Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 29, 2013   #1
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Default Transplant question - can I go bigger?

I am in zone 5b - Montreal. Some of my seedlings are getting to about 3" and are in 4" pots. I won't plant outside until almost the end of May, possibly around the 20th but that is not likely. Should I keep them in the 4" pots or am I okay to transplant into 6" pots? I won't be hardening them off for at least a couple of weeks.
Thanks, Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

hi there fellow Canadian
as long as they are not getting root-bound at all, they are fine for now in the 4" pots especially if they are only 3" tall. Just loosen one up and have a look at the roots. Don't worry unless the roots are really starting to fill up the pot which they likely aren't. Now having said that, if you have room in your setup for bigger pots you can transplant them up another size at any time you wish. You just don't HAVE to transplant until the roots are getting too big for their 4" pots. Hope that helps?
Happy gardening
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013   #3
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Karen. Some of the pots are the jiffy pots and they don't look like they are going to make it for another month, so I might just do that. I actually thought about just adding more potting soil if there is room. I guess I'll play it by ear for now!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote