Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 4, 2009   #31
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherB View Post
HEB Plus in Kyle TX, just south of Austin is selling their tomato plants for $0.50 each. They have the usual hybrids plus a bunch of heirlooms including black krim, cherokee purple, brandywine and others. They even have JD Special C-Tex, which I have not been able to find anywhere else.

I think they are trying to get rid of them as it is a bit late to be planting right now in Central Texas.
It's about 7 weeks too late.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009   #32
gallaure
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
It's about 7 weeks too late.

I'm starting to worry here about that. I'm in zone 10 SoCal, and just finishing my plant-out. My seedlings are still smallish (12-14", then planted deep), and I'm starting to think that I really SHOULD have planted out in February! At least they would have some height by now!
gallaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009   #33
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

gallure,

Run with what you have and learn for next year. The weather in Texas is a lot different from Southern California. Best of luck.
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009   #34
gallaure
Tomatovillian™

At the Santa Monica farmer's market yesterday, several vendors were offering tomato plants.

One guy had them for $3 in short 4-5" pots. He had pineapple, san marzano redorta, some sungolds, and a few others. He had some $8 1-gallon sizes.

Another crew had them for $4-5 each, all heirlooms. I saw long tom and aunt ginny's purple specifically.

Tomatoes that were ripe and available for sale ranged from $3-6 a pound. Some were lemon boys, persimmons, black krims. There were some unlabeled "ugly" striped heirloom with lots of lobes and splits at about $5/pound.

I'm going to go back next week for a long tom... because 24 varieties in my tiny place just isn't enough...
Old May 14, 2009   #35
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Went to Wally World for some MG mix and saw the Bonnie delivery truck at Lowes. I couldn't resist looking.

They put in some smaller tomato plants in 9 cell packs for $2.98 each. There were only 3 varieties, Rutgers, Goliath, and Better Boy. The little plants were about 3 to 4 inches tall, but 9 plants for 3 bucks may end up being the sale of the year.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009   #36
gallaure
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I forgot to post that in Fayetteville, GA, at the little local farm in town, tomatoes in 4" pots were going for $1.25. They were about 20" tall, though!

Rutgers and brandywine were about all that was left.
Old May 16, 2009   #37
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

4 Brandywines in a 4-cell for $1 this morning at the local farm market. Larger ones are $1 each, about 10"-12" tall.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009   #38
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

I just got back from a run to my local Kroger. On May 30, 2009 they had one gallon containers of Patio tomatoes for $7.99 each. Four to six weeks of production is all the time left for this part of Houston. Planting now is only a wish and a prayer.
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009   #39
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Tomato Plant Prices

I volunteer at Thieneman's Nursery here in Louisville. This is my 9th year assisting them in variety selections, germination, spending time on the first two sale days generally the Friday/Saturday before Derby(first Saturday in May). We offered 150 Tomato varieties, most of which were heirloom. 40 varieties were Kentucky Heirlooms and there were a few Hybrids which had been requested by several gardeners. The price for any of those varieties was $1.49; I think it was a very good bargain. Many of the Kentucky varieties were very limited in number.
We have had faithful growers returning each year and that is my satisfaction of hearing about their success and suggesting someting new they might grow and enjoy!
Gary

Thieneman's Nursery
http://www.thienemans.com/CCorner/
Old May 31, 2009   #40
travis
Tomatovillian™

A buck fifty is unbelievably reasonable. Dang near a give-a-way. Way to go Theineman's and VGary!
travis is offline   Reply With Quote