Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 15, 2011   #1
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Was someone talking about the blue tomatoes?

I had a friend who emailed me today that two sellers were offering the "Blue" tomato on Ebay (Carolyns ABSOLUTELY favorite seed source!) I wondered if someone here knows these growers?

One listing says "UP FOR BIDS IS 25 REAL BLUE TOMATO SEEDS . THESE ARE STABLE SMALL FRUIT THAT PRODUCE YUMMY RIPE RED (AND BLUE ) THEY TURN BLUE WHEREVER THEY ARE EXPOSED TO THE SUN . THESE TOMATOES ARE GREAT FOR BREEDING STOCK FOR TOMATO BREEDERS." Listed by go4Campbell

And the other seller is "J& L Gardens. I figured Carolyn might know who they are. I remember someone on here saying that people were not supposed to do something with blue seed they had gotten from a particular source? What is it with "blue" stuff??? Orchid growers have been trying for years to breed a true blue as have the daylily people. I just don't get it... But then again, I don't get the "black" tomato hoohah either...
Old February 15, 2011   #2
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

Mr. Campbell posts on I Dig.
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Campbell I recognize and when I said something to him at idig he basically told me to mind my own business. He was selling them there as well.

J and L doesn't ring a bell for me at all.

Right, I walk miles and miles thru deep snow, mud and semi-nuclear attacks in order to avoid having to even look at links to e-bay tomatoes, with few exceptions. And there are some good guys who do sell tomato seed off e-bay.

I keep wondering why so many go there, but then I also know that many folks know nothing about message sites, nothing about all the resources that those at most message sites know about, don't know about the many great seed companies out there but know about e-bay b'c that's all they know. IN past times there used to be ads for some companies in some of the national magazines devoted to gardening, but so many of those magazines, the good ones, have gone under as well.

We just had a thread here about e-bay tomatoes which was a lively one so no sense in my saying anything more.
Old February 16, 2011   #4
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I was just pulling your leg Carolyn! And I know EVERYONE here understands the time and effort you put into every aspect of the heirloom tomato world. I also know you care deeply about keeping names/genetic lines accurate.

The J&L seller had one called they are calling "Bosque Blue" with this description:

Quote:
Here at the farm, we've crossed a selected strain of the rare blue stock to Amy's Sugar Gem, one of our favorite tomatoes to take to market in Los Alamos and Santa Fe. The result is a vigorous plant which bears wonderful salad tomatoes with the lustrous dark purple of the original and its important antioxidant properties. The skin of this tomato contains as much anthocyanin as a blueberry. The color is darkest when the temperatures are cooler and the fruit is not shaded. Because the color shows up in the young foliage, you can continue to improve the stock by selecting the darkest of your seedings to plant out
and the other one is described as:
Quote:
This selection is slightly smaller than our Bosque Blue, but the color is quite intense and the surface is often sprinkled with green flecks which deepen to a rich gold. It is the result of an unknown cross - perhaps to a strain of Sophie's Choice we developed here on the farm. J&L Select Blue makes an wonderful salad tomato with real tomato flavor and superb texture - truly a garden treasure. 65 days to maturity from transplant. The darkest seedlings will produce the darkest fruit. Cooler temperatures and full sun also contribute to the beautiful color.
There is also someone selling "OSU Blue" and a fourth seller selling simply "blue".

I would post pics but don't think it would be right to copy their pictures. The J&L
folks are from New Mexico.
Old February 16, 2011   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Your son ordered some seed from me the other day. I'll put a pack of the OSU Blue in with the order.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2011   #6
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Your son ordered some seed from me the other day. I'll put a pack of the OSU Blue in with the order.

Carol
Oh thank you! I am having to have him order seeds and then mail them to me. I ordered from a couple of catalogs and when the Commercial logo was seen (Like "Burpees: as an example) the Mexican Customs took them. He is coming down to see us at the end of March (right before calving season starts) and I will be sending some seeds from Mexico home with him and he will be bringing some to me. Big pain in the backside! I know he LOVES getting emails from me while he is on vacation telling him to buy seeds!

Last edited by brokenbar; February 16, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2011   #7
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneoftheEarls View Post
Mr. Campbell posts on I Dig.
He used to post here, too... until we banned him for consistently being rude to other members in his posts.

Personally, I wouldn't purchase anything from him.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2011   #8
erlyberd
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar
I was just pulling your leg Carolyn!
That was cruel.
erlyberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2011   #9
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
He used to post here, too... until we banned him for consistently being rude to other members in his posts.
I wasn't aware.
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #10
King Carrot
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Campbell I recognize and when I said something to him at idig he basically told me to mind my own business. He was selling them there as well.

J and L doesn't ring a bell for me at all.

Right, I walk miles and miles thru deep snow, mud and semi-nuclear attacks in order to avoid having to even look at links to e-bay tomatoes, with few exceptions. And there are some good guys who do sell tomato seed off e-bay.

I keep wondering why so many go there, but then I also know that many folks know nothing about message sites, nothing about all the resources that those at most message sites know about, don't know about the many great seed companies out there but know about e-bay b'c that's all they know. IN past times there used to be ads for some companies in some of the national magazines devoted to gardening, but so many of those magazines, the good ones, have gone under as well.

We just had a thread here about e-bay tomatoes which was a lively one so no sense in my saying anything more.
Could someone kindly point me in the direction of this thread, as I've done a search and I don't think I'm finding it!

cheers
King Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #11
lilhammerlane
Tomatovillian™

If your interested in some more history on the blue tomato, theres a pretty indepth thread going on at Idig right now.
where it came from, etc...It just blows my mind on wild stuff of this one.
lilhammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote