Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old July 29, 2006   #16
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

My Thai basil has purple stems but small green leaves, much smaller than the Genovese. I'll try to hunt down my camera this weekend and post a picture, since it sounds like that might be on the right track. I bought it as a small plant, so not sure when you start the seeds. It's doing well now, so I'm guessing it's a plant in the spring one. I found a link to a few different kinds. Mine looks the most like the Thai holy basil here: http://www.evergreenseeds.com/thaibasil3.html
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2006   #17
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing 3 different types of Asian basils this year: Lettuce-Leaf, Queen of Siam, and Lime Basil. The Queen of Siam basil reminds me a lot of basil I've been served in Thai and Vietnamese retaurants. I personally prefer the Asian basils. The Genovese I grew once was too strong, overpowering.

I got my seeds from Baker's Creek http://www.rareseeds.com

I have to agree that a variety of Spearmint is the mint usually used. It has a ruffley leaf, and reminds me a little of Applemint, (might be Applemint). As annietomatomad suggested, mint and basil both will root very easily. That is the sure way to make sure you grow the same thing.
Old August 16, 2006   #18
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirl
My Thai basil has purple stems but small green leaves, much smaller than the Genovese.
That is pretty much what my Queen of Siam basil looks like as well: smaller green leaves, purple stem. It also holds up well in the refrigerator without wilting and turning brown, etc. I took some out a couple of days ago, that had been in the refrigerator over a week. It looked fresh picked for all practical purposes. I just clipped a section off the top of the plant, stuck it in a ziplock bag, and put it in the refrigerator.
Old August 17, 2006   #19
honu
Tomatovillian™

Annie is spot on in all her recommendations! I also love cilantro and a green onion stalk in my rolls.

Fert1,
Quote:
It has a ruffley leaf, and reminds me a little of Applemint, (might be Applemint).
No, it's definitely not Applemint. They do both having crinkley leaves, but the Applemint I've grown is fuzzy and lighter green colored than spearmint and has a very sweet apple fragrance.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2006   #20
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

I grow both sweet and Thai basil. To my taste the Thai has a stronger anise flavor.

http://www.pbase.com/chiles400/image/65517820
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2006   #21
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Yep, it does have more of an anise/licorice/clove type of flavor than sweet basil. I just like it better.
Old September 23, 2006   #22
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

JohnF,

Your container garden is just gorgeous!! It's making me drool!!
Old February 5, 2007   #23
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Asian Herbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique
Hi All,
If possible, I would like to know which variety of mint is used for Vietnamese type spring rolls.
Angelique
Could it be Kinh Gioi? Evergreen seeds has this to say:

Quote:
A very unique herb, called Kinh Gioi in Vetnam and also often called Vietnamese Balm or Vietnamese Mint in the West. Plants produce bright green saw-edged leaves with lemony scent flavor. Young leaves are used in fish and chicken dishes, salads, soups and tea drinks . . .continued here
I started seeds 11 days ago. Messed up on germantion with the cold temps and not getting good potting soil. Only a few tiny seedlings up. I'll post a picture as soon as I don't have to use a macro to see the seedlings.
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote