Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 26, 2010   #1
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

Default ID help with a cherry

This was labeled as a Black Krim when I got the seed from a friend. She grew Black Cherry, Isis Candy Cherry, Gajo de melon and a Bi-color she isn't sure of. Now I have picked a few off of this plant already and it lost it's green shoulders when fully ripe and went bright red...no darker purple or black colouring.

Anyone.....Anyone......
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergoober View Post

This was labeled as a Black Krim when I got the seed from a friend. She grew Black Cherry, Isis Candy Cherry, Gajo de melon and a Bi-color she isn't sure of. Now I have picked a few off of this plant already and it lost it's green shoulders when fully ripe and went bright red...no darker purple or black colouring.

Anyone.....Anyone......
No one, no one!

It isn't Black Cherry, nor Isis Candy, nor Gajo de Melon and who knows about a bicolor except Gajo de Melon is supposed to be a bicolor cherry.

Bright red?

If she saved seeds from Black Krim then what you probably have are some crossed seeds with an unknown daddy and who knows what?

How many plants did you put out and how many gave the bright red cherries?

If it's the result of a cross with several plants you might have seen other fruits from the saved F2 seeds. If only one plant then perhaps it's best to save some F3 seeds to plant out several plants to see what happens or go back to the seeds sent to you and plant out several plants to see what happens.

But as to an ID as a known variety, no can do given the information you've shared with us that she shared with you as to what other cherries she was growing.

But the possible cross between Black Krim and ? doesn't have to be a cherry since small fruit size is dominant to large fruit size genetically.

The parentage of Isis Candy has Marizol Purple in it, and it's pink, not purple, so who knows if that's a legitimate perp as well.
Old July 26, 2010   #3
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

I only put the one plant out and the other seedlings I grew I had given away but I can not for the life of me remember who I had given those plants to.

The friend who shared the seed is going to her greenhouse to check on her "Black Krim's" to see if anything is off with hers. I know she has planted quite a few.

Whatever this is....it is delicious! Nice, juicy and quite sweet.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote