.jpg (504.3 KB, 186 views)
anabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #2
Antipodean
Tomatovillian™

Spider mites I think. Get a white piece of paper, hold it under a leaf and shake it. If it's spider mites you will see little specks on the paper and they will start to move about.
Antipodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I add a vote for spider mites. I had them back in 2009. That's when I started using "Garden Safe" which contains a mitacide. It is also a fungicide and an insecticide. And, best of all, it is considered "organic". I do preventative sprayings with it and have not seen spider mites again. It also controls hornworms and cut worms. If you decide to use it, I recommend preventative applications to the bottoms of the foliage about every two weeks.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I don't see tell tale webs on the veins. I would want to see more pictures of the rest of the plant and the leaf apexes.
Old June 16, 2018   #5
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I think definitely mites, perhaps tomato russet mites. You won't always see the webbing. That looks pretty advanced so take action now, it might already be too late. If it were me I would use pure unrefined need oil at 2 tbsp. Per gallon with a tbsp. Dawn dish soap. Good luck!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Take a magnifier and take a look. I mean, if it's difficult for you to see it, it will be even harder for us to see it in a picture.
My first impression was thrips maybe. It's unlikely to be spider mites. They don't really like those old leathery leaves, sometimes the whole plant can be eaten and those are still fine.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #7
jillian
Tomatovillian™

http://www.amgrow.com.au/problem/tomato-mite/

Do yours resemble these? I had them one year and they were too far gone by the time I finally diagnosed correctly.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It could definitely be spider mites but it could also possibly be a bad case of flea beetles. Some of my leaves got to looking like that this year when the flea beetles got really bad.
If it is spider mites you need to start fighting them as soon as possible. I recommend a mix of Permethrin, Dawn, and food grade diatomaceous earth sprayed on all parts of the plant, especially the undersides of the leaves.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote