Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 2, 2014   #16
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

http://www.rodalenews.com/tomato-problems

Here is a comparison of various diseases, but I still don't know what I have.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
OK. So can you report back on your findings? I have to wonder how many have false diagnoses and pull when not really necessary. Such a waste!
I agree.

The disease most confused with LB is Grey Mold.

The earliest symptoms for LB is the bending down of the petioles before any lesions appear anywhere.

Fuzzy mold spores take much longer to appear than overnight.

And I don't know of anyone anywhere whose tomatoes get LB EVERY year. The incidence of LB as spread via wind and embedded in raindrops varies,depending on the incidence of LB or the two common foliage pathogens Early Blight and Septoria Leaf Spot.

LB can survive only in living tissue so it doesn't over winter where plants freeze/

And for me that's in potato cull piles in WNYS and yes, the spores can travel several hundreds of miles.

Carolyn
Old September 2, 2014   #18
clara
Tomatovillian™

This year, I lost about 90% of my plants due to LB and mostly BEFORE I could pick one single ripe fruit, sigh... None of the growers in my region is without it this year. But I shouldn't complain: It's the first time after 7 or 8 years that this pest occurs. And if I get none in the coming 7 or 8 years, I'd be more than happy!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #19
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your input Carolyn,

Yes we have Septoria and Early Blight in abundance, and I get those every year, but have never had LB before.

My friend is an experienced gardener, so I will quiz her further about her "every year" comment.

I'd have thought that, since the leaves are already brown, that the mold spores ought to be visible on them in damp conditions. I will check for bending petioles just as soon as I Google and find out what exactly petioles are.

Apparently, LB CAN survive in Bittersweet Nightshade, which is a perennial and grows here in abundance! I will have to be more diligent in removing that from my property in the future, but hearing that LB can be blown in on the wind is very disheartening!

Linda
Old September 2, 2014   #20
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Poor Clara!

No ripe fruit at all? Guess I really shouldn't complain as my tomato patch has been very fruitful this year.

I really hope that you won't get LB again for a VERY long time!

Linda
Old September 2, 2014   #21
clara
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Linda, that's what I am hoping for!

After that much work, you WANT a reward in form of nice tomatoes...
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...evid=878780216

Above a Google search for LB and alternative hosts.

Please read the first Cornell link,and look at the first picture which shows a petiole bending down. The petiole is the small stem that has the blossoms.

If you read several of the links you'll find that yes, LB can infect certain nightshades,petunias.etc.,but those die and the only real threat in our area of the country are potato cull piles,which I mentioned above and are discussed in that first link as well.

Carolyn
Old September 3, 2014   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Whether it is LB or gray mold it will help to spray with the dilute bleach spray immediately. I have gray mold every year on some varieties particularly black varieties but only occasionally get LB and I treat them the same way except with LB I am much more aggressive with the amount and frequency of spraying with the dilute bleach. The most obvious difference I have noticed with the two diseases is that gray mold starts usually lower down on the plant and moves up while LB tends to hit higher on the plant and affects new growth much faster. LB also spreads so much faster. I have definitely had stem lesions with gray mold and fruit destroyed by it but I never saw the white mold under the leaves like with LB nor does gray mold destroy a whole plant very quickly though it can spread fairly fast if it stays damp with cool nights. I have a JD's Special C Tex in the garden right now that is still alive and still has gray mold killing off some of the leaves despite the fact that it started on the plant in late May. I spray it with the dilute bleach spray every week or so to slow it down and the extremely dry weather I have had has also kept it from spreading so fast. Had I had frequent rains I doubt I could have kept it alive and producing for nearly so long.

I hope what you have is gray mold because you have a good chance of most of your plants surviving if you treat them quickly and it hasn't spread too much.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2014   #24
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Many thanks for the link about the petiole.

WRT Nightshade , the following link shows that Nightshade IS a perennial in our area. It spreads by rhyzomes as well as by seed!

www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/.../ontweeds/climbing_nightshade.htm

Although I don't think I have any growing in my veggie garden, it grows elsewhere on our property, and could possibly even have survived in the aged manure that came from the farm next door!

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...evid=878780216

Above a Google search for LB and alternative hosts.

Please read the first Cornell link,and look at the first picture which shows a petiole bending down. The petiole is the small stem that has the blossoms.

If you read several of the links you'll find that yes, LB can infect certain nightshades,petunias.etc.,but those die and the only real threat in our area of the country are potato cull piles,which I mentioned above and are discussed in that first link as well.

Carolyn
Old September 3, 2014   #25
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Lindalena, I wonder if you've caught it early if it only shows on the leaves?

Thanks folks. I realize that my tomato patch is doomed and am going out there today to pick what I can and trash the rest.......

Linda
Very sad. So sorry.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2014   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Now I have it, it happened 3 days ago I started feeling bad and yesterday it hit hard.
Head hurts eyeballs hurt with a runny nose and sneezing.
It is almost 100 outside I stay in the dark in the coolness of the house and have run out of coffee and I dont give a hoot.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2014   #27
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh no Worth! You have Late Blight? How awful!

Take care now and I hope that you will feel better soon.

Linda
Old September 3, 2014   #28
salix
Tomatovillian™

Gee Worth, sorry to hear that - you might want to try the diluted bleach spray, or a milk spray. Try a little dab of Daconil behind the ears. If that doesn't help, maybe strip off all the lower leaves...

Seriously, keep hydrated and lots of rest! Hope you get over it very soon.
Old September 3, 2014   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
If that doesn't help, maybe strip off all the lower leaves...

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2014   #30
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I reported LB (with a picture) to the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and was informed that it's widespread across Southern Ontario.

Linda