Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 1, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Magic Water Wand (Tomato Plants)

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LXROX 14 July 2012 Magic Water Wand (Tomato Plants)
Thirty two plants were watered thoroughly using the MAGIC WATER WAND.The wand was inserted about ten inches from the stalk in three places around the plant. Total time to water 30 minutes. This should be sufficient for a week or ten days.The area is suffering from a severe drought.

http://durgan.org/URL/?ARLGN 28 May 2009 Watering Plant Roots.The MAGIC WATER WAND.
This method gets water to the root area of the plants. The hydraulic effect of the water makes pushing the wand into the ground effortless. The device is made by cutting off the end of a typical water garden wand as sold in most hardware stores.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2013   #2
meatburner
Tomatovillian™

Durgan, do you have a pic of the wand setup out of the ground. I would like to see how you put it together. Not sure what you put in the ground. Thanks so much.
Old March 3, 2013   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatburner View Post
Durgan, do you have a pic of the wand setup out of the ground. I would like to see how you put it together. Not sure what you put in the ground. Thanks so much.
The fourth picture. Just the end of the pipe is pushed into the ground.
Old March 4, 2013   #4
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

32 plants in 30 minutes, 3 holes per plant ... so you put the wand in the ground for <20 seconds each time? And you turn it off in-between? (if not, how do you keep from making furrows in the soil?)

I have a headless Dramm wand (got on freecycle) and bought a screw-on head for it. But I guess pushing it into the ground would ruin the threads and it'd be cheaper to use a cut-off generic one.

Last edited by habitat_gardener; March 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2013   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

No furrows, simply lift the wand. It is really a quick operation. The bit of hole made made also aerates a little. Sometimes I kick a bit of soil or wood chips from the mulching into the hole if too obvious.
Old March 4, 2013   #6
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I just might make one, but I'd make it a lot longer so that I don't have to bend over every time. I'd also put one of those in line shut offs on it so I could move it around without soaking myself.

There is a lot of options as to what to make it out of. I think I might use some metal electrical conduit because I have it. After bending it and cut if off to the right length, I'd use a short piece of hose to connect it to a female hose coupling and be good to go.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote