Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 29, 2016   #16
rudylr
Tomatovillian™

I put in 4 rows of tomatoes in the RGGS this year. Three rows or gutters had white 5 gal. pails and one row I used laundry baskets with large holes in the sides. I used burlap bags in the baskets and let them drape over and down the sides of the basket. Big difference in plant size and production. They are 7 gal. and the air pruning and maybe a cooler soil made the difference. I will probably do all 4 rows this way next year.
rudylr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #17
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudylr View Post
I put in 4 rows of tomatoes in the RGGS this year. Three rows or gutters had white 5 gal. pails and one row I used laundry baskets with large holes in the sides. I used burlap bags in the baskets and let them drape over and down the sides of the basket. Big difference in plant size and production. They are 7 gal. and the air pruning and maybe a cooler soil made the difference. I will probably do all 4 rows this way next year.
Hi rudylr. Thanks for the recommendation. I would love to be able to air prune here.
However, due to our continuous extreme heat in the summer of 105-115 degrees for a solid three months, I fear water will evaporate inside in minutes.

An example, I use this bug wand spray hose that sprays in every direction so you can get under leaves. It works great, but they say you should wear a rain coat when you use it. I just go out there in my regular clothes and when I am done I look like someone poured three buckets of water over me.

However, I don't mind as it cools me off and when I'm finished I just sit on my patio for about three minutes and I'm dry as a bone. We have practically no humidity here, so everything dries out in a flash. I think the lack of humidity here is a big factor.

I have often thought of trying it just for the heck of it (one container) which I probably should do just to satisfy myself.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #18
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I accompanied a fellow out to a rally in Terlingua. He was a HVAC engineer on the Cherokee nukeplant in SC and had come out to work at Comanche Peak. His intro to the desert was, shall we say, stunning. "This is like the surface of the f*g moon!"

He started asking me why people set boxes on top of their houses. Although I described evaporative A/C, he simply refused to believe that it could work. I've lived in the desert; I know you can freeze yourself out of the house with an EAC unit. I wonder that they do teach at HVAC school?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote