Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 7, 2021   #1
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Default cantaloupe in SWC question

Hi:

I'm growing cantaloupe for the first time. Seedlings are nearly ready for transplant, and idea is to grow them in global bucket and earthbox on my patio. From what I have read on the internet, many suggest reducing watering when fruit sets to encourage a sweeter fruit. How do I do that with SWC? Let the mix run dry and top-water? Or forget this method and grow in a regular container?

Thanks for your time!
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2021   #2
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Hi, does SWC stand for Self Watering Container? If so, you would have to find a way to reduce water during the fruit ripening period, give it just enough to keep the leaves from wilting. I suppose that would mean disconnecting your automatic watering source (not sure how to do this as I've never used an automatic watering planter) and adding water sparingly (manually) during the fruit ripening period. Hope this helps.
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2021   #3
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Yes, self watering container. There is no automatic watering source, just me hunched over with a hose over the buckets.

Maybe SWC isn't the best way to do this, then.. because reducing the watering could mean the peat-moss based potting mix will dry out, which then is a PITA to get moistened again. It could end up channeling which makes it very tough to keep watered. Hmmm.

Any suggestions on container mix for cantaloupe then? I have 6 seedlings, and no space except on my patio balcony.
Old July 7, 2021   #4
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

I'm relatively new to growing melons myself. I have mine going in 7-gal. and 15-gal. Gro-bags with Black Gold Organic Potting Mix and they seem to be doing pretty well. They get lots of afternoon and early evening sun and I water them every other day.
Old August 27, 2021   #5
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Update! I planted two into the ground in some else's yard (not pictured), and each has two fruits. The plants themselves are small.

A third plant was skipped, forgot to plant, and died.

Pictured are remaining three on my balcony: one in a 5-gallon self-watering grow-bucket setup, and the other two in a 22 gallon growbag. The 22 gallon grow bag plants have a fresh 3-1-1 mix (bark, peat, pumice), amended with some lime and organic dry fertilizer. The vines have grown well, have had so many blooms that even attracted many bees to my balcony, but not a single fruit. Each had a few female flowers blooming early, before any male flowers, then nothing but male flowers. The vines have slowed down in growth and I don't see many more flowers. Some powdery mildew beginning to show up (argh!!).

The bucketed plant was in the 3-2-1 mix (peat, bark, pumice) with lime mixed in and a ring of fertilizer near the top. It took a while to establish, and when it finally did, the first female flower was pollinated quickly and set fruit!! It's perched a bit precariously, but I'm hoping for it to keep healthy before it gets cold here.

Next time, I'll start with one and then plant the others a couple weeks later.. assuming the blooming trend will be same next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balcony trio.jpg (255.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg cantaloupe baby.jpg (208.4 KB, 57 views)
Old August 27, 2021   #6
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking melon!
Old September 25, 2021   #7
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

It grew to a 7"x5" elliptical shape. I stopped watering the reservoir, and found timing to watering such that the leaves wilt by evening, and perk up by morning. It has begun changing color and this morning it split. DAG NABBIT.

Can I put some plastic wrap or tape around this section to allow it to ripen on vine for a few days longer?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg split cantaloupe.jpg (172.8 KB, 41 views)
Old September 27, 2021   #8
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

I went ahead and just pulled it that same day, since the vine-end was mostly off already and I was afraid ants or other bugs would get into it. The interior was dry and mealy. Mildly sweet. Probably a little under ripe, so, hoping next year for better results