Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 4, 2015   #1
Allura
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed Source for Sweet Pepper "Ljubov Dlan" and "Slonovo Uho"?

Does anyone know of a source to obtain some Ljubov Dlan or Slonovo Uho pepper seed? I don't know if it's possible to purchase seed from Croatia or not and all the hits for Ljubov Dlan pepper is in a language I don't understand. I found Slonovo Uho on Tatiana's TOMATOBase but I'm having a difficult time with navigating her site.

Any advice?
Allura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I can see what you mean, it's kind of hard to get to the actual seed ordering page at Tatiana's. This page gives you her seed ordering from A-Z, see if this works for you.
http://tatianastomatobase.com/seed-catalog/html/
Also, she spells it Slonovo Uvo. By the way, once on that page, must click on the peppers button on the left.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Ljubov Dlan (Luke's Palm) are available on e-Bay or you can email Mario Plantosar marioplantosar@gmail.com in Croatia for seeds.

Slonovo Uho (Elephant's Ears) are available here:
http://www.goldenpreservationfarm.co...-sweet-pepper/
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #4
peppero
Tomatovillian™

pm me for slonovo udo.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #5
Allura
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ginger, thanks for the reply and link to Tatiana's. Initially, I was having a problem with the Pepper page loading; it was coming up blank. I found a few varieties that looked interesting in addition to the Slonovo Uvo so I'm now awaiting 6 packs of pepper seeds that will probably arrive too late for me to start and get to a decent size for planting out. I waited too long to play! Anyway, I'll be well prepared for next year.

rhines81, thank you so much for the suggestion to try ebay. It never crossed my mind to look there and I did find the seeds for Ljubov Dlan. I have a pack of seeds ordered but I will have to wait till next year to grow them.

peppero, thank you for your kind and generous offer for Slonovo Uvo seeds. I found them on Tatiana's site and they should be arriving soon along with the following varieties:

Giant Aconcagua
Karmen
Marinkin Yazychok
Pelso
Zolotistyi

Currently, I only have one variety of pepper "Costa Rican Sweet Hybrid" in peat pellets. It's only been 7 days so no germination yet.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies.

Last edited by Allura; April 8, 2015 at 02:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old April 8, 2015   #6
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Ljubov Dlan (Luke's Palm) are available on e-Bay or you can email Mario Plantosar marioplantosar@gmail.com in Croatia for seeds.

Slonovo Uho (Elephant's Ears) are available here:
http://www.goldenpreservationfarm.co...-sweet-pepper/
Hmmm... I've been growing Elephant Ear since 2006, sent to me in trade by a Serbian poster on another site. Thanks for the alternate name, I'll note it in my records. It has been a highly productive pepper for me, sweet flavor & walls as thick as bells, with a short DTM. Very reliable, it was the only sweet pepper to ripen in quantity in my abnormally cool 2014 summer. I saved a lot of seed last year, Allura, and would be happy to throw some in the mail tomorrow... PM your addy if interested.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015   #7
Allura
Tomatovillian™

I received my ebay order from Croatia today. There were only 2 sellers for the Ljubov Dlan pepper that I was looking for so I chose one and when the package arrived today I found the seller to be Mario Plantosar as suggested by rhines81. Fast shipping and a freebie, "Amfora" pepper. Has anyone tried this one yet?

Also, I got some seeds for Kurtovska Kapija and they are tinged green as if they were perhaps sprayed with a dye or something. Has anyone seen seeds treated like this?
Old April 17, 2015   #8
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

WWW.skyfiregardenseeds.com has them a.k.a. Donkey Ears.
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2015   #9
Allura
Tomatovillian™

Hi ChristinaJo, thanks for the link to skyfiregardenseeds but I've already received my Slonovo Uvo (aka Donkey Ears or Elephant Ears) seeds and they are planted. Apparently, Sky Fire Garden is closed effective 3/31 and for sale.
Old April 17, 2015   #10
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Allura, do not forget to share your experience and post pictures as well.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2015   #11
Allura
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ella, I have 4 varieties of peppers planted but I'm not too confident that they'll germinate in time to make decent sized plants. I originally had only 1 variety (Burpee Costa Rican Sweet Pepper) and out of 8 seeds planted, only 2 germinated in three weeks. They are still on their cotyledons. The other new varieties that I just received have only been on heat and under light for one week so far. I'm running out of time for the peppers.

On the other hand, my tomatoes are developing their first true leaves and I should be potting up this weekend.
Old April 17, 2015   #12
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I have done that myself only once and for the same reason as you mentioned, running out of time, presoaking seeds for 24 hours. It helps to speed germination.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #13
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allura View Post
I received my ebay order from Croatia today. There were only 2 sellers for the Ljubov Dlan pepper that I was looking for so I chose one and when the package arrived today I found the seller to be Mario Plantosar as suggested by rhines81. Fast shipping and a freebie, "Amfora" pepper. Has anyone tried this one yet?

Also, I got some seeds for Kurtovska Kapija and they are tinged green as if they were perhaps sprayed with a dye or something. Has anyone seen seeds treated like this?
Score on the peppers. Freebies are always good too. Loosely translated, amfora is a two-handled glass/ceramic pitcher so I wonder if that's what the peppers will look like. Post pictures of your harvest please.
I've had grass seed tumbled in fertilizer which gave in a bluish-green color, I wonder if that's what it might be.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #14
Allura
Tomatovillian™

My peppers are finally germinating. I have 3 Karmen, 3 Zolotysti, 4 Slonovo Uvo, and 1 Pelso that were seeded in pellets and 1 Ljubov Dlan in the "root stage" that I speed germinated w/the paper towel/baggie method. I buried it in a pellet so I don't know how much longer before it pops up. Hopefully, they'll be of sufficient size for planting out by the end of May.

rhines81, the Amfora pepper looks like a sweet non-bell similar to Ljubov Dlan. As for the Kurtovska Kapija seeds that are tinged green, I think it might be some sort of inoculant perhaps?

Here's a pic of Amfora and the green seeds:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seeds2.jpg (248.9 KB, 57 views)
Old April 22, 2015   #15
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I've also gotten slonvono uvo from Tatianas, glad you found where to place the order on the site. Even though the site is a bit tricky, I found it was worth it in the end. She's got LOTS of great seeds.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote