Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 13, 2018   #1
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default 2019 Catalogs

1st ones arrived today. High Mowing & Pinetree.

MikeInCypress
Old November 13, 2018   #2
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I have only gotten Dixondale Farms and that was a couple weeks ago.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2018   #3
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

I’m still waiting up here!! I’m about dying!
Old November 14, 2018   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I gave up on seed catalogs sent to me every year and here's why.

Most of what they offer I already know about and what I want are NEW varieties that are, well NEW. For seed offers and SSE listings when I was doing that.

There are some wonderful sources here at Tville, some commercial companies and some here who are breeding new ones.

So why not support them?

And several of us source new ones from folks in MANY countries,usually a trade situation,but not always.

That's my opinion, take it or leave it..isn't there a song about that,I know there is but I can't think of the title right now, WAIT,I think it's called My Way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2hYDIFDIU

Carolyn
Old November 14, 2018   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

An update.

When the mail came today there was a Pinetree catalog, and yes,I am glad that it came.

That's b/c I had made some suggestions, such as the fact that there is no such variety as German Orange Strawberry. Yes there is a German Red Strawberry, but and yes there is an Orange Strawberry which was found in a commercial pack of the tomato variety Pineapple.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Orange_Strawberry

I think it was maybe 2-3 years ago when the original owner retired and it was his daughter and her DH who took over. IMO they have done a terrific job of reorganizing the catalog as well.

No more listing of Pruden's Purple claimed to be an earlier version of Brandywine. Currently they list the Brandywine they offer as I think the Quisenberry/Sudduth one which is correct.

For many years the variety Opalka was listed as Olapka,and he refused to change it. I remember that very well since others saw the wrong spelling and asked me to ask him to change it.I did,he refused.That got me annoyed since when my Heirloom Tomato book was published I was asked to give a list of individuals to whom they would send a free copy. He had that book and still spelled it Olapka in the catalog also online,etc.

Before I came to Tville just now I checked the weather, an Alert for X amount of snow starting tomorrow AM. I checked the radar for both Intellicast and Accuweather, and I'm telling you I have to wear these cheap glasses for reading and here at the computer and I see nothing whatsoever as to any snow.

ah well,what will happen,or not will soon be revealed.

Carolyn,who loves Pinetree; who needs 30 seeds/pack for $$ when you can get 15 seeds for much less and then save your own seeds,unless you think that the F1 varieties they list actually do have the traits listed. I don't.