Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 3, 2011   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default When can I start using Greenhouse?

Well I upgraded and bought a nicer portable greenhouse:

http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Gardene.../dp/B0037QGR6A

Got a good deal I think, I only paid $169 for it. Much better than the little one I used last year (already ripping), which is similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Gardman-R688-W...1840579&sr=1-3

I will set the greenhouse up on my deck, with one end up against the house - actually up against patio doors. The deck boards are probably a foot above the ground.

What I'm wondering is, when I can start putting plants in the greenhouse. During the day, and how much warmer it would stay in there at night (I don't mind bringing the plants in at night if necessary).

I have Swiss Chard, tomatoes, hot peppers, basil, and flower seedlings (black-eyed susan vine, nasturtium, cleome, cosmos). I know the basil does not want to be cold, I wouldn't put that out for a while (and it's too smal anyway).

I'm almost wondering about opening my patio door a little at night, and letting some of the heat from the house go into the greenhouse. Probably not the most energy efficient though haha. Also, especially if I do that, if I should put some sort of tarp or something down on the deck to act as a floor (slight gaps between the boards).

I'm in zone 5a.

Secondly, I'm wondering about putting a few tomato plants in their containers early, and putting last year's cheapie greenhouse over them in their place out in the garden - a heater isn't really an option, but I'm wondering if I could keep them warm enough at night that way. If so, how early.

Welcoming any thoughts....
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2011   #2
Midwesthiker
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering about that Gardman greenhouse, I saw it on Amazon and was considering buying it. Thanks for the mention of it being flimsy, the Amazon reviews seem good, but I was worried. I think I will keep looking.
Midwesthiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2011   #3
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure mine is that exact one, it's just very similar. But if you want something for more than a season or two, I'd suggest getting a sturdier one, if possible. I like mine, for what it is, and for the price - but I'm was putting duct tape on rips the first summer, hence why I went ahead and got the better one.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2011   #4
maf
Tomatovillian™

A tarp would be a good idea for a greenhouse on a deck, a sheet of plywood or something would be even better. Usually you can put tomatoes in an unheated grenhouse about 4-6 weeks before the safe outdoors planting out date but obviously it could vary some depending on local climate. I am in a different climate to you so cannot suggest a specific date, maybe someone local will chime in.

Failing that, could you set up the greenhouse(s), without plants at first, and leave a max/min thermometer in there on a cold night to see how low the temps get down to? And how much warmer than the outside temp they remain? Also daytime temps. Should give you some good info to help the decision.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2011   #5
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

A tarp on cold nights couldn't hurt. Also a drop light or kerosene lantern adds more heat than sometimes people give it credit for.
Old April 4, 2011   #6
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

I have the Garman one (second link) which I got for this spring's planting. The reviews said that they occasionally had ripping on the zipper, but that when they had trouble they contacted the company and they sent out a new tarp cover, free of charge. I have not encountered such ripping as of yet. It has been sturdy and serviceable, but I've only had it this spring.

I can let yall know how it holds up to the weather next year. I will be disassembling it soon and storing it until next winter, so mine may not wear as much as others' would.
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2011   #7
araskathryn
Tomatovillian™

I live in zone 5b and also have been wondering how soon I can take my little plants out to a greenhouse. I'm also wondering if I can have them over heat mats, plugged in at night, or if just having them protected from frost is good enough, as long as the temps don't get to 32 at night... Is it the frost and freezing temps that kill them, or just cold temps that kill them. Would cold temps stress the young plants too much?... I am interested in learning what anyone else has to say/contribute...
araskathryn is offline   Reply With Quote