Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old June 20, 2017   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic different method.

http://durgan.org/2017/June%202017/1...20Scapes/HTML/ 13 June 2017 Garlic Scapes
Garlic scapes are forming on the hard neck garlic. They are the curly snake like tentacles on which the seed called bulbils form. The scapes may be cut off and eaten. There is a view that removing the scapes makes the garlic bulb larger, but I have seen no evidence of this.
Harvest is usually the first week of July in my Zone 5, but I no longer do this. The scapes are left on and the garlic is allowed to grow until the bulbs start to break the covering, then it is harvested. I have found the bulbs get larger if the scapes are not removed and bursting of the bulb covering in no way reduces the storage life. Seeds (bulbils) are harvested when they form at the end of the scapes. Usually one scape produces numerous (100) seeds.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default 15 July 2017 Garlic Rounds Harvested

http://durgan.org/2017/July%202017/1...arvested/HTML/ 15 July 2017 Garlic Rounds Harvested
The garlic rounds were harvested and set to dry for planting in the Fall of 2017. Each round will produce four cloves which will used for a main crop in 2018. The 2017 crop has not been harvested yet. Six scape seed heads were wrapped in gauze to collect the seeds as they mature. One seed head produces many seeds around 50 plus. The seeds fall out if not trapped. This method means all of the main crop can be utilized instead of a portion being used for planting for the next year’s crop.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2017   #3
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Growing from bulbils is a great way to reduce virus load within the garlic. but bulbils should not be referred to as seed, seed is TGS from flowers.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote