Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 20, 2013   #1
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Default Only have room for 2 out of 5 sungolds- how to ID the best ones?

Newbie dilema: 4 sungolds lovingly grown from seed. One earthainer...

Dun dun dun!!!!

I need to select the best 2 out of 4 (5 if you include the runt seedling that is lagging behind the others) since I can only fit 2 in my earthtainer (18 gallon), and they all look the same to this newb: similar height, thickness, leaf count, color. I'll be giving the extra plants away to whatever neighbors will have them, but I want to make sure I keep the BEST ones for myself. I'm just not sure which ones they are. Obviously I won't be planting the runt, which I'm nursing with hopes it will eventually catch up, but I'll probably give it away when/if it does.

How do I determine which are the best to keep? Any subtle signs that make some plants more desirable than others? Other than some minor sunburn on older leaves they look the same to me!

I can post pics of the 4 earthtainer candidates if needed, I'm not sure if that's necessary but let me know if it would help.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2013   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sorry that I don't know any subtle signs other than the ones you mentioned but I see that no one has responded yet. Without a photo or information about how large they are it's hard to say. If the plants are very small and still growing together in one small cell, you might just separate them and pot up to 2-4" containers and wait a bit longer to see which ones do the best. If they're already in their own pots and are ready to be planted out/given away, I'd try eeny, meeny, miny, moe...I've never had a Sungold plant not do well.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2013   #3
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Just go with you instinsts. If that doesn't work .....

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2013   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I usually give away the best ones, and keep the runts, since I know I can nurse the runts to health, while I am chagrined if my neighbors have a bad experience with one of my seedlings. Probably my ego talking!
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2013   #5
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

If they are similar in size and appearance, it probably doesn't matter that much. I would randomly choose two for me and give away the rest of the nicer ones.

But do keep that runt, just in case. Especially if you haven't gotten them firmly situated, acclimated and supported in their new environment.

It's a sad feeling when you lose one and realize you just gave away the last one of that variety!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2013   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Vespertino,
Hey from back in NY. Wear your Yankee hat proud down there in the Republic of TX.
Other than potting up like Kath says (if you haven't) you can draw straws, spin the bottle...

I am with Scott though. Give the best and keep the rest. Has to be ego....
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2013   #7
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

if you have 4 plants that look equally happy and healthy then it won't matter which two you choose to keep. you can't go wrong here. sun gold produces lots and lots of fruit.which ever two you pick, as long as they stay happy and healthy are going to give you lots and lots of fruit. go eeny meeny minee mo, flip a coin, draw cards, magic eight ball.....

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2013   #8
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Vespertino,
Hey from back in NY. Wear your Yankee hat proud down there in the Republic of TX.
Other than potting up like Kath says (if you haven't) you can draw straws, spin the bottle...

I am with Scott though. Give the best and keep the rest. Has to be ego....
It's a given that I have a Yankee hat

I hadn't considered giving away the best ones and keeping the less-healthy looking ones. But it's good to be generous, so I will follow the advice of the many sages on this forum

Maybe my "newb luck" will rub off on the little runt and the smaller plants. Most are around 6 inches tall from the soil. I'm attaching some pictures.

Here's sungold #1, probably the most vigorous of the bunch if I had to guess.

Here's #2, probably the smallest one of the 4 and not as thick in the foliage department,and slightly smaller

Here's #3, the more vigorous brother of #2 but still a bit short for a stormtrooper.

And here's #4, probably the second best but near identical to brother #1.

This is a shot of 1-4 in order from right to left for a better size comparison relative to each other.

So deciding to give away my best (I am guessing that would be #1 and #4) I will keep #2 and #3 for myself and hope they come along as well as their other brothers

And finally here is my little runt. I don't think I planted him properly and the little seedling was confused as to which way was up when he started to grow out of the ground. He actually twirled into a loop! That part of him has since been buried under ground. While he's lagging behind I don't have the heart to toss him aside. Behind him are his larger brandywine brothers in an earthtainer- unfortunately those aren't from seed so I can't take credit.

So to recap- giving away #1 and #4 since they seem to be the best, keeping #2 and #3 for the second earthtainer. And my poor little runt will be nursed back to health.

Does that sound like a good plan? Or would you pick different ones to keep?
Old April 20, 2013   #9
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Keep one of the best and one of the medium ones. Give away the other best and medium. Share the wealth.
All four look good to me, probably won't be able to tell the difference after a little while.
Old April 20, 2013   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I think to heck with altruism. I would keep the 2 strongest and largest. In my garden they take off fastest and the others never keep up. I am growing them because I want tomatoes, especially true for Sungolds. Your neighbors will be just as delighted with any plants you give them. And they can kill a vigorous plant through neglect and ignorance so giving them your best one doesn't guarantee their success either.
Just my opinion, which probably isn't worth much either!
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2013   #11
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

keep the two that smell the best
Old April 21, 2013   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
keep the two that smell the best
Probably the best advice of all!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2013   #13
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Hehehe, I like the idea of going with my nose.

I'll be planting them in the earthtainer next week, so I have until then to part with my babies. To be honest I'm not keen on giving any of them up, I wish I had enough space on my patio for them all

Tags
earthtainer , sungold