Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old June 12, 2018   #841
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Tania, thanks for all your wonderful work and support to the tomatoville community. All the best to you and your family!
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #842
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I admire what you have done-your passion and the lengths you have gone to further tomatoes. I have looked up many a tomato on your website and your carefully organized info has been invaluable. Thank you and may you enjoy your change.
Heide
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #843
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much folks, you are so wonderful.

I will write more when the things settle down. It has been crazy busy here.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #844
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Tania, Bittersweet news. I will miss you at the Seedy Saturdays and all that you have done for us tomato lovers. Best wishes to you and Stan.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #845
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Completely understandable as it takes an INCREDIBLE amount of time selling tomato seeds.
I have nothing but respect for what you have accomplished in the heirloom tomato world.
Enjoy retirement.....you more than deserve it. Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #846
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Tania, whatever direction you choose, just know that you have left your mark on the tomato seed business for both integrity and honesty, and incredible service. So many of my tomatoes were ordered from you and you have always answered emails when I had questions.

We will miss you but hope you will still check in from time to time on TV with your knowledge and advice. Your “hobby” as you called it - is a huge undertaking with so much responsibility - so good for you for making the decision to step away from it. Enjoy your retirement. And your chickens too!

All of us at TV will be following your decision. Now I really have to start saving more seeds! You have done thousands - I only save a few and it’s work!

Bless you and Stan and thank you for all you’ve done for us!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #847
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Oh my my ! …..

how my " hobby" was dependent on there being a Tatiana's website and dependable seeds …

Most likely I will have to get more serious about seed saving and organization for the private stock ….

The question remains.... Where will we ever get such comprehensive info. data site and stock of such hard to find varieties …. ????

I am hoping to make one last order then before …...for the Ark.

I wish you both a happy and healthy retirement .
Old June 24, 2018   #848
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Oh my my ! …..

how my " hobby" was dependent on there being a Tatiana's website and dependable seeds …

Most likely I will have to get more serious about seed saving and organization for the private stock ….

The question remains.... Where will we ever get such comprehensive info. data site and stock of such hard to find varieties …. ????

I am hoping to make one last order then before …...for the Ark.

I wish you both a happy and healthy retirement .
I have 3 suggestions as to where you can buy a HUGE # of different varieties and here's the first

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39407

The second is Sandhill Preservation and here's a link to his new site

https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/vegetables

The third is to consider becoming an SSE member and getting the Annual Yearbook with thousands of listings of different varieties.

Without any explanations on my part if it were me I'd consider either Dale Thurber's site,link above,or Sandhill, link also above, or both.

If you look in the plant and seed source Forum,you'll see other possible sources as well, but you said the MOST sources for rare varieties so that's what I went with, viz,your request.

Carolyn
Old June 25, 2018   #849
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Very long time since I was her but just popped in out of the blue and found your post.

Tania, the tomato world is going to miss you a great deal, your dedication to your seeds has been spectacular,there should be medals for folks like you.

I feel privileged to have met you a few times but since moving further away from you and without growing land my gardening hobby has gone very very small.

Good luck with your decision and your future plans whatever they may be

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018   #850
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

Tomatobase has been such an amazing help with excellent information for a newbie and a gold mine of keeper varieties for my little area. Just such a wonderful thing. Thanks just isn't enough.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018   #851
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I cannot access the Tomatobase any more
My browser doesn't let me, the text says that the security settings of that site aren't up to date...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018   #852
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I cannot access the Tomatobase any more
My browser doesn't let me, the text says that the security settings of that site aren't up to date...
Somewhere here at Tville Tania said they would be shutting down from June? to ?? since they had to have installed new servers.

Carolyn
Old June 30, 2018   #853
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I did see that. They were shut down until June 25th, and now with the new server, my browser doesn't allow me to access it anymore. :-(

Edit. Their Facebook page mentioned until June 30th, so maybe tomorrow I will be able to acces them... Hopefully.

Last edited by NarnianGarden; June 30, 2018 at 08:00 PM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018   #854
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Yes, I did see that. They were shut down until June 25th, and now with the new server, my browser doesn't allow me to access it anymore. :-(

Edit. Their Facebook page mentioned until June 30th, so maybe tomorrow I will be able to acces them... Hopefully.
Today is June 30th so I tried it again with no luck.

Maybe it's taking longer than expected. I do have her e-mail addy as well as her phone # but I'm just going to wait it out.

Carolyn
Old June 30, 2018   #855
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Tanja,
I wish you all the best and fully understand your retiring from the seed collecting and selling business. But like Carolyn I hope you will find a way to continue your amazing Database or at least get someone to take it over if necessary for it is a super valuable resource. Many of us use it more often than even ordering seeds. It helps me decide what to buy and whether I really want that variety. Whatever you decide you leave behind a wonderful legacy to the tomato world. Enjoy your next step!
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote