Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 9, 2012   #46
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighGuy View Post
I just contributed them to the seed website I obtained them from.

Right now you tomatovillian's are the only ones that know about the website.

Because I'm a local business, and not selling seeds, I doubt that I'm really causing any trouble and I'm a customer of all the places I took pictures from. This way I'm documenting exactly what I purchased and will be growing....

Once I start having my own tomato's I'll take some pictures and update the website accordingly.

My Avatar here on this website is from a tomato that I just harvested from my south facing window.
Jeremy,

Using photos from other websites without getting permission and giving due credit is not justifiable, and, it is illegal.

I am surprised how casually you steal photos - there is a copyright statement on the pages you are stealing from. Photos are considered content.

Also, you are using Brad's descriptions (content) verbatim, while representing them as your own. (e.g. Large Barred Boar, Berkeley Tie-Dye).

Sometimes keeping your reputation is inconvenient.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2012   #47
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Jeremy - Is your "Strawberry Tomato" from Johnnys actually Tomatoberry Garden, a hybrid?
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2012   #48
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

Steve, I see your point, but... Best not to belabor it too much right now, I think, vis-a-vis a brand new website that obviously will need a lot of tinkering, and will no doubt get it-- especially when Jeremy hasn't made a single dime out of his operations yet, and is obviously making an effort to make sure his seed suppliers get some free advertising from Day One. I'd never even heard of appalachianseeds.com until Jeremy brought them to my attention. Now I have their home page bookmarked.

I propose not jumping to conclusions about Jeremy's reputation until he's had enough time to earn one.
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2012   #49
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I propose not jumping to conclusions about Jeremy's reputation until he's had enough time to earn one.[/QUOTE]

I propose following the law as a way to insure earning a good reputation.

Linda
Old March 9, 2012   #50
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius_II View Post
Steve, I see your point, but...
Petronius, with respect, I don't think you DO see my point. Photos on commercial websites have real value - they have been paid for - either in time [is money], or in outright money. Stealing photos is no different than stealing anything else of value. (just a lot easier) Just because Jeremy has not made a dime doesn't give him the right to cut corners riding on the backs of other's efforts. (None of us had 'made a dime' when we posted our first website photos.) The owners of the photos may indeed be happy to give Jeremy permission to use the photos - I suggest he ask them. There are also stock sites where you can purchase photos rather cheaply.

Steve
Old March 9, 2012   #51
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

I've said about all I have to say on the subject in this forum for the time being. I just have a certain attitude towards legalities and legalisms that... hey, it would take pages and pages to lay it out in sufficient detail to satisfy me, so I don't propose to try.

I just happen to think among other things that the use of the emotional-hot-button word "stealing" is a tad uncalled-for at the present moment. "Stealing" implies a degree of intent that I'm about 99% sure Jeremy doesn't happen to have.

Tomatoville has its own reputation to be concerned about, and I'd hate to see "snobby elitist academicians" become a permanent part of that reputation, either. If you know what I mean. It's already become a temporary part of such reputation as Tomatoville actually has at the moment.

EDITED TO ADD: If you want to "debate" what I just wrote, please address it to the empty chair I'm leaving behind me as I exit this thread, hopefully never to return except as a lurker.

Last edited by Petronius_II; March 9, 2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: addendum as noted.
Old March 9, 2012   #52
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

WEll, thats one way to (try to) get the last word in. "Hopefully never to return except as a lurker" We can always hope.
Old March 9, 2012   #53
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Petronius,

You might be right (and probably are) about Jeremy's intent. My strong feelings about "stolen" photos should probably have been expressed/directed in a more general thread, and not directly at Jeremy.

Steve
Old March 9, 2012   #54
MileHighGuy
Tomatovillian™

I'm not stealing anything. I'm not as concerned with the law, as I am concerned with the actual business's that I got the photo's from. I don't sell any seeds and if someone wants to visit the website where I have purchased my seeds from, you will see the same photos and descriptions available there. I'm not representing my images as mine, but as theirs. And again.... The website will have lots more work to do before it goes public.

I've called Brad to make sure he's cool with my use of his photos. I'm not stealing his description as my own... I'm Growing BRAD's Tomatoes. I credit his business and I would find it offensive to change the description for a tomato that I have not grown yet personally.

Some of these I have grown, but not all.

Now, as far as stealing, that is hilarious, and while I appreciate the input, I'll take care of my legal issues... I'm not here for that type of advice, I'm here to for Tomato growing advice.

For those that are overly concerned with the legal well being of my business and my So-called reputation, I'll be contacting all of these websites and very Easily obtaining permission to use the images until I can take my own photos. And thanks for thinking of me!!!

Make sure you don't speed on the highway today, you'll be breaking the law!
MileHighGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2012   #55
MileHighGuy
Tomatovillian™

UPDATE:

Every Seed company that I asked practically laughed and said that they would LOVE me to use the images and that is what they are for.

They just asked that I share where I purchased my seeds.

All is well.
Old March 9, 2012   #56
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

And just when you were being so gracious Steve....LOL
Old March 9, 2012   #57
MileHighGuy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Petronius,

You might be right (and probably are) about Jeremy's intent. My strong feelings about "stolen" photos should probably have been expressed/directed in a more general thread, and not directly at Jeremy.

Steve
Thank you for this comment. I was upset for a minute that anyone would think I was trying to personally gain on the backs of other tomato farmers.

I just don't want to misrepresent what I will be growing and my local customers are going to want to see what I'm growing and what it will look like.
Old March 9, 2012   #58
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighGuy View Post
Thank you for this comment. I was upset for a minute that anyone would think I was trying to personally gain on the backs of other tomato farmers.

I just don't want to misrepresent what I will be growing and my local customers are going to want to see what I'm growing and what it will look like.
Jeremy,

Let's just blame the last page of this thread on the ongoing Solar Flare. Good luck with your project, you have an admirable energy.

Steve
Old March 9, 2012   #59
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
WEll, thats one way to (try to) get the last word in. "Hopefully never to return except as a lurker" We can always hope.
***giggles and snickers***

Old March 9, 2012   #60
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default wicking beds

hey rockporter

I recently read about wicking bed systems in a book about organic gardening that i bought when i was visiting my sister in maine. I was considering trying a small one in a little square of my garden. Let me know how it works out for you. If I end up doing it, I will let you know how it worked for me as well.

Jennifer
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote