Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 15, 2013   #1
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Default How do I check if seeds will germinate?

I've just started saving seeds. I've done the "paper towel" method with a small number of seeds. I've done the fermentation method (via Baker Creek's catalog instructions) with more seeds. How can I tell if these seeds will germinate? Can I test a few and, if so, what would be the easiest, fastest method?

Also, with my first batch of fermented seeds, I've had them drying on a paper plate for nearly a week. They seem soft to me. Also, though I tried to separate them when wet, many/most are clumped. Will it hurt them to gently separate them? Is the softness of the seeds indicative of a problem?

Thanks for any advice!
FreyaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2013   #2
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

I separate mine when wet as much as I can; it won't hurt at all to separate
them during and after drying. I'm not especially gentle with them.

I do dry them on a paper plate or in a coffee filter for a couple of weeks.
I'd continue to dry yours until they hardened more and felt the same as purchased seeds. Maybe it's a bit humid there (but not requiring air conditioning)?

I do a quick germination test by putting 10 seeds in a damp paper towel
in a plastic zip lock. Use a coffee filter instead if you're using these pregerminated seeds to plant; the small root can get trapped in paper
toweling. I like the filter, too, because it's easy to hold up to the light and
see a root forming-proof of germination. Depending on the temperature,
you'll know in a week or 10 days (most of mine will have germinated in 4 days). Good luck with your seeds.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2013   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

When I do save some seeds after fermentation and hot water treatment found best to dry on parchment paper after as much seperating(will not stick).Before planting will drop test only large fat looking seeds onto paper plate to "hear"for a solid sounding drop noise.Seems to me the smaller seeds produce weaker plants in the long run.
Old February 15, 2013   #4
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
I separate mine when wet as much as I can; it won't hurt at all to separate them during and after drying. I'm not especially gentle with them.

I do dry them on a paper plate or in a coffee filter for a couple of weeks. I'd continue to dry yours until they hardened more and felt the same as purchased seeds. Maybe it's a bit humid there (but not requiring air conditioning)?
That pretty much describes my current air conditions, humid but nice temps (thermostat says 58% humidity...yuck!) Okay, I'll leave the seeds on the paper plate for another week or more. Should I wait to separate them when they are fully dry or is it okay to do them now?

Quote:
I do a quick germination test by putting 10 seeds in a damp paper towel in a plastic zip lock. Use a coffee filter instead if you're using these pregerminated seeds to plant; the small root can get trapped in paper toweling. I like the filter, too, because it's easy to hold up to the light and see a root forming-proof of germination. Depending on the temperature, you'll know in a week or 10 days (most of mine will have germinated in 4 days). Good luck with your seeds.
Thanks! What I needed to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
When I do save some seeds after fermentation and hot water treatment found best to dry on parchment paper after as much seperating(will not stick).Before planting will drop test only large fat looking seeds onto paper plate to "hear"for a solid sounding drop noise.Seems to me the smaller seeds produce weaker plants in the long run.
I like the parchment paper idea. Bigger area, too! For some of my seeds I'll try the drop test, but these are little seeds from a (larger) grape-sized tomato. Not sure I'd hear much of anything! (I'll blame loud music or kids for my current poor hearing condition.)
FreyaFL is offline   Reply With Quote