Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 5, 2013   #16
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

this site has some very knowledgeable members who help us newbies out.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #17
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

I've been putting my little seedlings outside whenever possible (they are only a few weeks old). Did an hour or so the first day, and two the next, but up to 8 hours a day after that.

Thought I read in someone's thread (cannot recall who) that once the seedlings are up, he/she gets them out as often as possible.

I haven't killed anything yet, so fingers are crossed!
GoGayleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2013   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGayleGo View Post
I've been putting my little seedlings outside whenever possible (they are only a few weeks old). Did an hour or so the first day, and two the next, but up to 8 hours a day after that.

Thought I read in someone's thread (cannot recall who) that once the seedlings are up, he/she gets them out as often as possible.

I haven't killed anything yet, so fingers are crossed!
I love to get my plants outside as soon as possible. If weather permits I set them out as soon as they start emerging and never have to worry about hardening off. Of course this early in the year I am constantly bringing them in and out. I always leave them out for a short time the first day but after that I will sometimes leave them out much longer if they show no signs of sunburning. Usually this happens because I forget to bring them in when I planned; but rarely are they damaged unless it is a very clear bright day with a lot of wind. The biggest advantage of having them outside early and often is they develop stronger stems and root systems without becoming leggy.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2013   #19
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I love to get my plants outside as soon as possible. If weather permits I set them out as soon as they start emerging and never have to worry about hardening off. Of course this early in the year I am constantly bringing them in and out. I always leave them out for a short time the first day but after that I will sometimes leave them out much longer if they show no signs of sunburning. Usually this happens because I forget to bring them in when I planned; but rarely are they damaged unless it is a very clear bright day with a lot of wind. The biggest advantage of having them outside early and often is they develop stronger stems and root systems without becoming leggy.
Yep! A couple hours a day to start. Sometimes even less. But quick as you can get them used to the sun wind and elements. I personally don't use grow lights. So I am forced to do this right from the start. As soon as they get used to the sun, it is out in my mini pop up 2'X2' greenhouse and they only come inside when the nights get too cold. A bit tricky for a couple days. But in the end MUCH stronger seedlings.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2013   #20
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
As soon as they get used to the sun, it is out in my mini pop up 2'X2' greenhouse and they only come inside when the nights get too cold.
You may want to see if your mini greenhouse is UV coated. Most are. Any new leaves that form inside or in you greenhouse are subject to burn. It's like tanning your arms, then putting on a swimsuit. Everything not tanned will burn - same with new leaves and growth that develops without UV exposure.
Old March 8, 2013   #21
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwired View Post
You may want to see if your mini greenhouse is UV coated. Most are. Any new leaves that form inside or in you greenhouse are subject to burn. It's like tanning your arms, then putting on a swimsuit. Everything not tanned will burn - same with new leaves and growth that develops without UV exposure.

Oh I also have a low tunnel they go to after the mini greenhouse and finally I harden them in direct sun a couple days before I set them in the ground. Everything step by step.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old March 8, 2013   #22
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have found that if the plants are small enough when they go outside that they get the opportunity to harden for a couple of weeks will actually show less shock when transplanted and stand up to the variables of the weather better.
I really like for them to go through at least one good drying out and spend some time in a windy spot before they are transplanted. The drying encourages root growth and the wind strengthens the stalks. This can really be a help when the strong winds and weather fluctuations of March and April hit the new transplants.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2013   #23
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Great thread, my question about this hardening is when do you spray the seedlings for bugs and disease? I just had to toss five 2 ft tall beefsteak tomato plants because they had TCLV? NOt sure the letters are correct but I sure have not had a problem with bugs so I don't know how that even happened. I went ahead and sprayed my new baby seedlings with neem spray and wonder if I should be spraying with something else as well?

Also, hardening on my patio that has a bit of mottled shading from lattice on top of the patio structure. Does this equate to enough hardening off before they go full sun?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2013   #24
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

That's one way to do it.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison