Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 23, 2011   #31
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

OK, that is a bit different than what I have.

Mine is braided nylon around some kind of black fiber material kind of like felt roofing. It didn't seem to clog up when I used it on some smaller weeds and got it in the dirt a fair amount.

I was using the 33% Roundup too and as long as the plants are dry and don't have dew on them, it didn't bother anything it didn't touch.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #32
JackE
Tomatovillian™

This looks like regular braided nylon to me, Carol - with the ends sealed. It's probably the same stuff, but the soil is different. The soil type makes all the difference sometimes. Some are fine, others coarse and some are sticky. I have a small area of what we call "gumbo" down in my creek bottom - black, heavy, hard to work and unbelievably rich and productive. I know the wick would not plug-up down there as it does in the sandy loam.

As an aside, most of the soil in this county is acidic sand, suitable only for pine timber production. 3/4 of this 900 square mile county is owned by a few large timber companies. My brother's and my land (inherited) backs-up to Louisiana Pacific, who's holdings go for five miles without a paved road. When I was a kid we ran dogs over there all night for coon and deer (even the occasional bear or panther) but no more!! It's leased to wealthy hunters from Dallas and Houston now, and they have armed guards patrolling the perimeters, and spy on us with binoculars to make sure we don't kill any of "their" deer!

Anyway, what little gumbo soil there is here is owned by a few African-American families, who still farm it. That land was in cotton then, and the owners gave each of them large tracts after the "War for Southern Independence" (that's what our school books used to call the Civil War LOL). They gave them their best land as retribution for their years of unpaid service - and their heirs still have it. They wisely never left for northern cities but stayed right here on the land, raised their kids in church, put-up with us bigoted rednecks (we've seen the light! Dr King showed us we were wrong in our own Bible!), and they prospered.

I take great pride in saying that our elected representative in the Texas legislature is not only a descendant of those slaves - he sits next to me in Sunday School -- James White (R), District 12, Texas State Assembly. The 12th Disrict is 2/3rds white! How 'bout that, huh!! Look him up on Facebook. Remember that name, because you'll hear it again. We're going to send him to Congress!

All was forgiven long ago!

Jack

Last edited by JackE; February 24, 2011 at 07:14 PM.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote