Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 19, 2010   #1
ssi912
Tomatovillian™

Default headless horsemen

i have a few "headless horsemen" in my seed starting this year. my greek domato seedlings came up two weeks ago and have yet to set any leafs. the seed is still attached to the stem. i wet the seeds and tried to remove them, like have done for sometime on other seedlings, with no luck. i am at potting up time and dont know what to do with my "headless horsemen". any one have any info on this problem. thanks ahead of time.
ssi912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #2
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

try wet sprouting seeds before planting in medium

Earl
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Well, headless horsemen is a new one on me! I always refer to it as not doffing their hats. I've seen various explanations for why it happens, everything from not planting deep enough to a seed starting medium that isn't gritty enough, but why isn't so important if you're trying to save the ones already sprouted.

On a few rare pepper varieties I've practically done surgery to free the little cotolydens, but if I have plenty, I tend to let nature take its course. The way I remove it is to moisten the seed head and give it time to soak in the moisture. Most times I use spit, because it clings to the seed coat better. Then I take a very fine pair of tweezers, squeeze them shut, and carefully slide the tip under the edge of the stuck seed coat Let the tweezers open, gently separating and widening the split in the bottom of the seed coat. Lather, rinse, repeat until the seed coat either splits and falls away or can be very, very, very gently removed from above. I use a magnifying glass to get really close and see what I'm doing, because it's so easy to damage the cotolydens.

Last edited by Blueaussi; February 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: rogue apostrophe
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I will sometimes just use my fingernails to 'pinch' the seed coat sideways and carefully slide it off the cotolydens. The problem is if you don't do that within a couple of days of seeing the stuck seed coat, there is a good chance the seed leaves and growing tip will rot and then the plant has no chance at all.

I have also had what are called 'blind' plants. That is a plant that never seems to form true leaves because the growing tip is damaged in some way. The stem and seed leaves will grow but no true leaves.

SOMETIMES, not always, if you keep those seedlings on the warm side, eventually a side branch will form and you can save the plant. It will be quite behind other plants seeded at the same time tho. Not really worth it for varieties you have plenty of other seedlings. But for something rare (to you) that you 'need' sometimes it will work out.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #5
ssi912
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. Earl, it is the greek domato seed i got from ya. Everything i got from ya that i started this year has done great.

Wi- Sunflower, i sowed some of your varieties as well, excellent germination. Poatato tops are the strongest seedlings i got growing, their monsters.

Ill try my hand at surgery this afternoon. Really looking forward to trying a greek domato. thanks all.
ssi912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2013   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm bumping this thread with a pic of my own "headless horseman." It does not look like a tomato plant at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headless.jpg (96.0 KB, 62 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #7
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I had a few headless horsemen this year too. Very odd. Got a stalk with only the seed at the tip and they eventually died off. I just plucked them out and had to resow ..hoping they do better next go around.

For me, it seemed to be two varieties only that did this . Could be I have old seed.
Old March 27, 2013   #8
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

I've had more problems than normal this year with seed heads not coming off. I tried all the things I'd heard of but only saved a couple - with a fine little pair of scissors. The easiest way when possible is to always plant extra seed for just in case, but this year I still had to replant a couple of pepper varieties.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #9
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

It seems to happen for me with older seeds.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote