Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old January 20, 2011   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Spremy Electric Tomato Strainer?

I am thinking of getting one of the Spremy Electric Tomato Strainers. My arthritis makes the peeling process very difficult and I would like to put up some sauce without seeds and skins and would like some feedback from anyone who has used this or a similar model. I don't think I can justify the price of some of the high end Italian strainers that are upwards of 300 bucks but I don't want to purchase this thing if it is not durable and relatively easy to use.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2011   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I have one and love it! Very well-made, fast, stands up to heavy usage.

I process several hundred pounds of tomatoes a year with my Spremy, usually after oven roasting, but it will also process raw tomatoes just fine.

It's really not a piece of equipment I'd be inclined to break out to do just a few tomatoes in one sitting, though. Mainly because after using, I'd say it takes about 10 min to get clean.

Oh, and the assembly instructions that come with it are not that good (so-so Italian to English translation) - but once you've got it figured out, fairly easy to put together.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2011   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Sue. If I make 25% of what I made last year then I will need it. Last year I gave away tomatoes by the bucket full and let way too many rot because I couldn't keep up with them. I doubt I will have that kind of production again but I would love to take some of the mess and drudgery out of processing them.
Old January 22, 2011   #4
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I used to use the strainer attachment on my kitchenaid mixer... until... I had to disassemble the motor because tomato juice had backed up into the motor housing. Had to replace the kitchenaid shortly after that (not because of that though) and decided I would not go through that again with the new one. I got out my old victorrio strainer and wondered why I had ever quit using it! The process seemed to go such much faster with the larger hopper! Assembly and cleaning were really easy. If you have that kind now and you can't turn the handle then the Italian one might be a good choice for you. My arthritis is mostly in my knees and hips so it was very easy for me because the handle rotates and is fairly long. Just wash core and throw em in. A friend of mine was using a regular food mill to do her tomatoes and once she tried my victorrio (is it called nor pro now?) she was ecstatic, so much better than her food mill (moulix?) Don't know if this helps as I don't know what you are using to do your tomatoes now.

Last edited by lurley; January 22, 2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2011   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Thanks lurley. I was looking at the hand crank type but my biggest problem is the arthritis in my hands. The hip and knee problems are aggravated by the length of time I have to spend peeling and processing standing at the kitchen counter. I was leaning heavily toward the Spremy before posting this and after hearing from Suze I think I will go ahead and buy one.