Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old July 9, 2009   #1
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

Default Jungseed heirloom tomatoes

It's been a long time since I've posted anything but I thought this might interest you. My seeds had been in storage for 4 months so I did not know if they were any good at all. I found this web site where they have a Rainbow Heirloom tomato mix, 1 packet come with about 40 seeds, the mixture contains 8.33% of the following: Amish paste, Aunt Ruby's german Green, Black Brandywine, German Johnson, Giant Oxheart, Mortgage Lifter, Orange Strawberry, Pinneaple, Red Brandywine, Watermelon Beefsteak, White wonder, and yellow brandywine. Price is $1.95 for the pack of seeds. I think this is a great deal, considering the different varieties the packet has, the only drawback is that all the seeds are in the same packet, they are not divided at all so you don't know what you have planted until you get the fruit.
jardinlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #2
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

A very good price considering the tomatoes you listed !!!!!!!!!!! consider it a game, I bet you identify all of the varities.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #3
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

Yes that's exactly what I though. I am planting some Lumpy red, kellogs breakfast and sungold this year, I actually just started my seedlings about 3 weeks ago so it will problably be in the ground about Sep time frame, I really did not know if my seeds that I have been collecting for so long were still good so I panicked and decided to buy more seeds LOL! Some of my seed packages I have like my Matt's wild cherry and my Matina did not come out at all, and I planted about 10 seeds of each just to give it a fair chance. My Lumpy Red had about 50% germination rate, but I ended up using all my seeds so I am really praying hard that the few plants I am growing will produce so I can save seeds. I am very excited about the package that I got from Jung seed and there is a lot of varieties in the package that I wanted to grow.
Old July 10, 2009   #4
macondla
Tomatovillian™

I am new to T'ville, and have grown plants in the past. Not saying I am a gardener, yet... Have had volunteer plants come up the next year that were naturally cherry sized tomatoes. I have never saved seed from one year for the next. I do know that I don't want to save hybrid tomatoe seeds. So, how do I save seed and have them viable for the next years planting?

Thanks so much for sharing.
Barbara in Tennessee ;- )
macondla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #5
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

I am probably the wrong person to ask about this question but I do believe there are many references on saving seed in here,or you can just google it on the internet as well. I have not saved any seeds from any vegetable just yet since I have not had any vegetables to collect seeds from, but I am hoping that I will in the future. There is a good book you can get that shows you different methods of collecting vegetable seeds I highly recommend it if you want to start saving vegetable seeds it is called "seed to seed" you can find it in amazon. Hope this helps
Old July 11, 2009   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Barbara, below is a link to a procedure I wrote and photographed that shows the basic steps to saving tomato seeds using the fermentation method. The procedure answers a lot of beginner's questions. When you get started saving, you might do some of the things differently, and that's okay. Everybody seems to do their seed saving slightly different.

Just remember that the primary objective is to remove the "gel" surrounding the seeds and then dry them for storage. So, check it out. If you still have specific questions after that, then ask away. That's what we do here.

Ted

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/A_Beginner%E2%80%99s_Guide_To_Saving_Tomato_Seeds_ Using_Fermentation
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2009   #7
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to T'ville barbara, you have come to the right place for knowledge. There is someone here that has information to share on anything you need. I've been a member since Dec. 08 and it is amazing how much I have learned from tomatovillians, I'm still not an expert but I am working on it. Ted has listed a good site but there is a less time consuming method listed here also. Just do a search. I don't know if one is better than the other or not. I have used the shorter method d/t time, haven't planted any of my saved seed yet.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2009   #8
macondla
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks to all three of you...

I have checked out the site Ted has listed, have plans to check out the book Seed to Seed and will read/investigate any hints or advice given.

My first tomato is finally ripening. I have figured out that I goofed up when I make notes of which type of plants I put where. With six kinds of tomatoes out there I will just have to see the fruit before I know.

I want to save seed because most of where the plants went in this year will be flowers next year. I don't expect volunteers there because I will be amending the ground by trying my hand at lasagna gardening. I also am going to lasagna garden where I am moving my T's to.

Thanks to Veggie Babe, Container Ted and Jarden Lady

Barbara in Middle Tennessee
or
macondla..... there are sooo many Barbara's and only ONE macondla!
macondla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2009   #9
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

Not a problem! Thank you so much Ted for showing us how to ferment the tomato seeds, it was very instructional and very well laid out. I am so happy for having found this web site. I am also trying the lassagne method, I have 2 big growbeds to fill up, and I have already placed some cardboard in the bottom, I am planing on putting cow manure, grass clippings, peat moss, muchroom compost, organic compost. I was going to get some straw but I think I'll pass for now. Happy gardening,