Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 31, 2009   #16
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

My oxo mill is being put to the test this year. It does a great job removing seeds and skins from my oven roasted tomatoes with the medium screen. I have made 3 ginormous roaster pans full so far. Easy to use, easy to clean up, and priced very reasonable.
Old August 31, 2009   #17
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

After a lot of research I got the Victorio Model 250:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...RJYYF&v=glance

This is very similar to the BTB model except I believe it has a larger hopper. There are several screens available having different size holes. The screen that comes with the strainer is small holed and makes a fairly smooth puree. I prefer the salsa screen (available separately) which has larger holes and delivers a chunkier sauce with some seeds. The food strainer is also good for berries, apples, grapes, pumpkins, etc.

I just started using my strainer this season and it really speeds up large batches of sauce!

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2009   #18
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the input. As it turns out, my mother had a Foley food mill that she wasn't using anymnore. I have tried several times to make sauce with it...without success. Directions on the blade say to rotate wheel, changing directions and to push down. It takes alot of time and what I get is more juice like...what is left is still pulpy and wet.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2009   #19
Structure
Tomatovillian™

One of the advantages to the BTB as Container Ted pointed out, is that it REALLY takes the juice and pulp out and leaves just seeds and skin behind. I run mine through two or three times and when I'm done I've reduced 30 lbs of tomatoes to maybe 1/4 lb of skin and seed. It's amazing. The residue doesn't even drip...

I'd assume the other upright cranked food mills do likewise. They will also do large quantities fast and IMO are about the same to clean up after. I don't want to make this into a criticism of the bowl based strainers like the Foley. Hey, whatever works, but if you're thinking of plunking down $50 for something like the OXO then may as well plunk down an extra $10 and get some POWER!
Structure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2009   #20
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I love my BTB Strainer! My granddaughter (3) has helped me make aplesauce, tomato sauce, and pear sauce. I am very happy I bought it!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote