Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old August 12, 2010   #16
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
Trouble here at the small farmers market in town is that some of the folks are participating just to have something to do, so they are selling Big Boys for 1.00 a pound, which surely impacts the sales of others. Just to introduce the locals to heirlooms, I had to sell mine at 2.50 a pound when I first attended, but moved that up to 3.00 on the second visit. Almost all here just want anything large and red that they can throw on a sandwich. Most still don't have a clue what heirloom means or why they would pay extra. Quite a learning curve locally.

I hear ya.

I planted early this year and started getting ripe ones for market 2nd week of June. I start out selling @ $3.00 lb thru July at the market and to chefs, but this year as the heat hit hard the quality begins to dwindle so I drop to 2.50 but never going below 2.00. I found that the people that know what a real tomato is appreciate you growing them and don't mind paying a little extra.
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2010   #17
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

From what I have seen, farmer's markets attract 2 kinds of people: Those that can still remember the farmer's road stand, where produce was half the supermarket price, and those wanting premium produce (and willing/able to pay for it). You have to be able to attract those who are tired of flavorless store bought veggies. Locale is a major factor. Here in Seattle, the same vendor is selling a product for $3.99 at one market one day, and three days later at a different site selling for $1.99...what the market will bear. At the $1.99 site, his/her sales would probably double if they could accept EBT cards.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2010   #18
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Not to drag down this thread, but has there been any attempt to revolt against ridiculous health codes preventing tomato sampling at farmer's markets?

If all of the vendors at farmer's markets banded together, they could draw public attention to this and get the codes thrown out.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2010   #19
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

You're right feldon. Those 'health' codes are spreading like some kind of virus. It hasn't hit us at the markets in Northern New Mexico yet, but we hear it's coming. This fall at the high school where I teach, kids can't sell any food, even apples or cookies without a professional catering license.
Anyway, we're at $4 to $5 a pound for our tomatoes. The market price is between $1.50 and $3.00 recently, though I can't see how they make any money - must just be limiting their losses.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2010   #20
organic_john
Tomatovillian™

In mid-to-late September, in the Charlottesville (University of VA town) farmer's market, prices were 2.00 to 3.50. Those claiming to be organic were on the higher end. I didn't see any certified organic. Just a couple stands sold heirlooms, but quantity was very small.

Maybe prices were higher earlier in the season, but I wasn't around.

I'm curious what farmer's market prices are in DC and Northern VA. Anyone know?
organic_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2010   #21
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

I spent the summer ago (09) in a ritzy area of L.A., CA, and to me, the Farmer's Market was a farce. Probably less than 10% of the vendors were growers. The rest were merchants that made the circuit of markets every week selling whatever they could. Face it: there is no longer much produce being grown in LA county, farmers are not going to drive 100 miles to sell to you on a one-on-one basis in that environment. Most of what was sold was readily available in the high-end supermarket across the street 7 days a week. Yet people would line up to buy "wholesale market" produce and pay double what they would pay at the market across the street. Some people with money to burn will pay anything, thinking they are getting something "special". The average consumer will NOT...you have to show you really have something special.
Old October 16, 2010   #22
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_john View Post
In mid-to-late September, in the Charlottesville (University of VA town) farmer's market, prices were 2.00 to 3.50. Those claiming to be organic were on the higher end. I didn't see any certified organic. Just a couple stands sold heirlooms, but quantity was very small.

Maybe prices were higher earlier in the season, but I wasn't around.

I'm curious what farmer's market prices are in DC and Northern VA. Anyone know?
I shop at two farmers' markets in my area of Northern VA, and the prices for heirloom tomatoes have ranged between $2.50 and $4 for most of the season (mostly around $3 or 3.50), but two weeks ago was down around $2.00/lb (admittedly with limited selection due to drought, deluge, and stink bugs).
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2010   #23
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Dispite 2 light frosts 2 weeks ago, we still have at least some decent cherry tomatoes to pick for market. But it's getting harder to find good tomatoes so I've bumped my price from $2 / pint to 2.50 last week and $3 this Sat. They are still selling pretty well as other sellers are even higher, especially if what they have is greenhouse or high tunnel tomatoes.

But there is one farmer that is selling decent big tomatoes for $1/lb. That is a rediculous price for around here. But that farmer seems to price a lot of his stuff too low all the time. I don't know how they can afford to do it with the price of labor around here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as the thought of banding together and opposing the "no tasting" rules -- it would never happen here. Here the rules are set by the city health dept and only enforced by the market. This market is too big. Well over 150 farmers most Saturdays. You would never get enough of them together to protest. And it has a large and long waiting list of farmers wanting to get into it. None of the farmers would risk getting kicked out of the market.

But we will set out a wedge of watermelon to "show" and we will eat the melon during the market. When people ask for a sample we will tell them "we would love to. But the health dept won't let us". They agree it's a stupid rule. Maybe the education will help in the future.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2010   #24
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

At my local farmer's market, organic heirlooms have been going for a steady $3.50-4.00 per lb, non-organic heirlooms about 2.50, and hybrids for 1.50 - 2.00.

Now I must put in a good word for L.A. Farmers's markets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinTinTin View Post
I spent the summer ago (09) in a ritzy area of L.A., CA, and to me, the Farmer's Market was a farce. Probably less than 10% of the vendors were growers. The rest were merchants that made the circuit of markets every week selling whatever they could. Face it: there is no longer much produce being grown in LA county, farmers are not going to drive 100 miles to sell to you on a one-on-one basis in that environment. Most of what was sold was readily available in the high-end supermarket across the street 7 days a week. Yet people would line up to buy "wholesale market" produce and pay double what they would pay at the market across the street. Some people with money to burn will pay anything, thinking they are getting something "special". The average consumer will NOT...you have to show you really have something special.

I am not doubting your description of the ritzy market you attended but as you know the city of L.A. and the county are very large and diverse and in my experience of other area farmer's markets your description is atypical.

I have been shopping at the Burbank Farmer's market for about 20 years, every sat. morning, rain or shine, having conversations with actual growers, sometimes in front of their old rambler filled with avocados and quince. Or else listening to the groans of the teenage sons when their father promises me that he will bring the crowder beans next week because the boys will go to the outskirts of the fields to pick them no matter how hot it gets. It is true that most (but not all) of the farms are located outside of L.A. county, but they are indeed coming from as far as 100-200 miles away to my middle-class neighborhood's mid-size(20-30 vendors)market and I am truly appreciative of their efforts and I hope all of the growers on this forum have appreciative buyers because I know it's difficult work.

Also the market is a non-profit, the farmers keep their percentage with the rest going to the local hospital foundation.
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2010   #25
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

I agree. I started shopping at another Farmer's Market about 5 miles away from the one I mentioned earlier. Most of those vendors were growers. I think the market in the ritzy neighborhood was a lot of vultures trying to take advantage of the high income area. Fruits/Veggies probably only accounted for 25% of what was there. A lot of packaged goods, and commercial kitchens.
Old December 16, 2010   #26
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

$3/lb in SF Bay Area this past summer. You would think it would be more based on the clientele, but my guess is that the supply in Northern California is greater and that keeps the prices down.

We sell for $3 all summer, and we don't try to get more earlier. We don't have time to discuss supply/demand price changes with customers. We also want to be seen as consistent, and not gouging during times supply is short.

I think this pays off, as our prices are reasonable early, and we get the hooks into customers for the season...

Last edited by Fred Hempel; December 16, 2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: though of additional info
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2010   #27
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

It just occurred to me that most of the discussion is about farmers' market prices. I would also be interested in knowing what the other farmers here are getting wholesale.

We got $2.40-$2.80/lb from a very high end wholesaler, and $1.70-$1.90 most other places (high end supermarkets, and solid distributors).
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2010   #28
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Tomato quality is shocking in the UK, people only seem to want bland red round fruit. The market for blemish free smooth cherry tomatoes is huge, but it's all about look and not taste.
That really surprises me. I always thought the British were sophisticated about everything. Sounds like rural East Texas - all about looks and not taste. The heirloom OPs that these folks are selling for $3/# wouldn't bring anymore at our vegetable stand than red commercial determinates. And they have to be blemish-free.

We are a church-based non-profit and use a voluntary donation can - no set price. Interestingly, tomatoes still average around $1/#. Most of our customers are poor (our stand is in an impoverished rural area) and they only buy our vegetables because they are cheaper in price than Wal-Mart, and they won't take anything -even for free - that doesn't look exactly like grocery store produce. That's all they have to go on, the only standard they know.

Many don't put any money in the can, but we do pick-up some generous customers from the Highway, and we also have a number of middle class folks who buy our veggies and are very generous. All proceeds after expenses are used for our youth programs.

In the course of a year, we grow and distribute tons of fresh produce.

Jack
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote