Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old November 26, 2011   #31
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

New question: When you have really finely shredded leaves, is it beneficial to just bury them in the garden right now instead of waiting until spring? Would it help them break down faster? The stuff I shredded yesterday is finer than pine bark fines ...really fine consistency for the most part. I was thinking the worms and beneficials in the main garden could help break it down further so the bed is in better shape come Spring. Thoughts?

I still have a shredded leaf pile from the lawn mower, but it is pieces, not tiny shreds like this. That one won't be ready any time soon (I think)
Old November 26, 2011   #32
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Many people have posted that putting leaves in the garden binds up nitrogen, but like you I have often had piles of finely shredded leaves which break down much more quickly than whole ones. If you put the shredded ones in the soil in the fall, I think they are pretty well decomposed by planting time. On the years I have done this it really helps with the soil structure. I haven't done it the last couple years and now my soil is getting very dense, so I will try it again this year.
Old November 26, 2011   #33
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
On the years I have done this it really helps with the soil structure. I haven't done it the last couple years and now my soil is getting very dense, so I will try it again this year.
Ditto, Mike. It only took about 2 years of NOT working in shredded leaves for my soil to become heavy and hard to work. So its back to the leaves worked in; hopefully the weather will cooperate today and let me finish up the last sections of the garden.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2011   #34
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I'd add them as a top-dressing/mulch now and then work into the top 4-6" come Spring.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2011   #35
dice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'd add them as a top-dressing/mulch now and then work into the top 4-6" come Spring.
This will probably help resist soil compaction from rain in winter and
spring. They will be full of earthworms all winter anyway.
Old November 27, 2011   #36
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

I have a earth machine had this for 1 years so far, Up north here it freeze hard. So i use a snow blower to get to it in Jan.Now, i put the bottom compost on the top ever week. The bottom is ready for the garden but if i get it out from the bottom and put it on the top, it will be ready in spring. No leaves for me, to the left on the ground i have been leaving some leaves on the ground, this is getting cooking compost slower . All around the earth machine is growing nice, so last year i put a plant in it. Nice
Attached Images
File Type: png earth_machine.png (56.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Splash3.jpg (35.1 KB, 13 views)
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote