Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 25, 2015   #1
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Default Economical but effective fertilizers?

I'm trying to decide on the most cost effective (commercial) fertilizer.At some point,I would like to be able to do compost and some vermiculture..and rabbits for "green fertilizers",but in the meantime,does anyone have any inexpensive options for fertilizers?I looked at Neptunes Harvest,as I have heard from various sources that they have a worthy product.I figured on a gallon @ $48.50 that makes 128 gallons.That's like $.38 a gallon.

I also looked at Gen Hydro Maxibloom dry fertilizer.The 2.2lb is approx $14.99 or so on the web,and will make 200 gals at a tsp per gallon.That is $.07 a gallon.That will probably be the way I go,at least for now.I also have a 4lb tub of Jacks 20-20-20 that I can use for vegetative growth,and then go to Maxibloom for fruiting.

The only thing that I am reluctant about,is using dry ferts that are Urea based for the nitrogen.I live in a fairly humid climate,and have a hard time keeping dry fertilizer from drawing moisture and turning to liquid.

Any thoughts/observations/recommendations?

I soiled my plants.

Last edited by Tropicalgrower; August 25, 2015 at 12:25 AM.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2015   #2
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Just a little reply.I live in South Carolina, always hot and humid during summer.I have to keep all of my fertilizers in an airtight container.Lows has 5 gal. buckets with snap on tops, they work.Not very expensive and last forever.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2015   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

If You Are not looking for just ORGANIC type I can recommend some economical ones that I am/have been using:

1) MG blue water soluble 24-8-16) : It is the most cost effective. A 5 lbs can caost about 10 bucks ( $2 per lbs)
2) MG Liquid ; (12-4-8). Not as economical as above , but it is convenient to use. Cost about $7 per quart ( 32 oz)
3) Alaska MOREBLOOM : (0 - 10- 10) costs under $5 for a quart (32 oz).

I blend the (2) and (3) (50/50) to reduce N ratio and increase P and K, for tomatoes in flowering and fruiting stage. The end result of ratios is: 6 - 7 - 9;

So you get 1/2 gallon for about $12. Use about 1 TBS per gallon of water

That is like 10 cents for a gallon.
Pretty good mix for tomatoes.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2015   #4
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9748 View Post
Just a little reply.I live in South Carolina, always hot and humid during summer.I have to keep all of my fertilizers in an airtight container.Lows has 5 gal. buckets with snap on tops, they work.Not very expensive and last forever.
I appreciate the idea Rick.

After I open a bag,I empty it into a Mayo jar.Within a week,there will be liquid in the bottom of the jar.I wonder about putting it into ziplock bags,maybe a cup in each baggie,and then dropping them in the freezer.Buckets are harder to come by here in the Philippines,and every bucket I do have will have a plant in it here before too long. There might be other containers I could use tho.Maybe if I were to store it in the house where the humidity is a tad lower...but I do wonder about storing it in the freezer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
If You Are not looking for just ORGANIC type I can recommend some economical ones that I am/have been using:

1) MG blue water soluble 24-8-16) : It is the most cost effective. A 5 lbs can caost about 10 bucks ( $2 per lbs)
2) MG Liquid ; (12-4-8). Not as economical as above , but it is convenient to use. Cost about $7 per quart ( 32 oz)
3) Alaska MOREBLOOM : (0 - 10- 10) costs under $5 for a quart (32 oz).

I blend the (2) and (3) (50/50) to reduce N ratio and increase P and K, for tomatoes in flowering and fruiting stage. The end result of ratios is: 6 - 7 - 9;

So you get 1/2 gallon for about $12. Use about 1 TBS per gallon of water

That is like 10 cents for a gallon.
Pretty good mix for tomatoes.
That is quite a good idea Gardeneer.

The only hitch,is that whatever I get has to be shipped to me.My Sis sends stuff here on occasion,but she would be petrified that it might start leaking in transit...especially the fish fertilizer. If she had room in the next shipment tho,she might be able to double bag it in those large ziplock bags.I'll have to ask her if she thinks there might be room...and if she feels brave.Lol

I do know tho,that if the Morbloom did leak,that it would be bad..very very bad.

I have about 3 of the 5lb MG in the garage.I could probably dilute to the same level as the liquid,and go from there.
Old August 26, 2015   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

In Europe cheapest is probably big bags of dry inorganic fertilizer, usually 10-25 kg (yara, haifa, others).
For example this sounds good for tomatoes after fruitset, complete with microelements and Mg(you can add some calcium nitrate separately if needed):
http://www.marcoser.ro/produse/ingra...-14-14-28.html
The price is 70 usd, weight 55 lbs, so 1.3$ per lbs. And quality should be as good as General Hydroponics.
To keep it better in moist conditions, put the bulk of it in a tight container, and some in a smaller (enough for a year, or whatever). This way you only rarely open the big one, so no moisture can get in.

Last edited by zipcode; August 26, 2015 at 04:31 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #6
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the suggestion zipcode.My only thought would be that the shipping would add to the expense,making an economical fertilizer more expensive.
I'm inclined to try what Gardeneer suggested.I already have MG all purpose,so I could just have the Morbloom shipped with all my other goods.

Also a good thought on just leaving out what I will need for a specific period of time,thereby limiting the exposure to the elements.I could also maybe keep a place in the house for it where it isn't quite so humid.Don't tell my wife tho,she thinks it should be outdoors with all the other garden supplies.
Old August 26, 2015   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I didn't realize you are in SE Asia. In the States we can find them in the stores everywhere.

MG Blue ( 24- 8 - 16) is in solid form but it is readily water soluble. Then you can also buy powdered Bone Meal to supplement for additional Phosphorus.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #8
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

The extreme answer is pee...Human Pee. My soils teacher calls his compost "Franick's Gold", because of it. He composts it and urine is sterile; you can't get E.coli etc... from it. 1:8 mix with water, then into the compost pile... if you were curious.

I have 1 rabbit and 4 chickens....they provide enough for my garden. I have a garden that feeds 3 families, though I do have to save it all year. I use it in my final pot ups and then again in the garden when planting out.

Last edited by Lorri D; August 26, 2015 at 01:09 PM.
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #9
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful, beautiful garden, you are doing it right.As you say, don't throw away the liquid gold.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #10
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

Lol, my fertilizer is my chickens/rabbit manure and covercrop. If I did the pee, I probably would only be raising food for my family and not others. People are really scared of such things. I think it is good to know about and have in your back-pocket.

According to my teacher, you have to be mindful of any prescriptions you are taking and watch for salt buildup. Back off or dilute it more if need be.

Last edited by Lorri D; August 26, 2015 at 02:28 PM.
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #11
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorri D View Post
The extreme answer is pee...
Looks like I'm going to have to start drinking more coffee...and beer.

I gotta tell ya Lorrie...those pics are beautiful..Looks like you are doing it right for sure!Feel free to post more,I need the inspiration.LOL Thanks for posting those,and the tip on organic fertilizer.<smile>

I probably need to get a rabbit..or 2 as well,but all things in good time.

Trop.
Old August 26, 2015   #12
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I didn't realize you are in SE Asia. In the States we can find them in the stores everywhere.

MG Blue ( 24- 8 - 16) is in solid form but it is readily water soluble. Then you can also buy powdered Bone Meal to supplement for additional Phosphorus.

Gardeneer
No prob Gardeneer.I really should go have another look at what is offered here as far as fertilizer is concerned.I looked at one of the countries largest garden store when I was in Manila a couple years back.I was shocked at how little choice there was.That is why I try to get stuff sent here.

Trop
Old August 26, 2015   #13
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Lorri - your garden is so beautiful - so lush!

The Dyna-Gro products are good and very cost effective. They come in quart size and only use 1 tsp per gallon of water. So a quart makes 192 gallons.

I had previously calculated an entire workup of these liquid fertilizer costs using the recommended dosage. Some brands you alternate within their products (so have more up front cost) but does not affect price per gallon. With Fox Farm products you alternate however use their BigBloom product all the time.

TTF/Veg
Dyna-Gro (Foliage Pro, Dyna-Gro, and Bloom) ,
Fox Farm, (BigBloom, GrowBig, TigerBloom)
Flora Nova (Grow and Bloom)
Neptune's Harvest - fish and seaweed

Here are the costs per gallon:

Dyna-Gro - $.09

TTF/Veg $.16

Fox Farm - $.23

Flora-Nova products : $.09

Neptunes Harvest - Fish and Seedweed: $.37
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2015   #14
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Price per diluted gallon is imo a wrong way to look at it. I mean, you can put as much or little as you want.
Like, dynagro says their 7-9-5, 1 gallon makes 400 gallons, and ttf 4-3-7 makes 256.
Which makes you wonder, what are they relating to when they make these dilution ratios. Seems like total N. I'm willing to bet the ttf will give you more production per original gallon the the dynagro, for tomatoes at least, and it's cheaper.
You need to compare per weight to the total element that interest you, in this case K primarily.
I personally haven't seen any liquid ferts that are cost effective compared to dry ones, they are usually made for the convenience of the the home grower, and that comes at a price.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2015   #15
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

One 25 lb bag of hydro gardens tomato blend 4-18-38, does over 2700 gallons of water for 56.00, but you have to add Magnesium, and calcium nitrate, both are under 30.00 for 50lb bags. One gallon of flora nova does 500 gallons for the same price.
These numbers are about 40 percent stronger of a mix than recommended, it is just where it fell, my plants look best at these mix rates.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote