Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 26, 2008   #1
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Default earth tunnel house

After reading about 'earthship'house construction using thermal mass as its sometimes only form of heating/ cooling,i set about building this tunnel house, built on the same principals.I started with 6 railway sleepers for each of the middle hoops and 4 power poles, 2 each end, these were all cemented in to place,large bolts inserted and 6mm wire netting added between for reinforcement.One ton of cement and a hell of a lot rocks from our local river went into the four walls,then soil added to the sides and planted in native grass.
In winter with outside frost temp down to -8 C/-18 F,inside has not gone below 4 C/40 F, some tomatos"black krim" did make it though winter and have just starting to come away again now.In the summer we average day time highs of 30 C/83 F but when it gets hotter the inside/outside temperates tend even up.

This tunnel house gives me about a 9 month growing season and has helped expand the outside gardens season also.My thoughts now are towards building a second larger one with solar and woodburner for heating.
We have had about a years worth of rain in the last two weeks, thats why there water inside its all ground water its just coming up from below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0008.jpg (566.7 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0011.jpg (517.9 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0010.jpg (462.5 KB, 338 views)
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote