Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 4, 2010   #1
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Default Help me pick a black... please.

I have the seeds of four blacks and want to grow to sell to a local chef. I want a good taster (obviously) which I assume all fit the bill, but I'm looking for production specifically in pounds per plant. The only one I've grown is JD's which is a great tomato and moderately productive but I wasnt' fond of the 'grazing' around the shoulders but not sure I can get away from that. I know that Cherokee Purple looks different while the other three kind of look the same to me (in pictures at least).

Black Krim
Paul Robeson
JD's C-Tex
Cherokee Purple

I'm not at all opposed to growing more than one of these but wanted to make sure I'm maximizing my space. I've showed the chef pictures of each and he is fine with any. Thanks for your time.
Old February 4, 2010   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Personally I would say Paul Robeson. It's done pretty well for us in 2 less than good summers.

My experiences with Black Krim have been less than spectactular. BK seems more prone than many to "good" years and "off" years. And the off years seem more common than the good years. At least for me.

Carol

Last edited by Wi-sunflower; February 4, 2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #3
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanJohn View Post
I have the seeds of four blacks and want to grow to sell to a local chef. I want a good taster (obviously) which I assume all fit the bill, but I'm looking for production specifically in pounds per plant. The only one I've grown is JD's which is a great tomato and moderately productive but I wasnt' fond of the 'grazing' around the shoulders but not sure I can get away from that. I know that Cherokee Purple looks different while the other three kind of look the same to me (in pictures at least).

Black Krim
Paul Robeson
JD's C-Tex
Cherokee Purple

I'm not at all opposed to growing more than one of these but wanted to make sure I'm maximizing my space. I've showed the chef pictures of each and he is fine with any. Thanks for your time.
The Chef's have been "reading again"! They are just crazy for the Blacks...dried as well. I personally don't "get it". Make sure you charge them extra for those "special" black tomatoes...You know...the ones with the "Smokey-Salty-Earthy-" yadee, yadee, yadee taste...
Old February 4, 2010   #4
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Pacman
again it is where you live and weather - Black Krim always has been good producer here in Calif have not grown JD's C-Tex will this year the others are about the same but CP is larger toms for me - alway done excellent with carbon all around
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #5
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input. Very much appreciated.
Old February 4, 2010   #6
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Tomatoes

If you can find them, Spudatula and Flathead monster would be the ones, if not Black from Tula is a superb choice I have grown lots of blacks and this is one of the best.

Icelord
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #7
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

yeah to icelord but finding is the problem except Black from Tula - is nice big moderate producer - seem to always forget that one
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #8
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Default Blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
yeah to icelord but finding is the problem except Black from Tula - is nice big moderate producer - seem to always forget that one
Dennis
Hey Dennis! Thanks, you know what I mean as for the problem of finding these beauties, There is hope!! There is a very talented guy that sells plants and posts here, Hope I am not out of bounds, But Fusion Power may be able to hook you and all up with the ultimate Black Plants!!

Icelord
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #9
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

You need to grow a pretty tomato, since presentation is important to a chef. If you really want to do well, grow KY heirlooms and the local clientel will be smiling. Maria at Blue Ribbon would be a good one to talk to about KY varieties.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #10
johno
Tomatovillian™

Out of those four, Black Krim is my personal favorite for taste. But they all taste good. For production and appearance, I'd go with Paul Robeson.
Old February 4, 2010   #11
pete
Tomatovillian™

I'm just an hour or so north of you here in Cincinnati. I grew paul robeson and it was very productive but not as flavorful as cherokee purple.
I am growing JD's this year along with cherokee purple. Paul Robeson seems to be a favorite for a lot of growers but the flavor in my garden was not great. I have also grown carbon, black pear, and black prince and they are not on the list this year. Black Krim does well in hot dry years for me, after last year I am trying amazon chocolate, black brandywine (2 sources), liz birt, Indian stripe, spudakee, and vorlon.
It would be a good idea to grow a few varieties in case your main pick don't pick good (english teach rolls in grave).

Pete
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #12
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I personally like the flavor, size, and production of Paul Robeson.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010   #13
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew Black Krim one year here in no-rain-in-the-summer land. For me, it produced a whole bunch at once, the first half of the (long) season. The fruit was more perishable than almost any other one I've grown -- it had to be eaten or processed within a day or two iirc. The flavor was pretty good to great, but after I ran out of people to give them to, I cooked some and they were incredibly rich and luscious. So if you can sell your chefs on a fabulous cooking tomato, and you can get a dry summer , this is a great choice.

On the other hand, I grew it only one year. Does it split a lot in rainy summers?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010   #14
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all of the advice. Cherokee Purple is definitely a beautiful tomato but just not sure about the production. Sounds like there are some Paul Robeson fans out there. I may just have to grow all four and see .
Old February 5, 2010   #15
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

JD's has my vote!
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote