Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 13, 2011   #16
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

Cool !!! Try it next time. I got seeds the other day that said to never us peat in peppers due to the moisture as well.

NorCal girl huh? We are in Humboldt County and I work in Trinity County.

Takes a lot of time to get the right varieties to grow here for tomatoes and peppers....let alone eggplant and okra...
333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #17
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

There are so many things that can go wrong when starting seeds. You may find something you missed in this article:
http://www.settfest.com/2010/06/starting-from-seed/

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #18
GoldenQueen
Tomatovillian™

333.okh, I'm originally from Sacramento.

Thank you Feldon30, I'll check that site out too. I really want to have a successful little tomato garden. It's so difficult to get good produce since our area ships everything out, then imports what we sell here. And I don't want to wait for the farmers market if I don't have to.
GoldenQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #19
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

An ex and good friend of mine lived in Modesto and said the same thing about all the goods going out and not staying and what they had was not the quality that went out.

NorCal is a tomato challenge especially with the constant winds we have in my town, but I am learning the potato leaf types are much stronger and tougher than the others.
Old March 15, 2011   #20
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

Same here with onions, they are grown for export(to asia), as the long season allows curing in the field, without much danger of dampness starting rot. What's in the stores doesn't last much more than a few weeks in normal room temperatures before it either sprouts or gets moldy.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #21
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

kinda sad you do not get the better produce...In Humboldt the only stuff we grow in quantity I do not use! LOL
Old March 21, 2011   #22
GoldenQueen
Tomatovillian™

it is sad that we ship out what we produce. I'm not too familiar with Humboldt, other than the U. What is they grow there in large qty?

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. I was too embarassed to ask my friend who had gotten me started in trying to grow my own tomatoes so I don't have to wait for the farmers market. This is my first time trying to grow tomatoes. With the different methods, I'm going to have to do a little experiment to see which works best.
Old March 21, 2011   #23
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenQueen View Post
it is sad that we ship out what we produce. I'm not too familiar with Humboldt, other than the U. What is they grow there in large qty?

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. I was too embarassed to ask my friend who had gotten me started in trying to grow my own tomatoes so I don't have to wait for the farmers market. This is my first time trying to grow tomatoes. With the different methods, I'm going to have to do a little experiment to see which works best.
ROFL!!! Humbolt = Marijuana
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #24
hill60
Tomatovillian™

The things we learn at Tomatoville I hadn't a clue.

Humbolt = Marijuana
hill60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #25
GoldenQueen
Tomatovillian™

lol... me either!
Old March 21, 2011   #26
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Okay, hill I understand... but GoldenQueen you live nearby! Hmmmm, can anyone guess what state I spent the first 18 years of my life in?
Old March 21, 2011   #27
GoldenQueen
Tomatovillian™

lol.. Shlacm, it's because I've never used the stuff so I don't pay any attention to where it can be found.
Old March 21, 2011   #28
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Ah, how refreshing to hear!
Old March 21, 2011   #29
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Ha! Everyone who comes to my house and sees all the grow lights on my patio with all my tomato and pepper plants always asks if I got a little growing back there.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #30
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

And you will notice that there are whole lines of hydroponics supplies with humbolt in the name. If it ever was made completely freely legal, the hydroponics shops would all go out of business, with everyone who's growing it in hiding planting it outside.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote