Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old February 21, 2008   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeds in sauce...

yes or no? In or out?

Never did mind them myself, but met a neighbor who swears she cleans every one out with her strainer. She won't eat it if it has them. Can't see going through all the trouble if it's not worth it.

What's the big taste difference to you?
Is it good/bad for canning in the long run. If there is an effect.. She thinks there may be. I don't know.
Do you have to alter the ingredients to your sauce?

I was never that picky about leaving them in myself. Only time I really strained them with my wood pestle get-up was when I made Sungold sauce. Some I strain, other I don't.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2008   #2
bonekittyslug
Tomatovillian™

You may think I'm weird (and I am!), but when I make juice I actually sit there picking the seeds from the strainer and putting them back into my juice.

Dunno, just think it give the juice a little something extra.

Some say that seeds add a certain bitterness for the long term. Dunno...Either I don't notice it or I like it. Not sure which.

The life of a cat...Sleep 'til you're hungry...Eat 'til you're tired!

Spay or neuter your best friend!!
bonekittyslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2008   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I run my tomatoes through a food mill after they've cooked down a bit. The main reason I do this is actually to remove the skin, but the seeds also come out this way. I don't think I'd mind the seeds but big long strings of skin are a turn off.
Old February 21, 2008   #4
felpec
Tomatovillian™

In - way too lazy to pick them out and don't have storage space for a food mill/strainer (too many other kitchen gadgets). After I cook down the sauce, I use a stick blender (told you I have too many kitchen gadgets). This chops up the long stringy bits of skin and sort of chops up the seeds. I think both the skin and the seeds add to the flavor.

Nobody has complained yet, and there usually aren't any leftovers.
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008   #5
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I'm one who doesn't like the seeds in there if I can help it. It seems that I get this horrid twang of bitterness when I bite into one. I don't think the sauce itself is tainted but only when I bite into one. I run mine through a strainer when I can. I do know of many others who don't mind them a bit, though.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote