Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 14, 2012   #1
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Default How early can you pick?

The reason I ask, the neighbors have these swell horses, who have decided it would be great fun to chew on tomato plants they can reach of the fence.

Plants are big now, many over 6 feet. They can reach a good 3 to 4 feet in one side of this plot, and can soon wip out a row of about twenty plants now that they figured out how. Many plants have large fruit on them, but still green.

How early can I pick green ones?

Many are big heirlooms, and I want to save what I can off of that row before they get everything, which they will.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

You need a couple strands of wire and a fence charger!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012   #3
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

If they eat enough of them, the horses won't be a problem for long. Tomato leaves and stems are toxic to horses. You need a better barrier, both for the sake of the tomatoes and the horses.

As for when to pick, I've had the best luck when they just start to blush. Any earlier and mine just rotted. Here's a link on how to get some to ripen that was on a thread from last fall. It pertains to picking green tomatoes in the fall, but applies to your case. I think there's a thread for green tomato recipes under the recipe forum if you need to use them that way.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3435/

Last edited by DogsandDirt; May 14, 2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Additional information added
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote