Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 22, 2010   #1
cgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Paper Towel Method - much faster

First, I am still relatively new, learning and greatly appreciative of this forum. I wanted to share the results of a not completely controlled or on purpose experiment/comparison. Three weeks ago I bought one of the Jiffy pellet/greennouse/tray kits. (I've done paper towels before and it worked, but it seems to be more work in volume and organization.) I followed the instructions and planted accordingly - maybe 15 varieties. Then about 10 days ago, I bought/recieved some Wild Boar Farm seeds and decided to use the paper towel method, and when they started to germinate I put them in Foxfarms Light Warrior mix. This second batch is far far ahead of the Jiffy seeds, most of which have not shown yet. So I think the paper towel method may be almost two weeks faster from this experience.

(FWIW, I realize I am little late for our fall planting here so most of this is education. I do plan to sneak a few down to a friends ranch in far south Texas and persuade the foreman to keep one eye on them. I bought some started plants for home.)
cgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2010   #2
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Hi,
In my experience with pepper seeds and some other difficult seeds, the paper towel/ziplock method had 100% germination and overall more sucessfull than direct sow. My 2 cents.
Old August 23, 2010   #3
galaxytrash
Tomatovillian™

plus it saves you wasting time planting a seed that never was going to germinate in the first place.

the paper towell method gets my vote...
galaxytrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2010   #4
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

i've had pretty bad luck with this method. i live in a tropical country and the TP gets too dried up to quickly.

gonna try it out again as it's been getting cooler lately. might not dry up too much.
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2010   #5
brog
Tomatovillian™

Explain ziplock method please
Old September 7, 2010   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I use the European 1x4 brown coffee filters which fit into the 1qt ziplocks. Set the seeds inside the filter and spray the filter lightly with water. Turn filter over and spray again lightly. Put the moistened filter with seeds into the ziplock and set in a warm place out of direct sunlight. You can check for seed germination by holding the ziplock up to a light source. Germinations rates vary due to temperature location of the ziplocks.
Fox Farms Light Warrior is an excellent medium for sprouting or transplanting seedlings to when potting up. I've been using it for the last 3 years. Ami
Old September 7, 2010   #7
browndude3649
Tomatovillian™

Dont forget the cotton ball method.
browndude3649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010   #8
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Dont forget the cotton ball method.
a variation of the paper towel / ziplock baggy method I guess? I guess I'll try this with the other stuff I plan on germinating. More water retention I guess, probably better for my climate.
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010   #9
brog
Tomatovillian™

HI Ted good to hear from you,thanks for the info. I had good luck with all the tomato seed you sent, second Cowlicks seed came up healthy 100% germination. plants late but very good and still produceing, slowed in Aug. but setting good now. I rate them 9 on 1-10 scale. production 2nd to Rose ( best hierloom) producer the past 3 years. E-mail me your evaluation on your toms this year. thanks Bill
Old September 7, 2010   #10
WH_Conley
Tomatovillian™

How, exactly does the "cotton ball method work"?
WH_Conley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010   #11
browndude3649
Tomatovillian™

Cotton ball, small container, kinda bury the seed in the middle of cotton ball, keep moist till it germinates then transplant.
browndude3649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2010   #12
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
I use the European 1x4 brown coffee filters which fit into the 1qt ziplocks. Set the seeds inside the filter and spray the filter lightly with water. Turn filter over and spray again lightly. Put the moistened filter with seeds into the ziplock and set in a warm place out of direct sunlight. You can check for seed germination by holding the ziplock up to a light source. Germinations rates vary due to temperature location of the ziplocks.
Fox Farms Light Warrior is an excellent medium for sprouting or transplanting seedlings to when potting up. I've been using it for the last 3 years. Ami
I use coffee filters too since they don't fall apart when wet. Instead of ziplock bags I use those hard plastic containers that you get when you buy some bake goods.
This pre-sprouting method works extremely well. I do it for larger seeds like peas and beans which germinate much faster and more reliably that they would otherwise when planted directly outside in soil.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2010   #13
kath
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for this thread-definitely going to try this next year. Wondering if anyone has tried this with sweet corn-the seed is expensive to double sow, but with a small garden I don't like to have "holes" where there could be a plant!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2010   #14
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Paper towel method works beautifully for me, especially with old tomato seeds and pepper seeds. In fact, since 2009, I only do paper towel germination with all my pepper seeds. Once they sprout, I put each sprout into a separate container.

I still use 'normal' method (seeds started in peat moss/perlite mix) when I start dozens of fresh tomato seeds - as the paper towel method is not very efficient in this case.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2010   #15
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Thanks for this thread-definitely going to try this next year. Wondering if anyone has tried this with sweet corn-the seed is expensive to double sow, but with a small garden I don't like to have "holes" where there could be a plant!
I do that with old corn seeds as well - you just have to watch for mold problems that can happen when a 'bad' seed starts to rot after a few days of soaking in a paper towel. Works well for me, as I pre-sprout seeds this way before planting them out. Ensures no 'holes' in my corn patch

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote