Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 15, 2007   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default New Big Dwarf

What is a good source for New Big Dwarf?

Thanks!

Don
Old November 15, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'd start with Victory if I were looking for NBD seed.
Old November 15, 2007   #3
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Shelly!

Don

(Edit added). I found them at Victory. You have probably ordered NBD from them. Do you have any idea how many seeds are in a pack?

Last edited by TomatoDon; November 15, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
TomatoDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2007   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I believe it's 20-30 seeds, somewhere in that neighborhood.
Old November 16, 2007   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Victory seems to be the only source for this fantastic variety. Not sure why. I did a seed offer of it last year.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2008   #6
clarenceboy
Tomatovillian™

feldon30, how does it taste? acidic, sweet, both? And how many pounds of tomatoes can one reasonnably expect from one plant?
clarenceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2008   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Tomato Growers is now also selling it, I was delighted to see! The flavor is really excellent for a dwarf variety - right up there with some of the better indeterminates - I would call it on the sweet side, but very full flavored. You can probably expect 15 - 20 pounds from a well grown plant.
Old January 22, 2008   #8
duajones
Tomatovillian™

NBD ranks highly in taste among the few varieties I have grown so far. I had problems with it in the spring last year, most fruit were fused or smaller than advertised. I am giving it another go this spring and hope for better results. My source was also Victory seeds
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2008   #9
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

What is the difference between NBD and 'Bush' varieties?
I grew Bush Champion from Totally Tomatoes two years ago and was very pleased with it. I was surprised at the size of the fruit from such a small plant. I didn't keep good records for my plants that were in containers. I was away alot that summer and couldn't keep a good watering schedule.
Last year I planted it side by side with Bush Goliath and it blew it out of the water! I was very pleased once again.

Can I expect the same if I try NBD?

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2008   #10
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Bush Champion appears to be a dwarf type (tree type) hybrid - so if this is the case, New Big Dwarf would have similar growth habit/plant type/foliage. I think Bush Champion would be a red tomato - New big Dwarf is a medium to medium large, oblate pink tomato. Another difference is that New Big Dwarf is open pollinated (not a hybrid), so comes true from saved seed - whereas Bush Champion would not (only important if you save seeds, of course)!
Old January 22, 2008   #11
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Craig, and your right, Bush Champion is red. Very red. Sounds worth giving it the side by side challenge again.

Well, off on the seed hunt one more time! and last time I hope.!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2008   #12
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Tomato Growers has the dtm for NBD at 60 days-if that isnt a typo, I wonder if they have the right variety. I have grown NBD multiple times, and never had anything like 60 days-either in the greenhouse or outside in a container. Victory has 90 days for dtm, and thats close to my experience-my dtms here in the desert southwest are about 80-85 days.
Old January 22, 2008   #13
clarenceboy
Tomatovillian™

Default New Big Dwarf

Thanks Craig, and it is a pleasure to talk to you at last after having read about your work and followed it from far away...

I think I'll really get into that one, I will grow roughly 150 tomato plants next season and I definitely need more determinates with good taste and the dwarfs always excited me a lot, but the ones I grew were northern varieties, tasting nothing to send you through the roof, and I am being polite to them...I can A LOT and want some bumper crops in the mix.

Is it possible to find rugose foliage on something else than dwarfs? Apart from the look, which is awesome, is there any other special caracteristic geneticly attached to the phenotype?

I have always gone for indeterminates for taste and extended harvest, but is there a REAL determinate, and by that a plant that won't end up 7 feet high like my patch of Principe Bhorgese that offers ggod italian tomatoes.

Roma fits the bill for a small manageable plant, but the color in the jar is only so so, like the taste.

A practical determinate, for me, should only need minimal staking, a small tomato cage for example. I don't care at that point for semi-determinates, I consider them indeterminates from a practical standpoint.

I am at that age, with back problems and a shoulder bursitis where my body and how it will have to work will...determine what I consider a determinate

Staking is hard on my shoulder, I still love doing it but sometimes my harm does not follow that enthousiasticly...

Small plants with no fuss are welcome, as long as taste is there...

Thanks

Michel
clarenceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2008   #14
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Michael, this is a testament to the overall uselessness of DTM. In 2006, I had a first ripe on NBD of 54 days, last year 62 days. It all depends upon weather, location, and age of plants when transplanted. Looking at the TGS description and picture, it looks right to me.
Old January 22, 2008   #15
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Did those of you who grew NBD, grow it in a container?
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote