Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 20, 2015   #1
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Prince Progression Pics

Black Prince is my first larger (non-cherry) tomato to blush color. Here are a few pics...

Planted to permanent container on March 17, 2015. A Bonnie's transplant.

April 2, 2015

Black Prince - 4 2 2015.jpg

April 15, 2015

Black Prince - 4 15 2015.jpg

May 20, 2015

Black Prince - 5 20 2015 - First Blush.JPG
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #2
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing that variety too, it's been a little slow for me compared to other blacks.
A nice looking truss indeed. Cheers.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #3
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I'm growing that variety too, it's been a little slow for me compared to other blacks.
A nice looking truss indeed. Cheers.
Thanks!

Don't want to be misleading. The plant has been reasonably healthy, but slow to develop. There are 10 tomatoes set. 8 early and 2 recently.

I am hoping it will be a slow and steady producer for a few months and am interested to see how it handles the mid 90s I know are coming in July and after.

First time to grow it and I will save seeds since it has at least produced for me.
Old June 8, 2015   #4
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I have now harvested and eaten 6 Black Prince tomatoes from this plant.

To my taste buds this is an excellent tasting tomato. A really nice combination of sweetness and acidity that tastes especially good on a traditional Southern tomato sandwich (white bread, mayo, salt and pepper and bacon if you got it).

The plant has been a slow, but steady grower that remains healthy and has recently put on more fruit with the typical Mississippi June weather settling in. It has 15 fruits on it now and they have been averaging a little over 3 ounces each with a range of 2.25 to 4.5 ounces.

I am going to save some seeds from the next few I harvest and will definitely grow this again. A bonus which offsets its small size it that it is early, coming in a full week before Early Girl set out the same day (and much better tasting).