Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 9, 2016   #1
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Default Ron's Carbon Copy - 2016

Anyone grow this one out this year? I got it from two seed sources on TV, and they taste completely different.

One is savory and sweet. The other savory and sour. Several plants from each source were grown next to each other so I know its not about conditions.

The best one (to me) is the one that is savory and sweet. It taste almost like someone made a savory, tomatoey concord grape.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I think your description of savory and sweet is accurate. RCC is a good tasting tomato and I don't care for sour/acid at all.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

Ron's Carbon Copy tastes just likE Carbon variety does- all that good dark tomato flavor. It's a big tomato crammed into a cherry sized bite!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I would echo exactly what Kath said

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #5
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I think it's definitely more savoury and sweet.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #6
shule1

I finally got some ripe ones, today. My Ron's Carbon Copy was delayed, both in germination and maturity. They were also prone to splitting. It was probably the seeds and maybe the soil rather than the variety, though. So, I saved my own seeds for next year (to give it a better trial). My fruits were very sweet, but not particularly savory (that might be because I've been watering them a lot for increased growth). I enjoyed them. I'm curious what a sauce or soup made from tomatoes that sweet would taste like.
Old August 30, 2016   #7
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I finally got some ripe ones, today. My Ron's Carbon Copy was delayed, both in germination and maturity. They were also prone to splitting. It was probably the seeds and maybe the soil rather than the variety, though. So, I saved my own seeds for next year (to give it a better trial). My fruits were very sweet, but not particularly savory (that might be because I've been watering them a lot for increased growth). I enjoyed them. I'm curious what a sauce or soup made from tomatoes that sweet would taste like.
I made about a pint of sauce from CC. It's AMAZING.
Old August 31, 2016   #8
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

My two RCC's are monster plants, completely taking over the tomato bed. No matter how much I top off or prune, it keeps growing and producing! The fruit are large and I would describe the taste as sweetish. I don't find it as sweet as Black Cherry but maybe it's this year's growing season. My Sun Sugars are quite tart which is very unusual. I have no idea if the extremely hot and humid temps played a role in that. I found it took all my tomatoes awhile to ripen, but now RCC is unreal. I'm going to have to oven roast them or make some kind of sauce. I can't keep up.
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016   #9
shule1

@Scooty

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

@SharonRossy

The heat probably has a lot to do with the Sunsugars being tart. However, it could be caused by low potassium in the soil, too. I've read that potassium can help tomatoes to be less acidic. Potassium is important while it's hot. I believe it's less available while hot and more available while cold (I could be wrong), but it is supposed to improve heat-tolerance of the plant.

We must have plenty of potassium, because there's hardly any acid in most of our tomatoes, this year. I really miss acidic tomatoes. I was extremely happy to find that McGee was acidic, however. I love it. Next year, I want to plant some Early Girl F1 or F2 tomatoes just to ensure a good amount of acidity is available.

Last edited by shule1; August 31, 2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old September 1, 2016   #10
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
My two RCC's are monster plants, completely taking over the tomato bed. No matter how much I top off or prune, it keeps growing and producing! The fruit are large and I would describe the taste as sweetish. I don't find it as sweet as Black Cherry but maybe it's this year's growing season. My Sun Sugars are quite tart which is very unusual. I have no idea if the extremely hot and humid temps played a role in that. I found it took all my tomatoes awhile to ripen, but now RCC is unreal. I'm going to have to oven roast them or make some kind of sauce. I can't keep up.
Sharon
I have yet to check on our Austin's Black Cherry. But the "sweet and savory" version of Carbon Copy was almost 1.0 Brix above Black Cherry and a bit less acidic.

If you don't mind the seeds or skin, its pretty easy to get quite a bit of sauce out of cherries.

Last edited by Scooty; September 1, 2016 at 01:27 AM.